Author Topic: Last mountain lake 2015-2016  (Read 98046 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Last mountain lake 2015-2016
« Reply #60 on: Dec 08, 2015, 01:44 PM »
I agree with one post don't take anyones word regarding ice thickness,however I do put a lot of stock in what the locals around there do and running them down by saying they have no common sense is uncalled for.

That's fair and it was unjust of me to generalize! I didn't mean to offend anyone as there are lots of nice people in the area and I've spent my fair share of time at the bar there, haha. I was mainly just perplexed with the people I seen driving trucks on 4" of ice.  :tipup:

We need some cold weather, BAD!!
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Slow morning at the Regional (north end) 2 tullibee one whitefish and one hit on the jawjacker. Took the head off a smelt without getting the front  treble.  Will be trying someplace else next outing.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Curious as to where a guy could catch some burbot on early ice. What kind of deoths/structure do you get them on? Only ever caught them up north fishing for lakers or else in March on the sand bars

Offline Mr_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Is collingwood walkable? Anyone have info on the thickness there?

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I was south of Collingwood at bible camp few days ago. Ice was 3" to 4" pretty noisy at times with what looked like the start of a heave forming. Obviously further you get out thinner the ice. I drilled test holes the entire way out and would recommend the same as with the weather above 0 I'm sure theres spots out there you may want to avoid and ice conditions change.

Offline Mr_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:16 PM »
Thanks for the info. South of Rowan's was wide open a week and a half ago. Need a cold snap.

Offline grobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:33 PM »
went to my cabin today at Grandview - no ice in front, wide open water

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Figured Grandviews ice would be non existent, going to go out on a limb and say stony barn is also no good currently. Any info on further north say wee too or Sarnia? Going out tomorrow would be nice to hit the west side.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I walked on at Lewis creek today went out about 4-500 yds and was only 8 inches of ice under the same amount of snow. Ice is good clear black ice once you get out a bit.  This is also a shallow area 7-12 feet where I was. There are a couple of shacks out  must have been pulled by sleds before the snow. There is also a heave forming south of the creek running East and west.

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I'm not even interested about who's driving on and where hah I will be hiking on regardless of the location. New truck and don't think she wants to be baptized.

Offline ref64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Regina Beach has open water near the point.  The west side of the pier is also open by the pier.  Fished Saskatchewan Beach as I didn't have time to go north. 8 inches of good ice.  Only went to the ice heave in 7 feet of water. Not anywhere where I want to fish but I got to wash some hooks. Marked a few and landed a 3 lb pike.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Mornin y'all. Walked out at collingwood yesterday. 7" of ice from shore to the heave hat runs lengthwise to the lake. There are a lot of real bad spots. I chipped and drilled holes every 40 ft. Found many areas that looked like good ice hat only had 1-1/2 inches. Then under that was 2" of water and only 1" of black ice under it. 14' is as deep as I could get too. If you go check everywhere. It is not safe there at all. And do not try to cross that heave anywhere. I walked it looking for a spot and it is not happening. Be safe. The ice isn't.

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 12, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Anyone know the depth you can achieve at Rowan's?
Jig on!

Offline Mr_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2015, 05:39 PM »
We went to collingwood today not knowing what to expect. We started drilling holes straight out from the boat launch, diagonally to the left.  We drilled several holes on our way out. 8 inches was the norm everywhere we drilled. There is a heave, but as of today was no where near what it was in previous years.  All holes we drilled on the far side of the heave were 8 inches of good quality ice. Heave took no effort to cross, and felt very safe. We set up shop a distance past the heave in 23 fow. Great ice, and even better fishing. Banged out limits of walleye, several in the 3 pound range. Also hammered a dozen jumbos along with a few dinks. Fished for about 3 hours. Very unfortunate that besides us, there was only one other group out there. I'd advise readers of this site to go check the conditions of the ice first hand, and not rely on posts that you read. Go get em toys. FYI.... Many other locations on lml are completely open for miles. So be heads up.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Walked and drilled basically exactly the direction you went the day before. Yes e ice was consistent upto the heave. I walked along that heave for 150-200 yds. Chipping at the outter 10'. You must have had a horse shoe up your ying yang. The top crust was only 1.5" then 2" of water sitting ontop of no more than 2" of black ice that closed up under it. One swing with the pry bar and I broke thru everywhere. So yes people.  Check it yourself. And good luck! Nice work to those that made it!

