The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Messalonskee  (Read 1681 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Messalonskee
« on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Headed to Messalonskee in the morning.   We're on foot with full sleds behind us.  Any word on the access at the boat landing? 

I understand that the bite has been slow.  If it can get any worse, it's likely to happen tomorrow.  I've spent about 50 hours going after pike there and have only had one flag.  Mind you, it was a delightful fish, but still...

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Messalonskee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Went out 2 weeks ago. It was after the big storm in late January but there has been a little bit of snowfall since. I only walked out about 100 feet, just curious on the snow myself. I had no gear and I was fine. It was packed really well from snowmobiles and other traffic. I can't speak for how it is past those 100 feet but I imagine if you stay in the tracks, you should have little problem. I love fishing Messo. Slow fishing but any fish out of there is worthwhile. Good luck 
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Packed well by sleds. You should be more than able to get out and move up and down the lake. Once you get off the trails its a different story. Best of luck!

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2015, 05:53 PM »
The lake was well packed and made for relatively easy travelling on foot.  The fishing sucked.  No flags.  No fish on the flasher.  Nobody near us had any luck, either.  But I'll try it again.

Thanks for the responses.

-Ron

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I've only fished it once. Down towards the outlet. We did pretty well but it was the last week in march

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:32 PM »
from the sidney boat launch, you gotta walk almost clear across the lake and get out of the cluster of shacks to get on some fish. i had a little action fishing off the point by the launch but moved when everyone and their brother started showing up and bombing around on sleds and wheelers. also, fishing the islands to the left of the launch might be worth trying, but it's too far on foot. i also heard through the grapevine that fishing the oakland boat launch by messo stream can be productive for brookies. i've only fished the sidney launch. regardless of where you fish, it's gonna be slow. it's not called slow pond for nothing

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:47 PM »
How much ice did you have?

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:36 PM »
My shack is in the belgrade end in the big part of the lake and there is at least 2 feet of ice.

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:48 PM »
2 weeks back my 18 inch skimmer couldn't reach the bottom of the hole. I was in Sidney.

Offline Xray-guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:15 PM »
I fished it for the first time 3 weeks ago.  Put in at Sidney landing. We fished the other side. The going was not good with sleds.  We managed  2 pike 27" and 24" and a monster white perch.
The shack we were at is big. It must weigh 1500-2000 lbs.  With the snow the way it was I suggested to the owners the best way to get the shack off was to burn it, sweep up the ashes and
pick up the skis  ;D  They didn't like that idea  ;D

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:18 PM »
How much ice did you have?
There were a few inches of packed snow on top of about six inches of ice.  Then around eight or ten inches of water and slush, then another twenty to twenty-four inches of good ice.  There was only a few inches of Nils showing when I got through to water.

-Ron

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  Headed up there this weekend.  Knew there would be plenty, just wanted to see what I was in for.  Tight lines!!

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.