The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Time to use your head ...and THINK OF YOUR LIFE  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Time to use your head ...and THINK OF YOUR LIFE
« Reply #60 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Copy BUD!!  Stay topside!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #61 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:02 PM »
We were out on Hunters Lake today.  The fishing has been very good, but today was our last trip out.  Last Monday there was 12" of ice.  Friday there was 10" of ice.  Today there was 7" of ice, and out over deeper water there was about 5".  The temps have been in the teens at night and the lake was grumbling this morning when we arrived, but we won't venture out again, we are losing ice too fast, and I like staying dry.  It's better to walk off the ice a few days early and have next season than being a statistic over a couple of fish.  I know there is some safe ice further north and in higher elevations, just be safe when it comes time for your season to come to an end.  Tight lines and safe ice to all of you!!!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #62 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:03 AM »
There might have been "plenty" of ice, but can tell by shavings its honeycombed!!

less than half of the 16"+ was but I'm sure you can tell that from a cell phone pic  ???

if striper are biting water is warmin up

guess the water was warming up back in Feb when it was hovering around 0 for a week than too since we got a few  ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:19 AM »
When I started this post...I did not say stay off of the ice....wanted all to use your head going out...safety first...Picks, rope, life jacket  and most of all don't go alone...bad ice is like a trapdoor.....it will open  before you eyes....gets. Soft  from both sides of the ice a crack will not  weld back ....it will start to melt ...just be safe...all was fun this year on the ice for me and friends...use care........BE  SAFE...TIGHT LINES....
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I wish I could post pics. I'm glad I didn't cash it in and decided to go instead. The cold snap made the ice solid top to bottom. And man oh man it was the absolute hottest bite I've hit all year!!! Can you post pics from a smart phone without the use of a computer? Limited out by 11 am and they were still bitin!!

Offline buckinnuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:35 PM »
yeah you can from smart phone...i think for this dite you need a host site like photobucket...app available..not that hard to do

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Would appreciate a little how to. I'll check the photo bucket thing. I'm sorry!! I'm not very "net savvy" I'm still tryin to figure out the smart phone ha ha! I can follow directions though to anyone that can assist. Thanks!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:43 PM »
if you go to the home page or use the search function it will tell you how to do it on a computer I would think if you are able to post on here you should also be able to do that too

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:58 PM »
I am at a loss 1mo. I am on this site only from my smart phone. My computer is fubar. It's not even mine to begin with. Is it possible from a smart phone without a computer ?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:13 PM »
I  am not sure I'm lucky I found this sight and hard to believe but I don't have a smart phone.but I went through photo bucket following the instructions on here

Offline buckinnuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Down load app..register...create album...tap pic...hit menu then..tap linls...hold finger on direct link..to copy...next..in a reply box hit image...then hold finger between..img brackets..and paste...did this with phone

Offline buckinnuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:07 AM »
when you create album on photobucket you can have the choice to auto upload pics to the album..makes it easier..then you can tap picture and dont have to upload..really not all that hard...they have good directions to follow

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Thanks. I'll try that.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:43 PM »
A re post from last year at this time...be safe...

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 14, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Yes mommy...

I am sure that your warning come from a good place, but I am now a big boy. I have gone through the ice before and will most likely again, I don't like doing it, it cuts into my fishing time. I also know I am in more danger driving to the lake then when I am out on the lake. When I look over at the guy passing me on the highway, talking on the phone, has a open new paper on his lap and is eating a donut (I am not making this up), I feel much safer on thin ice! Thanks for the warning, but we already are in to much of a "nanny" state with police kicking ice fisherman off safe ice all the time, they don't need any help from fellow fisherman...

Not being smart or trying to cause an arguement but big boys die every day. Remember it only takes once. Seeing someone driving the way you said doesn't make the ice any safer. It gave you a false sense of security which can lead to taking things for granted. My freind I know you won't try to fall through the ice on purpose. Thats why they call it terrible accidents.This is late ice the most umpredictabe time of year. Everyone please be safe these final weeks.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Kov, just saying be careful,not telling you to quit. I fish with the guy 10-15 times a year,he just concerned ,we don't need to be reading about any horrible accidents that could and should have been prevented. But I'm sure there will be more. I quit on the 9th my choice,had enough,had my fun,caught tons of fish and stayed on top one more year. Kov fished a couple more days his choice. He stayed on top another year. I love the late ice bite but hate unknown rotten ice,good here not so good there much rather be on 4 inches of gin clear first ice than rotten milky white ice that rain has weakened. All my bad experience have been on late  ONE MORE DAY MARCH ICE. As you get older you respect ice more and are just thankful for the 3 months that I fished this year.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Yes I fished 2 days after you called it quits for 1 more year....we used a plank to get on ....I drilled  a new hole to see 1st hand what the ice looked like from top to bottom what I saw I knew was time to quit  ...white soft ice on top and honey comb starting on the bottom.... What most  Don't look for... The ice getting weak from the water side..... it was a great winter this year....all said  watch your self if on ice  it will open like a trap door....you will be in before you know. Don't go alone....be safe use your head thing of family friends...and next year to do it again....I will never tell someone ....to stay. Off of the ice ...but I will say to him or her to be safe ...no fish is worth a life ...who it may be.....tight lines. ...welcome spring....open water next....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.