Author Topic: Nero Mini Auger  (Read 8257 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Nero Mini Auger
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Looks like it was a hit. Basspro,Fishusa and Sportmans guide are all sold out. Love my 7". Kinda wished to get just the 6" auger bit but HT doesn't sell just the bit so far.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Nero Mini Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I guess Sportsmans Guide does still have some.
<===Lefty===

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Didn't know we were importing from Russia now?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:45 AM »
  When I ordered my 7" Nero kit from Reed's Outdoors last Thursday, it was 'In Stock' and ready to ship. It sold out and they had to have it drop shipped directly from HT. It didn't ship until yesterday. I also ordered a spare set of blades from HT's website. I should have both next week.  I notice more videos of the Mini Nero showing up on Youtube. I hope the ice holds up, as our weather here has been warm and windy of late.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Went out with it again today and can only say I love this thing. I tried opening an old hole and got off center but it make it through but hung up a little at the bottom. Checked the blades again and they are still looking like new. 6 Trips out now with this thing.
<===Lefty===

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:12 PM »

Snowdog, Irbis....russian machines....

Honestly no different than importing from China....as a country can you really trust either? But if the products are useful and innovative and not achieved by slave labor or market manipulation, I guess I can live with it.....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I will pick Russian Auger Blades over China's. The auger is a well made auger that cuts fast.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:35 PM »
You said it catches on the bottom of the hole how bad?  Thinking of a back up Reeds outdoors in MN has them on sale for $70 Is it better than a kdrill?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:40 PM »

Hope there wasn't any collusion involved  :whistle:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:47 AM »
You said it catches on the bottom of the hole how bad?  Thinking of a back up Reeds outdoors in MN has them on sale for $70 Is it better than a kdrill?
It only caught on one hole, The hole I reopened which was an 8" hole and I got off center while drilling through.  Other than that this thing rips like crazy.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Thanks Lefty

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:22 AM »
do they cut in reverse, or am i thinking differently?

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I think the cut better mostly because of the double offset handle---Mora etc just has 1 hand offset. 2 hands, double the torque.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Has anyone attached one to a drill setup yet? Though it might offset the weight saving, it’ll still be an overall lighter package.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:37 PM »
do they cut in reverse, or am i thinking differently?
No they cut Clockwise.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Has anyone attached one to a drill setup yet? Though it might offset the weight saving, it’ll still be an overall lighter package.
I'm using mine on a Ridgid Drill and cut through 7" of ice today in 3 seconds.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I just realized today that this auger cuts so fast if you let it, that it leaves a lip on one side at the bottom of the hole. Got to hold it back towards the bottom of the hole or it does it all the time. When it cuts it pulls out chucks of ice not savings. Truly the best cutting Auger I have ever used or seen.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:50 PM »
you convinced me lefty.lol I will have a nero mini auger next year.i don't need another auger but I like a couple things on that nero.compacts down,offset handles and cheap blade replacements..for now I guess.plus that Russian sitting down effortlessly cutting that hole looks so smooth.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Snowdog, Irbis....russian machines....

Honestly no different than importing from China....as a country can you really trust either?

Well, to start with..

Although a different government, one of them are very much like us, and many are related to us going, way, way, back...

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:14 PM »
you convinced me lefty.lol I will have a nero mini auger next year.i don't need another auger but I like a couple things on that nero.compacts down,offset handles and cheap blade replacements..for now I guess.plus that Russian sitting down effortlessly cutting that hole looks so smooth.
Yeah I think that Russian is using an 6" auger. But HT selll's 5,6 and 7". And the blades are cheap at $10.99 for 5"  $14.99 for 6" and up to $17.99 for the 7"

