The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Hermon Pond Warning  (Read 2061 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hermon Pond Warning
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Please be careful at the landing on the West End of Hermon Pond.  The hump of ice right at the landing has started breaking up.  There is currently a tire-swallowing 2 foot wide and 2 foot deep hole that will cause some damage. 

I intend to go over with a chain saw tomorrow after work to break the whole hump down.

-Ron

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hermon Pond Warning
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:00 PM »
That's not the first hump you've tackled..
heard about the cammel..

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Please be careful at the landing on the West End of Hermon Pond.  The hump of ice right at the landing has started breaking up.  There is currently a tire-swallowing 2 foot wide and 2 foot deep hole that will cause some damage. 

I intend to go over with a chain saw tomorrow after work to break the whole hump down.

-Ron
Call me when you head over, if i'm around i will bring plow over.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:45 AM »
Good God, Hermon Pond has a Highway Department ;D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:49 AM »
They are like Knights! ...with shining aluminum cans, chainsaws, big trucks and plows, going to do battle!  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Just4TheBuckOfIt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:18 AM »
haha but people will be thanking that highway dept.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:22 AM »
pond ain't that big. ever think of walking out to fish.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I have a hip that needs replacing
 Kinda limits the walking
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:28 PM »
I hear the road commisiner works for beer!!!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:29 PM »
So if you come over please don't walk in the plowed road!! I will save some snow for you to walk out in ;D ::)
Is it ice time yet???

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Was going to ask who the commisoner is and who holds the stop slow sign.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Thank you trapper. He sawed ice and I plowed and broke it up road is good
Is it ice time yet???

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Huge thanks to MadTrapper and Snopro, who got there before I did and fixed the landing. 

For those of you who question the need for the road, I would like to introduce you to the grandfather and his grandson who were out there last weekend.  He couldn't walk more than fifty feet and was tickled to have a place to fish.  To add to that, he didn't have an auger, but a 14" chainsaw.  It didn't do him much good on 16" of ice.  Snopro's auger was donated for the cause. 

Add to that all of the people who are able to fish comfortably from their vehicles on the turnouts that are plowed off the road and you have hundreds of people who enjoy the pond who would otherwise not have a place to fish. 

No, it's not too far to walk.  But we're not looking for a rustic, natural experience.  For one day each weekend we're looking for a place for our families to go and be comfortable.  For the second day we're going to have a guy's day and live it up.  Responsibly.  Not driving anywhere.

For those of you who haven't been there, do you remember the first time that you saw "Grumpy Old Men" and saw the shacks lined up side-by-side along the road?  Didn't you think that looked fun?  We're not quite that close, but close enough that a baseball cap suffices for a walk between shacks on the cold days without danger of frostbite.  Close enough that if I run out of cheese to make omelets for my family on Saturday morning I can walk next door and borrow some.  Close enough that if the fishing in Snopro's shack slows down, he can come over and try it in mine, and go back to his own when he realizes that my jigging holes are just as bad.  Close enough that when I want to introduce a friend to a guy who really knows how to fish, we can walk over to MadTrapper's shack and say "Hi".

If we were interested in catching the biggest fish, we'd be elsewhere.  We're out there to visit with friends, provide family and friends the opportunity to catch some fish, and enjoy ourselves.

And, yes, we drink beer.  (Not MadTrapper.  Don't confuse him with us rabble-rousers.)  But nobody gets hurt.  Yet.

If you're reading this you're welcome at my shack any time.  I promise not to judge you.  I expect the same.

-Ron

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Appreciate the work you guys do for the rest of us. When I get over there I'll bring a shiny can or two. ;D

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Huge thanks to MadTrapper and Snopro, who got there before I did and fixed the landing. 

For those of you who question the need for the road, I would like to introduce you to the grandfather and his grandson who were out there last weekend.  He couldn't walk more than fifty feet and was tickled to have a place to fish.  To add to that, he didn't have an auger, but a 14" chainsaw.  It didn't do him much good on 16" of ice.  Snopro's auger was donated for the cause. 

Add to that all of the people who are able to fish comfortably from their vehicles on the turnouts that are plowed off the road and you have hundreds of people who enjoy the pond who would otherwise not have a place to fish. 

No, it's not too far to walk.  But we're not looking for a rustic, natural experience.  For one day each weekend we're looking for a place for our families to go and be comfortable.  For the second day we're going to have a guy's day and live it up.  Responsibly.  Not driving anywhere.

For those of you who haven't been there, do you remember the first time that you saw "Grumpy Old Men" and saw the shacks lined up side-by-side along the road?  Didn't you think that looked fun?  We're not quite that close, but close enough that a baseball cap suffices for a walk between shacks on the cold days without danger of frostbite.  Close enough that if I run out of cheese to make omelets for my family on Saturday morning I can walk next door and borrow some.  Close enough that if the fishing in Snopro's shack slows down, he can come over and try it in mine, and go back to his own when he realizes that my jigging holes are just as bad.  Close enough that when I want to introduce a friend to a guy who really knows how to fish, we can walk over to MadTrapper's shack and say "Hi".

If we were interested in catching the biggest fish, we'd be elsewhere.  We're out there to visit with friends, provide family and friends the opportunity to catch some fish, and enjoy ourselves.

And, yes, we drink beer.  (Not MadTrapper.  Don't confuse him with us rabble-rousers.)  But nobody gets hurt.  Yet.

If you're reading this you're welcome at my shack any time.  I promise not to judge you.  I expect the same.

-Ron
Sounds like a good place to be.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Ron- very well said. I tip my hat to the Hermon Pond Highway Dept. I for one greatly appreciate that the lake has such improved access thanks to you folk. Even us people without big trucks can drive out if the conditions are favorable, and makes the walk much easier when conditions aren't.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:10 PM »
The highway crew plowed it today,will go back in the am, some shacks took hell out in the wind!!!!   :(
Is it ice time yet???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.