The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any new spearing gear for the 08/09 season  (Read 4047 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Any new spearing gear for the 08/09 season
« on: Oct 11, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Anybody get any new spearing gear for the 08/09 winter?  Not much for me.  Might pickup a new ice saw, but that's about it.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any new spearing gear for the 08/09 season
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I'm hoping to get a bigger chainsaw for cutting the spear hole. Right now I use my Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" bar. I'd like to step up to a 372XP with a at least a 30" bar. Other than that, maybe a new decoy or two.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2008, 12:39 AM »
I finally bought an ice saw, now that I can't borrow Whatpoles  ;D.  I forgot how easy they make cutting the spearing hole.  I've made a few attempt at building one, but they just never cut as good as the boughten ones.  Picked mine up at Sportsmans in Wasilla for $98.00.  Gonna build a new point guard for one of my spears, but that's about it

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008, 12:54 PM »
I finally bought an ice saw, now that I can't borrow Whatpoles  ;D.  I forgot how easy they make cutting the spearing hole.  I've made a few attempt at building one, but they just never cut as good as the boughten ones.  Picked mine up at Sportsmans in Wasilla for $98.00.  Gonna build a new point guard for one of my spears, but that's about it

Darkhousefisher, 

Was wondering how long it takes to cut a hole with one of those ice saws?  I am sure it depends on ice thickness what what not but on average.  Was looking at them online and boy do they look mean.  We don't spear in NY and I was just curious. 

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:24 PM »
To cut a 2' by 3' hole in 10" takes roughly 2-3 minutes, not sure though as I have never timed it.  I'll try to remember to time it next time. 

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 01:33 AM »
Darkhousefisher, 

Was wondering how long it takes to cut a hole with one of those ice saws?  I am sure it depends on ice thickness what what not but on average.  Was looking at them online and boy do they look mean.  We don't spear in NY and I was just curious. 

It matters how many holes you start off with but just 4 holes(1 for each corner) at 15" of ice  I would say no more than 10 minutes and that is with my saw which is a old 4ft long wood saw with real big teeth, never tried a real ice saw they look real nice but that is just to much money for a saw, just my opinion.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:59 AM »
To cut a 2' by 3' hole in 10" takes roughly 2-3 minutes, not sure though as I have never timed it.  I'll try to remember to time it next time. 

Same here. Well worth the money. ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:04 AM »
It matters how many holes you start off with but just 4 holes(1 for each corner) at 15" of ice  I would say no more than 10 minutes and that is with my saw which is a old 4ft long wood saw with real big teeth, never tried a real ice saw they look real nice but that is just to much money for a saw, just my opinion.

I only chip one starter hole w/ my spud and when I go to cut the corners I stand the saw straight up and down and twist it a little on the down stroke.  Cuts a corner no problem.  It can cut a 36"x24" hole in 18" of ice and have the block of ice out in about 5 minutes.  I have tried all sorts of methods to cut my spearing hole and an Ice Saw is by far the best.  Once you get one, you'll wish you would have got it sooner.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:55 AM »
I just love them ice saws.specially if someone else is running it.HuH whatpole and Darkhouse. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:56 PM »
I only chip one starter hole w/ my spud and when I go to cut the corners I stand the saw straight up and down and twist it a little on the down stroke.  Cuts a corner no problem.  It can cut a 36"x24" hole in 18" of ice and have the block of ice out in about 5 minutes.  I have tried all sorts of methods to cut my spearing hole and an Ice Saw is by far the best.  Once you get one, you'll wish you would have got it sooner.

NO NO NO don't get me wrong I'm not saying that ice saws are crap cause I'm sure they aren't but what I'm saying is that a wood saw with big teeth will more than likely double your time to cut out a ice block which would make it around 10 minutes. And with what I just said 10 minutes is plenty quick enough for me, but I can see that allot of people like to use portable DARKHOUSES and I use 2 permanent ones so spending 20 minutes cutting out of a hole year just does not justify me spending $100 on a saw but if I used a portable DARKHOUSE than I might be tempted to get one  ;) .

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:48 AM »
I use 2 permanent ones so spending 20 minutes cutting out of a hole year just does not justify me spending $100 on a saw but if I used a portable DARKHOUSE than I might be tempted to get one  ;) .

I see what you mean.  For 1 or 2 holes a year $100 is kinda high, but I spear out of  a portable and cut a lot of holes, so to me that saw is worth it's weight in gold, lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.