The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pics of your darkhouse.  (Read 3483 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pics of your darkhouse.
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Here is the one I built. This is a pretty typical design here in Minnesota. Many people leave them on the ice all winter. 4'x6' so It fits into shortbed pickup, folds flat so you can stack a bunch of them in a truck. Plywood front/rear and floor. Canvas sides and top. I put an outdoor rubber backed rug on the floor for sound proofing, and added 2 catch covers for my angling holes. Easily heated by a buddy heater, or you can make your own like I did. I have 3 closet poles that hold the walls up. One of them is centered over my spearing hole and I have 2 Zebco reels to hang my decoys from hose clamped to the pole, I also have a mechanical spinner on the pole. Let's see some other darkhouses.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Pics of your darkhouse.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Here is the one I built. This is a pretty typical design here in Minnesota. Many people leave them on the ice all winter. 4'x6' so It fits into shortbed pickup, folds flat so you can stack a bunch of them in a truck. Plywood front/rear and floor. Canvas sides and top. I put an outdoor rubber backed rug on the floor for sound proofing, and added 2 catch covers for my angling holes. Easily heated by a buddy heater, or you can make your own like I did. I have 3 closet poles that hold the walls up. One of them is centered over my spearing hole and I have 2 Zebco reels to hang my decoys from hose clamped to the pole, I also have a mechanical spinner on the pole. Let's see some other darkhouses.

I love that brown chair that you have in the 3rd pic down, I had one a few years ago in my shanty and it worked perfect but then my dad brought it up for hunting and well that was the end of that. Atleast it's being used to kill something  :laugh:

My computer is a POS and I can't put any pic's on it right now  :%$#!: . But as soon as I can put picks on I will show ya "Pike dreams".

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Thanks  for the compliment. The sides each have three hinges attaching them to the floor. I don't really have any plans for it. It is loosley based on these plans.

http://www.mndarkhouse.org/Tutorials.htm

The nice thing about these home built ones is that you can leave them set up on the ice for long periods of time if you dam them up. A lot of people will leave them out for most of the season around here. Also you can customize the a little better than a store bought unit.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to locate some black canvas it looks like. Any suggestions?

I got mine from the Amish canvas shop around here. Look for a tent and awning shop, or someone who makes boat covers, or does upholstery work. The heavier grade canvas, the better. A friend of mine used an old military tent which works very well. If you want to order some online; these guys are pretty good.

http://www.canvascraftinc.com/

Good Luck!

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:18 AM »
I have seen them use a polytarp for the canvas.Blue lets in a lot of light but I have seen brown polytarps that let no light pass through them.
After they get beat and start shredding just pull off the polytarp and install a new one.
There is a place here in M.C. that makes pitliners and they have a lot of the liner material blow over the fence into a creek.I`ll see what I can do about getting in there and checking the available inventory. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :roflmao:

Wouldn't that make a lot of noise in the wind? Canvas lasts 10-15 years. I paid $65.00 for mine with the reflectors sewn on.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:02 AM »
cool shack spearchucker thanks for the link to the plans  8) 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.