Author Topic: 11 Mile - 14 Dec 14 - No Secrets  (Read 1212 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
11 Mile - 14 Dec 14 - No Secrets
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Decided to cruise up to 11 Mile and do a half day trip yesterday.  We got to Stoll at 12:30 yesterday and there was about 10" of new snow everywhere.  Pretty amazing.  We didn't venture out too far because I didn't bring my sled with skis.  We set up about 150 yards offshore in 9FOW.  Ice was 5" everywhere I checked.  There were two pressure ridges off Stoll, a bigger one to the right and a smaller one to the left.  With that much snow and not being able to see the conditions around the ridges, we steered clear of them.

We iced five fish (4 trout, 1 pike) within the first two hours and then it died when the wind began to blow around 3PM.  The trout were almost identical, between 17-18".  The pike was 22" - a good eater.  No action on the deadstick.  Kasty's and Chubby Darters (perch) were the ticket yesterday.

We need a good windy day to blow that snow off so the ice can grow again.  The ice must have sagged a bit with that much snow because water came pouring out of the holes, leaving us in 1/2" of standing water.  Slush built up on the Stabilicers and walking on the slick ice under the snow was difficult.  I think I slipped and fell 5-6 times in that 150 yards.  Still use caution!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: 11 Mile - 14 Dec 14 - No Secrets
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Good report --- sounds like you guys had a good time out there.  Early ice fish up there always seem to be really aggressive, chasing Kasty's and such.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Fished it friday and pretty much the same action 5 bows and two small pike. Must have missed 8-10 fish. Most everything on a spoon and a few off a dead stick.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Thank you for the report. I'm going up mid-week and now I know to bring the smitty to carry the flip. Maybe throw on a little shovel too.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Thanks for the report, could you tell if anyone tried near coyote ridge yet? Thanks again

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Saw one truck parked at Coyote Ridge on Sunday. 

Offline fishmohr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Great report.  Thanks for sharing.  I might head up on sunday.

Offline Hambone77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:25 AM »
How was the water clarity?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Nice report. How often do hear of someone wanting a "good windy day" at the Mile? ;D

Offline Griff8185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:54 AM »
More than likely heading up there tomorrow! Thanks for the report! Any ideas on what to use jiggin for trout? Used to using live bait on tip ups in NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Good luck to the rest of your season.
Flags flyin' high!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for the excellent report, _Colorado.  Its fishermen like you that makes IceShanty worthwhile. Once I get out, I will reciprocate accordingly.  I always have good luck at 11 Mile using a 1/64 oz jig tipped with a waxy or spike maggot.  I fish it dead stick half way to the bottom and have taken some very large trout.  You must use line less than 4 lb test for the trout to inhale the jig.

Thanks again for you info. :tipup:

Offline Griff8185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:23 PM »
If anyone wants to link up tomorrow, PM me. More than happy to have someone to fish with. Everyone im friends with here can't handle the cold. Haha. I have a rough idea on where to go. fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the update. I'll post something after my trip tomorrow.
Flags flyin' high!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Sorry for the late reply - I was working in Berkeley for a few days. 

Hambone - can't really judge the water clarity because of so much snow on Sunday.  We were able to make out the bottom in 9FOW, especially when the kastys laid flat on the bottom so I imagine it's going to be pretty good this year.

Coboy - you are right about the windy day comment!  I guess we got the cold while I was gone.  Up there on Saturday with my 14 year old granddaughter.  Her first ice fishing trip - she's past due!  Not sure which shore to hit but may stay on the north.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.