Author Topic: Last Mountain Lake 2016-2017  (Read 61070 times)

Offline 306fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Last Mountain Lake 2016-2017
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I've never fished last mountain but I was thinking of heading out soon. Any one know of a good place to catch a few fish. And if any one good knows of a good place to drive on as well that would be greatly appreciate.

Offline tightline06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I was out at Regina Beach fishing every day over the holidays. the few days before new years was hot! Caught more walleye there in a day than i typically catch in a year. I normally target perch around that area and if I pull up a walleye or two its a huge bonus. Limited out on the eyes 2 days in a row. After new years the bite pretty much turned right off. Hopefully its not as slow this weekend.

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:18 AM »
does anyone fish the northeast side of the lake near Govan and is there access on to the lake there thanks..

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #63 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Just north of Govan is Last Mountain Regional park.  North end of the lake is a fairly consistent 8 ft in the middle. There is decent pike fishing to be had. Years ago the perch were crazy here but have tapered off because of the tens of thousands of pelicans and cormorants that own it now. You can catch tullibee and the odd burbot with Walleye being a rare catch in winter.
Access is currently good you can drive straight onto the lake or use the boat launch in the campground. Carp can be found in summer I don't know where they go in winter. If you are looking for perch and Walleye go a little further south and access the lake from Arlington. (turn of highway 20  and head West at the Cymric store. ) Access at Arlington is just north of all the cabins and buildings.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:04 PM »
thanks anglerbrian I will check that out next time .I live near Wynyard so just looking for a spot a little closer than usally heading to Collingwood

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Slow day in the mountain but 2 of us did pick up a few nic ones. Hit the lake Collingwood.   Crossed. Drove down the whole west side and then Southside left the lake at r beach.   2wd everywhere.   Tossed back 6 ish smalls.   
This one went back.   Biggest of the day.   

Offline Evan_35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Love seeing the big ones go back. Well done!

Offline anakar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Thinking of going out to Collingwood this weekend. I would like to access the lake at Zarina,  just wondering if anyone has been across the lake here? Are there any heaves to watch for? I have also heard the ice is rough around Collingwood, is this true?

Offline anakar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Stupid spellchecker,  that is Sarnia

Offline Tim270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:48 AM »
From Collingwood down past Rowens its very rough for the first 100 yards then the ice smooths out. There is good access to Collingwood from the boat launch just stay on the beaten path. I haven't tried coming on from the Sarnia side so I can't comment on the conditions there. Ice at Collingwood was a good 20 inches everywhere we drilled. Hope this helps.
A bad day of Fishing beats a good day at Work

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Been fishing nothing but Sarnia this year and all of last year...north to white rock and beyond and as far south as Island. All good ice, smooth compared to the east side,  as you guys were saying how rough it is. Fishing has been hit and miss though.

Offline KBone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Does anyone fish at Swansons Point?
Looking to get that way but I dont know where to go to access it.
anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Tried Midway today access was ok weaving around the ice moguls not so great. We set up in 34 feet closer to the West side than the East. Slooow day but I managed a limit of Eyes two were quite small. Three perch. 1 Tullibee and a 7 pound Burbot..
 My fishin buddy had only one fish  but it was a huge perch.
  Getting off the lake was tricky, the wind and snow had covered the trail through the heaves so I used my GPS (I have it set to leave a blue track wherever I drive) and was able to follow that line pretty close.
   I probably wont go back there for awhile there are much better spots to get on where you don't have to worry about popping a bead.

Offline Dashboardlight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:38 AM »
How's getting on at Collingwood peeps with all the snow that's been drifting around? Planning on being one of the first on the lake in the morning.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Good luck Dashboardlight we are heading there Sunday let us know what the conditions are.

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Does anybody know how the access is in the marina at rowan's ravine? Any heaves or large drifts? Hoping to get out with this nice weather.

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Collingwood access is all good, no problems after the winds and snow this past week. Ventured north 1/2-3/4 north and had a fairly productive day. 12 perch and 3 walleye, marked fish at every hole we had drilled but slow bite, they just weren't hungry!! Bye the way there was 4 of us so not the greatest day but still fun!!!

Offline Dashboardlight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:58 AM »
I have to agree anglerbrian. Easy access on this glorious lake. We caught about the same amount. Unfortunately there were five of us. So it was a little slow. A bit of packed drifting out on the lake, but nothing needing to put GriMiCe, (my GMC), into 4 wheel drive. Have a great day and remember to put the big girls back where you found them!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Good day for us at Collingwood. Met up with some friends from Regina. Three had never been fishing before. Everybody caught something.  I Had three Walleye 3 perch 3 tullibee and a nice sized pike myself. I like the ice at Collingwood much better than Midway.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Heading to the Regina Beach area tomorrow.  Anybody fish around Soloman's place?

Offline tightline06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:22 AM »
Heading to the Regina Beach area tomorrow.  Anybody fish around Soloman's place?

There are a ton of shacks out at solomans. there is a trail that goes from the pier at regina beach all the way over there. trucks are driving everywhere, 26" of ice this weekend where we were fishing not far from solomans. couple small heaves to watch out for, but stick to the trail and you should be fine.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, hope people are catching while fishing.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Never made it to Soloman's, talked to an old friend, said for some pike action the entry to the yacht club has been good.  Scooted over there, punched a hole, 10 ft, dropped the camera, big old jack cruised by.  Not a tough decision, a little rubble and old weed growth on the bottom. Only caught one but managed to record some good video of the fish coming and going about their business, eyeing up the lures for minutes at a time.  All the while my BIL and me were on the edge of our seats with anticipation on the fish's next move. An afternoon well spent for sure. A little concern with my Buddy heater.   The darn thing would not light up in the Evo.  Tried numerous times, nice strong blue pilot flame, let go of the button and dead. Finally tried it outside, pilot good, stayed on, heater lit right up, like a charm. Took it inside, worked great, high and low.  I'm thinking oxygen sensor, but no problems after it started. Had the doors partly unzipped so good ventilation.

Offline lip stretcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Hey everyone!!!
Can anyone of you Collingwood fishermen tell me how deep how deep you are going to get the Perch and Walleye.
Haven't been out this year but going Saturday.
Any input will be much appreciated.

L S

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:30 AM »
If you go out as far as the line of shacks and punch a couple holes you should find that 30-35ft level.
We were in 32 last weekend but it's all pretty consistent for depth that whole area.
I had 5 walleye and 12 perch over 2 days. Good luck and stay safe.

Offline lip stretcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Hi Foozie,
Thanks for the info.
 Great fishing and stay safe.
L S

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Anybody have luck today?    Tried 4 spots 50+ holes slower then a 1 legged turtle race.   2 small hammer handles and I single toulee

Offline familyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Very slow for me as well today.  Only managed to ice 2 perch.  Had quite a few walleye on camera but just wouldn't bite.  Not sure if any of the walleye experts have any tips to get the stubborn walleye to bite?  They would make 3 or 4 passes and come right up to the bait (spoon with minnow head) but would not follow through. 

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Try ripping a rattlebait

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Tried everything short of a diamond ring to try to get them to commit.   They would come shooting in check It out for a bit could get them to follow up and down a bit and then eventually just saunter off.   Even jigging right beside subtlety with small jig and minnow head still couldn't convince them to open up.   But hey I hate the dentist too. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.