Author Topic: Beaver Dam Glow in the Dark Tip up come in  (Read 3070 times)

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beaver Dam Glow in the Dark Tip up come in
« on: Feb 23, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I just recently purchased a Glow in the Dark Beaver Dam tip up off ebay. I also had one of these that I purchased a few years ago. THe tip up I received looks nothing like the tip up that I have. The one I got has the sticker placed on the board and it is not even completely fastened, the edges are pealing up, the inside part of the board where the assembly attaches is not routed out and left squared off, there is no thick textured glow laminate over the entire board and sticker like the one I have, and no barcode on the bottom. My question is weather or not this is how the newer ones are coming or did I get a fake. I am very unhappy with this tip up and I need to get an answer. If this is in fact the quality of Beaver Dam and their newer tip ups  it is sad that this is what their quality has come down to in just a matter of a couple years.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beaver Dam Glow in the Dark Tip up come in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:17 PM »
I saw those on ebay a week or so ago and may have bid against you. They looked like the real deal to me. I guess I would either contact the seller and or uncle josh. I love my beaver dams but with uncle josh buying them they may have cheapened them.  May I ask do they have the soldered spool on them or the threaded.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:27 PM »
It has the threaded spool, my older one has the soldered spool. As far as I know Uncle Josh never made the Glow in the Dark ones, they were not even available this year. The spools were also switched over at this time as far as I know. Everything with this tip up just doesn't seem right to me. The spool doesn't even fit all the way in the hole for storing as it binds in there. The older one I have is so much nicer and had I known this was the junk I was getting I would not have even bothered bidding on it.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I would call uncle josh in ft atkinson and ask them if they ever made them. If it has a threaded shaft it would of been made by them. I think you want to ask for Adam if i remember right. 

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I called and sent him pictures of the tip up I am referring to and a comparison to my other one. The guy I bought the tip up from says it is in fact an actual Beaver Dam. I am still unsure as the quality has really gone down hill and it has only been two years since I bought the other one. If it turns out this is true I will not be buying another new Beaver Dam after seeing the terrible workmanship on this one.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:35 PM »
I hope everything works out for you.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Thank you, I hope so too. I was hoping I would get an identical tip up to the one I have but I guess not. Now I play the waiting game. I will be on the lookout for older used tip ups now though.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:23 PM »
I have a bunch of brand new ones in boxes that i am saving for my kids. I know where there are a few older ones in ok shape to good shape if you are ever looking.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I also saw those on e-bay and they looked exactly like the ones that my buddy has. He bought his last year and the craftsmanship has changed over the years. It's a shame that they charge so much money for the new ones and the quality has gone away. The one thing he says is the glow in the dark paint is much better than it used to be and with the new spools you can grease them with out too much hassle. I wish I would have bid on them because they are getting harder to find. I think you got a pretty good deal.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I just got two new ones this week. That's how they are. A threaded nut and star lock washer on the spool,and a quick, maybe sanding sealer on the wood. I plan on adding another
nut to lock against the one on there to prevent it from coming off as one guy posted that his spool fell off in the hole. Sad to say that made in USA isn't always top quality as it
used to be or seem.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Yeah I think I may make myself a new board for this one if I am stuck with it. Not only is the workmanship terrible on it but right next to the wing nut there is a large knot. I am afraid if anything decent decides to run with the line the board will be very weak at this location. I will then sand it down rout it and make a board that looks as good as the old beaver dams were. Just sucks that I paid a premium hoping to get the same quality product in return and ended op with this joke of a product.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.