The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Camper trailer/ice shack  (Read 11601 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Camper trailer/ice shack
« on: Jul 17, 2012, 04:15 PM »
As we make it through the hottest days of the year I, as many of us do, still obsess about ice fishing.  I found a camper trailer that I'd like to convert into a wheelhouse.  It's 8' by 12' and in decent shape on the outside.  The inside would likely be gutted. 

Does anyone have any experience with using an aluminum sided camper as a shack?  One concern is weight, and I think that I can get rid of a lot of weight by stripping the appliances and other "guts".  Are there other drawbacks?  What am I missing and why don't I see more of these on the ice? 

Thanks,

Ron

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Camper trailer/ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2012, 04:23 PM »
I have a tip, dont let it sink to the bottom of lake, we did last year, got it out in spring with power boat .

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2012, 04:27 PM »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2012, 05:24 PM »
As we make it through the hottest days of the year I, as many of us do, still obsess about ice fishing.  I found a camper trailer that I'd like to convert into a wheelhouse.  It's 8' by 12' and in decent shape on the outside.  The inside would likely be gutted. 

Does anyone have any experience with using an aluminum sided camper as a shack?  One concern is weight, and I think that I can get rid of a lot of weight by stripping the appliances and other "guts".  Are there other drawbacks?  What am I missing and why don't I see more of these on the ice? 

Thanks,

Ron
I can help rip it apart for beer! Has it had any water damage? Floor good?
Is it ice time yet???

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I can help rip it apart for beer! Has it had any water damage? Floor good?

The floor seems good, aside from the 1970's linoleum.  The walls don't show any water damage, but who knows.  I would gladly pay you in beer for your expertise.  I would just ask that you not wield a hammer or crowbar.  I've seen the damage that you can do with a jigging rod.  I can't imagine what you could do with a tool intended for wrecking. 

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2012, 06:35 AM »
Go thru the Ice Shack Tips area, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=66634.260

they make great ice shacks and your imagination is all it takes as they are really easy to make into what you want. One concern though is weight, you mentioned it but remember these style shacks are mid season use only as they are heavy no matter what! Mines a 16 footer and I won't go out on anything less than 14 inches of good ice!

Slick!
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2012, 06:38 AM »
Here is a complete teardown and build of an 8' x12' camper with lots of info and progress photos !

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=198042.0

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Here is a complete teardown and build of an 8' x12' camper with lots of info and progress photos !

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=198042.0

he wants help doing an old solid wall camper, not a pop-up.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline MEyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2012, 08:03 AM »
I think the other reason you don't see many on the ice is because even if the camper is in not so good of shape they are still being sold for a few hundred bucks that gets expensive when you have that much in it to start

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 PM »
I figure that a stripped 12' camper would still weigh less than my current shack, an 8' by 6' with a 6' picture window, three roll-out windows, 2"x4" construction, 1/2" plywood walls covered by Typar and vinyl siding (I know...I wanted it to be pretty), 3/4" flooring, and 4"x8" PT wood skis.  I love it, but if I'm going to have something that heavy, I figure that it should be on wheels, not skis. 

I don't take it out until the 3/4 ton plow truck has made its way out well before me, so there's got to be well over a foot of ice.  My entire family (wife, mistress, and three kids) all want to fish, so I figure that I had better make plenty of room.  My wife and mistress don't get along, so an 8' by 6' doesn't cut it in tough weather when we all want to be inside the shack.  Plus, I didn't build my current shack with overnights in mind and I'd like to be able to crash there when Snopro comes out and pours beer down my throat until midnight.

It's definitely time to go bigger.  I'm just wondering if a camper is the way to go.

-Ron 

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I really think it is the way to go and theres so many styles of campers the skys the limit on what you can do! Granted it will be a money pit but what ain't?? I use mine year round, why not it's still a camper , just has holes in the floor and with the catch covers in place and a drop rug over them you don't even know there there. Wife loves it, she can pull it with her Astro van no problem when she and the girls wanna head out and do something fun by them selves, nothing to set up other than the awning and some outside chairs n card tables. I left the toilet in mine and rigged a nice circular curtain on chains and a roller track around it for a little privacy, no holding tank but we use Glad Force Flex bags to line it, they won't tear or leak and toss em in a bucket in the truck and they freeze solid in no time!!  Camping wise we usually are in a campground with showers/toilets so no problems there either..  Now you wanna go really big/Taj Mahal my brother converted a 27 foot construction trailer, it's on skids and is towed out by Barnacles Resort on the north side of Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota..  Sleeps 8, 15 holes and all the immenities as well!! 

Slick!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Pick up some old poontoon boat floats . Then you can take it out on the lake before it freezes and anchor it. No worries about it ever sinking.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Pick up some old poontoon boat floats . Then you can take it out on the lake before it freezes and anchor it. No worries about it ever sinking.
Don't give him any ideas! He is very gulible!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2012, 02:16 PM »
The pontoon thing had been a running joke about the household for a couple of years.  I've had a couple of 10' pontoons just sitting in the back corner of my "to-do-something-with" corner of the back yard.  I sold them a couple of weeks ago to someone who came up with a good idea for them.

Additionally, it turns out that someone beat me to the camper that I had my eye on.  Apparently the buyer was going to convert it into an ice shack.  I guess I'm not alone in my thinking.  I've still got my eyes open for another.  Worst case scenario, I'll have The Lakehouse back out on Hermon Pond next to Snopro again this winter; I think that it's time for my kids to learn a few new and creative ways of cussing.  Plus, the food's good there.  And I've still got a portable to lug around, should I decide to rough it. 

Damn, I can't wait for ice-up.

-Ron 

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Keep an eye out on craigslist, especially the free section, you won't believe how many get posted there..  ;D

Slick!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Dang!!!!! That's nice!!!!!! I like it!!!!  :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor