Author Topic: Ice fishing horror story!  (Read 4076 times)

Offline littlest_outlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing horror story!
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:25 AM »
In 2000, I took my 2 sons, age 11 and 14, ice fishing on Fort Peck Reservoir, in Montana.    We arrived at the edge of the ice about 8:00 PM.  There were vehicle tracks all over the ice, and we talked to some of the campers about the ice conditions.  They said it was 18" to 36" thick.  We walked out and drilled a hole, just to verify, and it was truly close to 3 feet thick.  We drove my 1997 Dodge Cummings 3/4 ton Turbo Diesel truck onto the ice and started fishing.  It was 10 below, and a little windy.  We fished for an hour, then moved 1/2 to 1 mile south on the ice and set up again.  By the time we moved for the fifth time we were about 4 miles from where we came onto the ice.  It was 1:30 AM when we moved one more time, before we were going to nap. But as we proceeded, 100 feet from shore and over 100 feet deep water, all of a sudden, the truck went ker-sploosh, through the ice and stopped with the water line even with the top of the hood of the truck.  I told the boys to slowly open the doors as far as they could, and use the doors to climb out on the ice.  When the doors opened, a tidal wave swooped in and soaked us all, filling the truck with water.  The three of us, did manage to get out safely on to the ice, but we were soaking wet, and in serious trouble.  The wind froze our wet coveralls immediately.   I mistakenly had found an artesian, warm spot, feeding the lake that melted a layer in between two thin layers of ice.  The truck having gone through the top layer of ice, then 3 feet of water, then about 3 inches of the bottom layer of ice, where the tires went through, but the bumpers luckily hung on it, or we would have gone to the bottom.  Our coveralls were like thick hard cardboard, but I told the boys we need to get moving.  We followed our tracks for hours, as the temperatures dropped to -30 deg.  At about 3:30 AM we spotted a camper trailer, with a small light on.  We banged on the door, waking them up, and they took us in to get us warm.  They said they would take a look at the mess we were in the next morning.  His Jeep wench was unable to move the truck the next morning, so I called a tow truck.  It came from over 110 miles away, to help try and get it out.  The driver was extremely reluctant to cross the ice, even where it was safe, but it was the only shore line, close enough to reach the truck with a wench line.  I finally persuaded him to cross.  He had to run his line out to it's max to reach the truck.  He hooked onto it and we broke all the ice out around the truck.  He tried for 5 hours yanking on it, before he broke his cable.  It had only moved 2 feet.  He had to go back to town and get a heavier tow truck, but a storm blew in, causing a week and 1/2 of delay.  He returned with a semi tow truck, and moved it about 40 feet before he broke that cable.  So, he returned with 2 semi tow trucks, and finally yanked it to shore.  The truck was totaled, and the towing bill was stupendous.  We were just lucky to have survived the ordeal.  And yes I still ice fish, but driving on the ice, is a risk, I do not take anymore. :o 

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing horror story!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:38 AM »
I'll never trust any ice with my truck for that very reason.  All it takes is one weak spot.  Too much risk for me to take with the cost of trucks these days.  If I wanted to drive on the ice I'd get a wheeler or an old clunker that wouldn't break the bank if it went in.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:45 AM »
You were very fortunate to survive that ordeal. I won't ask how much it cost you because it really doesn't matter. Your life is priceless.
:icefish:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:14 PM »
What a story. Glad everyone was OK.

WS

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:16 PM »
What a great object lesson.  Hug your kids and appreciate that you still have them, and they have you.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:27 PM »
That was a hard luck story that ended well. I drive my cummins all over 1 foot of ice.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:32 PM »

You were lucky that time, you can't tell what's going on under the ice a good lesion learned the hard way.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Thank god you guys made it and for the camper you found!

