New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1344708 times)

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8610 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Ive cleaned many salmon and trout this fall with those things inside of them.  They should be banned.

Offline flyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8611 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I have found those rubber worms in fish too.  I agree they should be biodegradable.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8612 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:11 PM »

I'm with you Slipbob unless those bass have stripes!

Right on love catching spring stripers in the Hudson and in Maine in the summer. 

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8613 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:14 PM »
I have found those rubber worms in fish too.  I agree they should be biodegradable.

Agree.  Not going to be a ban but I think there's enough evidence out there now in lakes that have both bass and lakers that this is a problem.  You could probably dead stick senkos on tip ups with circle hooks for lakers and do well if you ran out of minnows :tipup: 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8614 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Right on love catching spring stripers in the Hudson and in Maine in the summer.

I've been chasing them with a fly rod every Spring for 23 years now on Cape Cod...

(42"... the first 40+" fish caught from my buddy's new boat.)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8615 on: Feb 27, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Im a canal addict myself Bob.  Pb is 52" released.

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8616 on: Feb 27, 2018, 01:17 PM »

51 released after pic

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8617 on: Feb 27, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Sadly, and everyone knows this...boat stripers don't count!     ;D

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8618 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Sadly, and everyone knows this...boat stripers don't count!     ;D

And I don't count them unless they're caught on the fly rod.  ;-)  Even though my photo was a boat fish, it was a flats fish (Brewster).  I spend most of my time wading the flats and surf.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8619 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Buddy watched a great white maul a seal at South Cape beach last year. With that my flats wading days ended.  The shark was 150 yeards in front of him...cut the seal in half.  I prefer to remain in 1 piece!

Fishmon

« Reply #8620 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Buddy watched a great white maul a seal at South Cape beach last year. With that my flats wading days ended.  The shark was 150 yeards in front of him...cut the seal in half.  I prefer to remain in 1 piece!
[/quote

Did same thing except in Florida.  I was surf fishing on Turtle Beach just south of Siesta Key beach on Gulf coast and was reeling in a Bonita when I just happened to notice a 7 foot Bull Shark making a B line toward either the Bonita or me.  Never got out of the water so fast!  Bonita did not make it except for his head.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8621 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I caught some LG lakers Sunday. I'm now on my way to catch some of those striped things u guys just posted pics of. It sucks that ct has no fishable ice now so I might as well shake the rust off the open water rods.
Go big or go home

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8622 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:42 PM »

A few years back, when the seal population started exploding and the Great Whites moved in to feast on them, the authorities tagged 11 Whites in four days in the exact area we fished on the southern end of South Beach.  That's pretty much the reason my photo was of a boat-caught fish; not because of the sharks, but because the huge numbers of seals have kept the stripers away from the beaches where we used to fish.

For the last few years, I've been doing most of my fishing in Cape Cod Bay.  My fly fishing buddies and I are all cheering for the Great Whites to eat all the seals.  Go get 'em Great Whites!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8623 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:49 PM »
I'm with you Bob.  Ed it was good fishing with you.  The seagull being killed and eaten was my favorite from Sunday's adventure.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8624 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I've been chasing them with a fly rod every Spring for 23 years now on Cape Cod...
(Image removed from quote.)
(42"... the first 40+" fish caught from my buddy's new boat.)

Tight lines,
Bob

That's a great picture and must be a blast on a fly rod.  The area I fish in Maine just north of Kennebunkport is a protected tidal bay so I use my Radisson canoe to troll tube and worm when the tide is in and also wade at low outgoing or incoming and catch the bass on topwater baits mostly.  Never got one over 28" but the smaller ones are tons of fun on walleye tackle and the topwater action can be intense at times.  I think it's a little too cold there for sharks fortunately ;D

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8625 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I've fished Pamet Harbor, Race Point and Herring Cove among other places in the Outer cape for years.
Due to the number of seals, fishing is now just exercise. The old timers still stop by once in a while and they say no one is catching anything from shore.
I see seals every time I go to the beach and I also have seen sharks on a few occasions. It seems to get get worse every year, can't even catch a blue from shore anymore.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8626 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:18 PM »
That's a great picture and must be a blast on a fly rod.  The area I fish in Maine just north of Kennebunkport is a protected tidal bay so I use my Radisson canoe to troll tube and worm when the tide is in and also wade at low outgoing or incoming and catch the bass on topwater baits mostly.  Never got one over 28" but the smaller ones are tons of fun on walleye tackle and the topwater action can be intense at times.  I think it's a little too cold there for sharks fortunately ;D

Thanks, I have lots of better photos of fishing there over the years but since Photobucket started charging exorbitant fees, I don't have them hosted anywhere.  Bay and harbor fishing is fun in a canoe or kayak.  I didn't even put my kayak in the water at the Cape last year but plan to this Spring.

