Author Topic: Buffalo pound lake 2018-19  (Read 12023 times)

Offline Mjw22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buffalo pound lake 2018-19
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:23 AM »
Fished buffalo about 15 times last year off  Loneys in different locations . All I saw on the camera as far as perch were lots of small ones. Same result with what was caught lots of small ones for every keeper which were few. I've heard the perch pop has diminished the food sources resulting in stunted growth .

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:40 AM »
We were out yesterday across from Loneys. Must first time fishing on Buffalo in a few years. We noticed the exact thing. I thought maybe it was because of the fishing pressure. A lot more shacks and trailers than I remember in the past.Nice day though.

Offline bigmcd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Was out today really cold but caught my limit of perch. Saw some very nice Jack's and a couple of pickeral on the camera that didn't bite. Ice was between 17 and 20in.

Offline Mjw22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:36 PM »
I don't think it's over fishing.  Used to fish here in the late 80's and there were lots of big perch. They lowered the limit and now with them being prolific breeders there are too many perch for the size of the lake. You can catch a lot 50 + but few are worth keeping.  Nice for kids and catch and release lol

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Hey all you hard water angling friends how's the bite been on the pound lately? Or has it been slow like everywhere else?
Thought I'd type something down here to get this Post back up on the main page, it's been a while since I've been out myself and a while since anyone has posted anything about
Buffalo Pound. Good luck enduring this frickin cold stuff but I guess that's why they call it ICE fishing.
Tight lines everyone!!!

Offline Wissel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:18 PM »
Hi all! 

I will be collecting water samples from a sampling point by the provincial park boat launch sometime this weekend or next week (see circled point in the attached picture).  According to infecticide's awesome map (thanks!) it looks like it is safe to drive on the ice from the boat launch to this point.  But thought I'd post here to double check.

Thanks!

Offline Ragman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the poor fishing at Buffalo Pound this year. I'm no expert angler, but up until this winter, I've always had good outings on the Pound. My best day this year was worse than my poorest day last year. This past weekend the family and I spent both days fishing there. One perch on Saturday and one on Sunday. Not even seeing them on the camera. I know there is heavy fishing pressure on that lake, but wondered if there are other factors at play? Quite depressing.

Offline daustman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:00 AM »
Was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the poor fishing at Buffalo Pound this year. I'm no expert angler, but up until this winter, I've always had good outings on the Pound. My best day this year was worse than my poorest day last year. This past weekend the family and I spent both days fishing there. One perch on Saturday and one on Sunday. Not even seeing them on the camera. I know there is heavy fishing pressure on that lake, but wondered if there are other factors at play? Quite depressing.

It's a really good question and I've had the same experience as you.

There are probably a million theories but it's also a fairly large lake (for the south anyways).  In my observations there are really only two parts of the lake that are fished quite heavily (Loney's/Sandpoint and Parkview/Valleyview).  In my opinion a lack of people trying new locations likely plays a part more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.