The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Dogsled  (Read 1454 times)

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
Dogsled
« on: Jun 20, 2012, 05:56 AM »
I just picked up and old school metal dogsled on the side of the road for $20!  A little paint and plywood and it will look like new.  I did a search around and I didn't find much, but I was wondering if anyone has fabricated an auger mount on a sled like this to keep it out of the basket.  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Hope everyones open water season is going well.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: Dogsled
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Awesome! I too bought one about a month ago but it ran me $100. It's all set and ready to go though, so no need for plywood. At $20 you can't go wrong!!
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline downeastduckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Did ye???
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2012, 06:28 PM »
I have two left to me after my father-in-law passed three years ago.  He cut them down the middle and widened them so that the skis would trail either an ATV track or snowmobile.  My buddy has been using my extra one, he wants to buy it desperately but I'm not letting go of these.  For that I'll put him on permanent loan.

As far as mounting the auger, I bought at Home Depot one of those coated U-screws  ;D  It holds the auger blade in place, but I always keep my pack basket away from anything dangerous.

Congrats on the nice pick up.

Offline bigsky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2012, 05:29 AM »
Great buy

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2012, 05:51 AM »

As far as mounting the auger, I bought at Home Depot one of those coated U-screws  ;D  It holds the auger blade in place, but I always keep my pack basket away from anything dangerous.

I'm thinking I want to rig something up so the auger rides on the outside of the actual basket.  95% of the time my sone is with me which mean 2 pack baskets (cause God forbid we share one), 2 chairs, bait bucket, cooler, and whatever else he feel like he needs.  I mounted a truck gunrack on the back of the sled that I built a couple years ago that the auger fit right into and it left the box open for everything else.  I think I'll need to find someone with a welder!

Offline downeastduckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Did ye???
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:03 PM »
If you plan on towing the sled with a snowmobile or ATV, you may want to fabricate a shield to keep snow, slush, and ice off your gear.  I scored some felt used to dry paper at a mill and screwed it to the front and put grommets on the back side so I could bungee it to the back. 

Good luck on the project, my wife hates it when I get thinking about modifying everything I own.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2012, 06:37 AM »
The Digger auger carrier will bolt right to the back of your dogsled and away you go, for $39 bucks you can't beat it !

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2012, 08:03 AM »
I noticed on Craigslist Maine a mod 30 Jiffy auger for sale in Wiscassett for $75.  Looks rough, but has a auger bit with it.  Might
work fine with a little TLC, or spare parts.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I also made a carrier for my Jiffy auger on my dogsled.  It mounts in the back where a possible spare passenger might standup
and ride.  I made it out of spare metal I had laying around.  I use the snowmobile for carrying my spare passenger.  Whatever
works for you.

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I may try to fabricate something like that digger carrier...looks pretty sweet.  I'd like to see what that clamp is they use to hold the auger in a little closer.  Looks like a great idea.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2012, 11:02 AM »
go to www.diggeranchor.com they have close up photos, it looks like the hold down clamps they use in machine shops to hold parts in jigs.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2012, 12:11 AM »
Google Carr Lane they make that toggle style clamp that we use at the shop, might be able to modify one to work.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2012, 12:48 PM »
I made a yoke out of wood and mounted it on a big plastic fish box. when i take off the rear seat of my long track the box fits in place and then I strap in in place carries all my bait traps and auger, The dog sled with the metal skis will pick up water and ice build up can really slow you down .I have been lining the skis with plastic liners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.