ANY size stripers are fun with the appropriate tackle.  For you guys on the forum that haven't had the pleasure of fishing for them, I would describe their fighting ability as being as much stronger than a smallmouth than a smallmouth is than a largemouth; probably more... they are STRONG and fun. 

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8627 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:20 PM »
I've fished Pamet Harbor, Race Point and Herring Cove among other places in the Outer cape for years.
Due to the number of seals, fishing is now just exercise. The old timers still stop by once in a while and they say no one is catching anything from shore.
I see seals every time I go to the beach and I also have seen sharks on a few occasions. It seems to get get worse every year, can't even catch a blue from shore anymore.

That's why we primarily fish the bay side these days.  I hope to God the seals don't invade the Brewster Flats/Quivett Creek  or Barnstable Harbor area!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8628 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:23 PM »
They hate the canal which is good enough for me.  The only reason I cross the bridge is to fish the other side!

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #8629 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Heading to Wells 4th of July week.any recommendations where to fish from shore?bringing our grankids(11 and 7).just want some action.if you don't want to say on here,you can pm me.thanks!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8630 on: Feb 27, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Fished off Bixby today, access still just OK but not for long.  Took a look at Vets after we finished fishing.   Quite a few guys out but doubt the access will hold for more than a day or two.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8631 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Heading to Wells 4th of July week.any recommendations where to fish from shore?bringing our grankids(11 and 7).just want some action.if you don't want to say on here,you can pm me.thanks!!

I fish goose rocks beach every year....Usually a mix of mackerel, sand worms, clams, or live eels will get it done.  This past summer I couldn't buy a fish over 20".  Fished right off the beach.  A buddy fished Wells the week before i went to Goose Rocks and caught a few keepers.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8632 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Ive cleaned many salmon and trout this fall with those things inside of them.  They should be banned.
Be careful what you wish for. If you think a ban would only be for "senko type baits" you obviously don't know how the system works. It would more likely be a ban on all soft plastics, thereby prohibiting ALL soft plastics. That includes the Maki's a lot of perch guys are using, soft swimbaits and tubes and other soft plastics the laker jggers are all using, etc, etc.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8633 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:43 AM »
I caught some LG lakers Sunday. I'm now on my way to catch some of those striped things u guys just posted pics of. It sucks that ct has no fishable ice now so I might as well shake the rust off the open water rods.

how'd ya do.  I hear its been dead in the housey the last couple weeks

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8634 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:17 AM »
how'd ya do.  I hear its been dead in the housey the last couple weeks

I tried 3 spots upper part of the lower river from rt8 bridge to Sunnyside for 3 hours with not one bump I was going to try a little farther south but got hunrgy and went home. I did hear the outgoing tide after midnight was good tho
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8635 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Be careful what you wish for. If you think a ban would only be for "senko type baits" you obviously don't know how the system works. It would more likely be a ban on all soft plastics, thereby prohibiting ALL soft plastics. That includes the Maki's a lot of perch guys are using, soft swimbaits and tubes and other soft plastics the laker jggers are all using, etc, etc.

This is wise advice!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8636 on: Feb 28, 2018, 12:38 PM »
I always use the vmc jig head with the little hook to hold the plastics on, I don’t think I’ve ever lost one with that set up .I’ve seen people tho plastics in the water because they have poor action or are chewed up like it’s a dead bait fish. I’m not a fan of that

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8637 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Buddy watched a great white maul a seal at South Cape beach last year. With that my flats wading days ended.  The shark was 150 yeards in front of him...cut the seal in half.  I prefer to remain in 1 piece

South cape is my favorite shark beach... it's a blast night fishing in august... nothing like a 300 yard opening run! This is one of my favorite pics from 10 years ago

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8638 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Ive heard and need to give it a shot but August is canal 50#er time for me.  Best thing is guys think its the "doldrums" and I can hunt cows alone for the most part.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8639 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I use to have a 20 foot seanymph ibwouls bring it down to Plymouth ma and the cape for strippers. Tons of fun. You can catch them in the spring in the Hudson River from nyc to the Troy dam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.