Author Topic: Marion ice reports  (Read 1719 times)

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marion ice reports
« on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Starting a thread for ice conditions and fishing reports. Kansas is a small state and does get a lot of pressure but I don't want to turn this into a "tight lipped" forum. I want it to help out guys around the state, because as far as I can tell there is no ice report from anywhere else.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marion ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Marion the ramps are still open, sheet ice forming in the shallow coves and that is it.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Ice up by the dam started out 3-5" thick mostly blow ice, with the highs winds it broke up the ice on the lake and caused some seriously thick ice near the damn, only to break up again by sunday evening. From what I was told the crappie was a good bite but the ice sounded pretty unstable to me. I personally have only drove by it and looked and chucked a large rock over to test the ice.

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I fished up by the dam yesterday, the ice is very thick. We had a hard time getting our auger past all the ice chuncks. If you have an extension you better bring it. Fising was slow we got 7 small crappie 3 whites and a couple buffalo. Another guy was catching alot of small walleye. We checked a spot further up the lake and only found 2.5" at the most but it's good clear ice.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:40 PM »
that's the second report I have heard of ice that was super thick but the damn, 36"+ all that blow ice refreezing I assume. Id be all over a boatload of walleyes, but a hand drill on a foot of ice is a workout let alone 3-4 feet lol this is kansas

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:51 PM »
I've never seen anything like it. You think you're through till you drop your jig down and it only goes 2 feet and stops lol.

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:25 PM »
LOL That would be interesting to see.  I don't have an extension for my auger, but maybe I should invest in one.

Thanks for the report on the current Ice on the main lake as I wondered what it was like out there.   

Offline skinner80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:25 AM »
  Here is a pic of the conditions there it is very unique since large slabs of ice were pushed up there by the wind then refroze.  I personally didn't even get out on it cause it looked like a nightmare to walk across. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.