Author Topic: Pak Shack  (Read 17211 times)

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Pak Shack
« on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:18 AM »
 I was wondering if anyone here owns a Pak Shack. If so, how well do they work? Has anyone had a problem with the chair? I'm a bigger guy at 6'3" 270 lbs and I know those folding camp chairs sometimes don't last long. How is the shack for heating itself? I own a Prowler GT but am looking to maybe find something lighter that I can can use when I go alone and the ice is too thin to drive out. Also, has anyone had any experience with those Eastman Ice Cubes?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pak Shack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2007, 04:44 PM »
i'll be keeping an eye out on this one, i was looking at them and wondering the same thing?
kjb

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:04 PM »
I bought the ice cube last year. Only used it 3 or 4 times. I think it will work great when you go to a place and just plan on settin up tip ups and not moving around. It kept warm nicely with a portable buddy heater. It was quite windy a couple times but I managed to pop it up myself, but did get a little nervous with the wind wanting to kinda blow the wind side of the shanty in somewhat, however it didn't collapse or anything. Again, when it's very cold and windy your prob not going to want to put up and take down over and over. I'm picking up a flip over shanty before this season for times I want to be on the move. Last I checked E-Bay they had some good deals on the ice cube. I paid $140 last year at Sams.
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

chimo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2007, 07:34 AM »
I bought a pack shack off my buddy last year and used it a few times.  cut the wind real nice and as soon as you flipped it over you it seamed like it got warmer.  2 things that aren't as good as they could be.  The bag stinks, only one shoulder strap and it dosn't balance very well, and it already started to rip a little.  The other thing is if the wind is gusting from different directions it dosn't work as well.  The front isn't as strong as the back and it can get blown back towards you.  I figured that I could just get a couple ice screws and pin it in place and it would work better.  All in all, a nice piece of equipment for the money.  I think my buddy picked it up at dicks for $60 at the end of the season.  good fishing

chimo

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2007, 09:27 AM »
I bought the ice cube last year. Only used it 3 or 4 times. I think it will work great when you go to a place and just plan on settin up tip ups and not moving around. It kept warm nicely with a portable buddy heater. It was quite windy a couple times but I managed to pop it up myself, but did get a little nervous with the wind wanting to kinda blow the wind side of the shanty in somewhat, however it didn't collapse or anything. Again, when it's very cold and windy your prob not going to want to put up and take down over and over. I'm picking up a flip over shanty before this season for times I want to be on the move. Last I checked E-Bay they had some good deals on the ice cube. I paid $140 last year at Sams.

I just got one (Ice Cube 4 man) on ebay for $70.00 plus $25.00 shipping. The deals are out there, just keep looking.
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline Bear58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2007, 08:41 PM »
was just about to post the same question, glad I read a little further ::)

just saw the pac shack 3 ..... new this season I guess.

This might be something Buck1985, I think it would work out for me cause my Dad likes to tag along some times ....... we're both not little guys :o

Bear58
OFAH ZONE F

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007, 08:54 PM »
I have a 4 man ice cube, although only good for 2 people comfortably, as like any portable.  I like mine.  Good in the wind once its up and anchored down.  Easy to set up and take down, large windows and door.  I have set it up in some strong winds too.

The only thing I don't like is in the spring when there is no snow on the lake and the temperature is just at or above freezing, the ice screws tend to pull out from the sun beating on them.  I now throw a pile of ice chips and slush over them, so they stay in longer.   I'd still like to get a flip style though, as I think it would be better for moving around lots during the day.  But if you aren't moving lots its a good investment.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2007, 12:43 AM »
My Brother bought the pack shack last year..he seems to like it..I drag a flip style shanty..we move alot ..hole hoppin' ...he now moves a lot more than I do..
As far as comfort ?? I dont know , all I can say is my big butt and those folding chairs dont work together too well. Move more ..find active fish = catch more fish..
There might be some thing to it. .Go sit in one and try it out..grab a rod off the shelf
Practise your favorite jigging moves in the store ..see how ya feel. ;D

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2007, 02:38 AM »
I have a Pak Shak , 1 person, and found it to be too cramped for jigging 2 rods and a flasher setup. It gets warm fast. Also totes a bit bulky out of the pain in A-- bag. Ok  I guess for short trips, quick setups.
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Althought I have not used one on the ice, I have sat in one in a store and played around with it...althought it was roomier then I expected, I dont think it would hold much gear, such as a camera a a vex like my one man frabil does. I also thought that the material was pretty weak, I fish on large windy lakes a lot a think it would not hold up to the pressure

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I have one and they are JUNK...The chair broke during it's second use.To top it off I tried to contact Nature Vision on multiple occasions and got nothing back,no calls no emails no nothing.So buyers beware maybe this is just an isolated incident,but I highly doubt it,I refuse to buy any of their products after their lack of customer service or commitment of standing behind their product.So my advice is go with a sled based flip-over and spend your hard earned cash on a QUALITY shanty-Shappel,Clam,Frabill etc. :tipup:
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2007, 09:17 PM »
I purchased my Pak Shak at the start of the last icefishing season. I agree with the others, that the carry bag could be bigger and should have backpack style straps instead of the single shoulder strap.
I usually only make one ten inch ice hole and that leaves me enough room for my Marcum and my jigging rod inside the PS.
You must always sit with your back to the wind. Last year, during blizzard conditions, I had to tie the back tether strap to my snowmobile. When I got off the chair, the PS started flying like a kite.  :o
 It's good to put something heavy on the seat when you get out of it for anything. The PS gets comfortably warm even without a heater. I can ususally fish inside the PS without mitts on, which is not the norm up here in frigid Manitoba.  :laugh:
I highly recommend the PS.....for convenience and for travelling light.
The only negative I found with mine......you are deemed anti-social when you're holed up in there alone catching all the fish  ::)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Funny how I found my Pak Shack blog on Google when I was searching for an email address for the makers of the PS. Today, one of the hubs next to the left armrest broke apart thereby causing the leg on that side to collapse like a wet noodle.  :o
So I got 2 full years of use from it and now it's trash bound. That's NOT a good investment in my books.
Now all I have left is a large bag with a **censored**ty off center shoulder strap. ::)
I won't be buying another one and after reading the comment by icenut. I won't even bother contacting them  :%$#!:
It's scary to think that they bought out MarCum Technologies  ::)
Blue Igloo

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:44 PM »
I owned one used it twice once to hot to sit in the, second time tethered to my auger once  i got off it was flapping in the wind like a kite. I am now laughing at what a cluster it was extreme wind is an understatement. All and All I donated it to good will. P.O.S. in my book.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I now have a Eskimo Quickfish 111 the only mistake I made is not buying the six man.Been good for four years now.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline chuckt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEATS WORKIN'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2009, 03:21 PM »
We just bought one this year. (PAC Shack 3) It has a piece of rubber hose going along the front, sewn in the fabric.  Any suggestions on replacing it with something that would hold the front down better in the wind? All in all, it is very comfortable to fish in with plenty of room.

Thanks

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:25 AM »
We just bought one this year. (PAC Shack 3) It has a piece of rubber hose going along the front, sewn in the fabric.  Any suggestions on replacing it with something that would hold the front down better in the wind? All in all, it is very comfortable to fish in with plenty of room.

Thanks
Sorry to tell you this man but you got "hosed"  :woot:
Someone had to say it  ;) ;D
I was checking Ebay yesterday for a Clam flip-style and saw lots of PS for sale....practically giving them away.
Wonder why?
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:54 PM »
dont waste your money! put that money towards a flip over like the clam scout, kenai or Frabill Recon dlx.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.