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:53 PM »
   I was fishing in a family gathering several years back. I had 16" of good black ice every hole I drilled through out the day. When dusk was nearing one of the guys drove his 3/4 ton GMC onto the ice to gather tables and grills. About 100yds out I watched both his rear wheels brake thru the ice. Luckily he was in 4 wheel drive and the front wheels pulled him out. He never stopped and headed straight back to the ramp. We went overtowards were he had broken thru and found 2 or 3 inches of ice. Why the drop in ice, who knows. My truck stays on dry land nowadays.
John

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Wow . Some story    Glad your all ok.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:28 PM »
If you had collision on your truck insurance it should cover your expense of having the truck pulled from the lake.

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:57 PM »
If my two feet won't get me there I don't need to fish that bad.

Offline pikestalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Glad every one is ok.  You and your sons will be telling that story for years.  I don't drive out on the ice at all.  Even last year when in Tawas they had semis on the lake, I would not take my small truck out.  The good lord gave me legs, and I use them.  Again glad every thing turned out for the good.
Tom

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Glads to hear it ended ok,  Scary when you have other peoples lives in your hand.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Wow, that is a scary story! As a rule I don't drive my truck on the ice ever. I don't care if it's frozen solid to the bottom. I do however pull a fully loaded jet sled behind a two-up snowmobile all the time, so maybe I am just fooling myself. Good thing you have tough boys!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Mack11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Happy to hear that you lived to tell the story! Hopefully, your story may help to save someone else's life.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Glad you and your family are safe, sounds like a terrifying but very avoidable situation.  I'm in the northeast and ice conditions varies greatly so if I can't get there by snowmobile, ATV or walking I just won't go.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:54 PM »
My first year back ice fishing a friend and I went to a lake we had not fished before. We rode our sleds out to what we determined to be a good spot and drilled. 16" at the first hole, and second, and third and so on. My buddy said I am going to go over here. Fired up the auger and it didnt drill for 4 seconds before it broke through. Couldnt of been 3 or 4 inches of ice. It scared us to say the least

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Glad it turned out OK... scary that kids were involved!  Its amazing how long a truck floats, isn't it?

I put my almost-still-brand-new Chevy 3/4 ton pick-up through the ice on Paradox Lake in NY several years ago.  I had two buddies with me.  We had the windows down (for "safety") and the truck pretty much broke straight in, so we were able to climb out the open windows onto the ice without getting wet.

No more driving on the ice after that.  And my auto insurer (GEICO) covered the repairs under the comprehensive part of my policy.  I had figured it wouldn't be covered in any way, but a friend who had once put a car through the ice told me to check my policy to see if it had an exclusion for driving on the frozen surface of a lake, pond, river, etc.  It didn't, so I called.  They cheerfully took care of things!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:03 PM »
glad to hear u made it out ok, it is amazing how much the ice can vary dropped the front of me 3/4 t through a few yrs ago and am not a fan of driving the truck out 90% of the time its the utv for me

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Glad you and your boys made it out ok.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:18 PM »
wow,  that's scary.  I'm glad you guys made it out o.k.

Offline upstateoutdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:58 PM »
definitely something everyone needs to keep in mind when heading out on the ice

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Fort peck is a place like no other! Has methaine pockets that occur all the time plus the currents that run through there. Changes day by day. Claims lives, trucks, atvs, side by sides every year. It demands people's respect. you could drive the same route for 2-3 days the next day there's some soft ice or open water in your tracks. crazy place. glad u guys made it out safe and sound. Sometimes U've got 2 learn lessons the hard way to truly respect the consequences.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:19 PM »
that is a horror story,my vehicle stays on shore.

Offline harebare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:15 PM »
wow. scary.

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:47 PM »
Fort peck is a place like no other! Has methaine pockets that occur all the time plus the currents that run through there. Changes day by day. Claims lives, trucks, atvs, side by sides every year. It demands people's respect. you could drive the same route for 2-3 days the next day there's some soft ice or open water in your tracks. crazy place.

Exactly! Traveling across Fort Peck at night is very dangerous! Way too many people fall through every year!
Good to hear a happy ending to this one.
Be safe everyone! And Fort Peck is a dream lake for anyone who has never been!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.