The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fish Pond  (Read 341 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish Pond
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:31 PM »
I took my pastor ice fishing at Fish Pond (Windsor Lake) in North Adams today, from 10 AM to 2:30 PM.

It started cloudy and cold (about 10 degrees) during the morning and later started snowing steadily in the afternoon.

I was surprised how poor the quantity (3" to 4") and quality (slushy) of the ice was given the cold temps we've been having during the last week.

I guess I failed to adequately account for the "blanket" effect of the snow cover (about 3" or so in most spots).

Although a seasoned fisherman, my pastor had never been ice fishing before, but took to it like a pro.

We did OK but not great - - a mix of bass, crappie, pickerel and (mostly) perch on a combination of tip ups, dead sticks and jigging.

Neither the numbers nor the size of the fish were terribly impressive, but they were all at least decent sized, without a dink in the bunch.

I also brought my "chuck wagon" along so we had a hot lunch - - portabello pork ole, green beans, corn bread, beer (for me), wine (for my pastor), fruit (apple/clementine), and a pot of hot coffee.

There were a few other fishermen while we were there who generally seemed to be doing about the same as us - - although I did talk to one guy who fished closer to the "beach house" shore and evidently caught at least a few rainbows.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Ashmere to fish with a different group of friends.  Wish me luck!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Fish Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:41 PM »
Good luck!

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish Pond
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:50 PM »
Great to get a variety of fish and size. It is amazing that the ice is still thin and not the greatest quality, but that’s the season we are having. Was out today and was a cold day, but had some luck with a few bass and 5-6 pickerel 16”-20” range. Good luck with your next adventure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.