Author Topic: Fishing the cowan  (Read 1213 times)

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing the cowan
« on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:05 PM »
 Help! I want to fish the cowan and was wondering if anyone knew of a good spot to go in.I plan on bringing a shack and realize that i will probably have to pull it in. I've never fished it and don't know what the access is like.

galvanizednail

Re: Fishing the cowan
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:57 PM »
man im jealous!  i moved to bc and dont get me wrong theres world class fishing here! but cowan lake is one of my most memorable trips ever!  anywhere is good!!!!!!!!  seriously!!!! we were catching 5 pound pike every second cast ! and they were hitting every cast!!!!!!!!!of course we were in a boat at that time but no matter where we trolled it was incredible. i would be very careful on the ice as it is part of a river system so a decent flow underneath. but sounds like there should be lots of ice from the temps youve been getting. i would try where the channel narrows as the fish patrol up and down so you would increase your percentages.
there is a summer camp about halfway up the lake right off the highway. good boat launch so if they plow the driveway in the winter that would be your best bet.the one that got away is about 2 miles north of there.
I had on a five pound pike putting up as much resistance as he could. all of a sudden its like he jumped in the back of a speed boat as my reel started smoking!   then nothing.......just reeled him in like a bed of weeds! i proceeded to land a bloody tailless pike!!  I dream of going back for that monster someday...mabe this may

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: Fishing the cowan
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Hi Percys,
 You defiantly picked a good fishing spot. I have been there several times during the open water season and each time has been fantastic.
 I only keep a couple to take home for a meal but over one weekend, I and two other angles caught 50 Northern Pike, the average around 3-4 lbs and a couple pushing 8 or 9 plus I lost 2 Monsters that I am not sure how big, one I lost at the boat and the second never moved him from the bottom. It also has a healthy perch fishery and an odd walleye are now being caught. I have never tried it in winter but have friends there and they say they can catch fairly consistently in winter.
 As far as getting on the lake you can access it by driving to main street Big River and turn west and follow the street right to the lake. Another access would be a camp site that is half way up the lake, it will be to your left. Like galvanizednail said Cowan lake has a fair amount of current, caution is advised, defiantly do some test drills before setting out onto the lake, also watch the beaver dams, the ice around them will be very thin. Also when fishing the bottom is littered with logs and stumps so may loose a lure or two on them.
 As for lures really anything will work, but I would recommend trying larger lures like a large rubber shad,curly tail, or smelt  should work for the big bruisers that prowl those waters.
 good luck this weekend and have a blast!!  :tipup: :thumbsup:

Water Wolf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.