I already have 2 extra sets of the 7" but I haven't seen these getting dull at all. I touched them up one day but barely did anything because they were just so sharp still. Been out using this auger 7 times now. First 2 times by hand, which was easy and the other 5 times with a drill. Supper easy. Next time I go I will pile up some of the chips it is taking out instead of shavings and take a picture.
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:51 PM »
 FedEx delivered my HT Nero today!  ;D  It is clearly the fastest and easiest hand auger I have ever owned.  I was used to the offset handle, as I owned a Nils. Zero downward pressure and it really eats the ice. Like Lefty2053 said, it takes huge chips of ice instead of the smaller shavings. I was surprised how little effort it took to drill a 9 inch hole. I then put it on my Clam plate and the hole was done in half the time that it took with my Eskimo. I might not even use the Clam Plate with ice below 10" thick, as it is so easy. Well worth the $79 I paid for it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Someone said they called HT and asked them if they were going to keep the blades in stock and they said it depends on how many augers they sold. I think this is the New great auger out there. I watched Nils on drills and I would match them with this thing easily.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:34 PM »
FedEx delivered my HT Nero today!  ;D  It is clearly the fastest and easiest hand auger I have ever owned.  I was used to the offset handle, as I owned a Nils. Zero downward pressure and it really eats the ice. Like Lefty2053 said, it takes huge chips of ice instead of the smaller shavings. I was surprised how little effort it took to drill a 9 inch hole. I then put it on my Clam plate and the hole was done in half the time that it took with my Eskimo. I might not even use the Clam Plate with ice below 10" thick, as it is so easy. Well worth the $79 I paid for it.
What size did you buy? And where did you get it for $79?
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:36 PM »
 I got the 7 inch auger kit (with extension and drill adapter) from Reeds Sporting Goods on Jan 4th. It was on sale. They sold out the following day. They still have the 6 inch kit for $69. I picked up a spare set of blades directly form HT for $17.99 plus $2.61 shipping.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:48 PM »
OK, just ordered my 6 inch and blades from REEDS. I have a k drill but the extension is 50 bucks I figure with this it's longer and I have the option of hand drill in case the drill would die. Lefty thanks for your help you talked me in to it. Hope I like it how heavy is it?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:21 AM »
OK, just ordered my 6 inch and blades from REEDS. I have a k drill but the extension is 50 bucks I figure with this it's longer and I have the option of hand drill in case the drill would die. Lefty thanks for your help you talked me in to it. Hope I like it how heavy is it?

The 7" with the extension on it is about 6 Pounds. With my drill I figure I have 12 pounds at best. I have seen a couple of Kdrills on the ice and I can tell you, that 6" you bought is going to go through the ice faster than your Kdrill.
<===Lefty===

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Hope there wasn't any collusion involved  :whistle:

;D ;D ;D

Does it say Trump anywhere?  ;D ;D ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:46 PM »
I have this auger and it is fast! 7 inch auger by hand only. Goes through over a 1 1/2 ft of ice by hand in less than a minute and feels effortless! I just got done dragging my heavy suitcase sled across half the lake and grabbed the auger and drilled a hole and it was a relief compared to pulling that sled! I agree with the ice shavings its more like broken glass pieces than something you'd get in a slushy!

Saw someone sprained their wrist on here using this setup with a drill. Caught the bottom of the hole and twisted the drill and he got injured or something like that. Always a possibility with this much torque on these drills. I'd suggest keeping the secondary handle far away from the drill so if it does catch it doesn't spin around and crash into your other wrist.

Comparing it to the k-drill, the K-drill is designed for use with a drill which means the cutting head is at a less steep of an angle. Uses RPM to cut fast rather than the steeper cutting edge on the Nero. It is why the cutting edge on the Nero cuts so fast but it's also why it gets hung up on the edge. Slow down at the bottom and use caution and you will have a great auger.

Oh and not to mention it folds up so tiny! Love that part.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:23 PM »
  Here is my Nero with the Clam Plate. It makes a clean cut at the bottom of the hole. I just back off a bit before it breaks through and no grabbing takes place. 

Sorry for the blurry video, I didn't realize that the lens had a smudge on it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Looked pretty smooth. Is it the 7"?

<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.