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 13, 2015, 11:49 PM »
at least a dozen of us fishing Collingwood today everyone I saw was walking.  Ice was 7.5" to 8" everywhere I checked. I started off with a decent perch in 31 ft  then nothing but tullibee until 4 then a couple of walleye at 24 ft.  Slow day but was nice to catch a few. 

Offline WalleyeIceMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:59 PM »
An old owl once told me that people who get fired up on Internet forums are usually crazy. Then he told me that anyone who doesn't check ice thickness for themselves is crazier still. Let's remember the true reason that we all love this time of year...the fun of chasing big eyes and jumbos under the ice. No need to get cranky with one another. Besides, WIM is the only one on this forum who NEVER gets outfished anyways.

On a side note, old WIM is thinking that it's about time to get on the lake and start catching. Don't worry I'll leave some for you guys out there. I'll let all you boys know how I make out. Be safe and tight lines everyone.  This is WIM signing out.

Offline P1ckl3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:16 AM »
well put but the eyes are mine leavem alone
Be a god and walk on water

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:54 AM »
OKAY! I will put them back..  They do have to pass through my tummy first. 

Offline gremio106

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:27 PM »
hows the ice at sarnia beach?

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Was at Sarnia on the weekend. A lot of walking and holes punched 4" to 5" with a crust on top from the rain. Managed 5 walleye bite was light they were taking it right off bottom.

Offline harvey69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Has anyone been out around Midway road north of Collingwood? How are the ice conditions and access.

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Heard a report today that there's open water shore to shore down by grandview/stone barn. Hard to believe still open water.
Wee-too had about 4" of ice at 7' of water, so do the math. acouple of inches Maybe out at 25-30ft of water.
North of sarnia last week-end by white rock was 3"..maybe 4 they said.
Be safe out there guys.

Offline Dwightster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Yes "hard to believe" is right!!! I live in Calgary and am planning on a visit to LML this holiday and was tickled pink to see the double digit below zero weather....weird. On a side note: this will be my FIRST trip ice fishing in Saskabush and am going to stay at Liberty...been doing a ton of research but any helpful notes about the area would be appreciated. Really looking forward to the trip...the fishing in Alta has really gone downhill. I lived in Kamloops for 20+ years and the trout fishing was 'World Class'...grew up here in Cowtown though and since coming back I see that "ice fishing" here has got to the point that you can only keep the ones that have an "official Government stamp" on them are *** size and have a red tail with a yellow ribbon on it....you then fish all day get a few pike and stare at them in amazement and think..."what are these poor creatures eating???" ...because there does not seem to be much else in the lake...anyways enough of my "wah wah" stuff....REALLY looking forward to my trip...I spent a year there as a kid going to Notre Dame Collage in Wilcox....only been back once for a couple days of work...hoping to catch my first walleye / burbot and 2nd Perch...just to get started...Safety to all.

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Yes "hard to believe" is right!!! I live in Calgary and am planning on a visit to LML this holiday and was tickled pink to see the double digit below zero weather....weird. On a side note: this will be my FIRST trip ice fishing in Saskabush and am going to stay at Liberty...been doing a ton of research but any helpful notes about the area would be appreciated. Really looking forward to the trip...the fishing in Alta has really gone downhill. I lived in Kamloops for 20+ years and the trout fishing was 'World Class'...grew up here in Cowtown though and since coming back I see that "ice fishing" here has got to the point that you can only keep the ones that have an "official Government stamp" on them are *** size and have a red tail with a yellow ribbon on it....you then fish all day get a few pike and stare at them in amazement and think..."what are these poor creatures eating???" ...because there does not seem to be much else in the lake...anyways enough of my "wah wah" stuff....REALLY looking forward to my trip...I spent a year there as a kid going to Notre Dame Collage in Wilcox....only been back once for a couple days of work...hoping to catch my first walleye / burbot and 2nd Perch...just to get started...Safety to all.

If youre just into catching and killing fish then yes southern Alberta sucks.  If youre into 10 plus pound walleye and 20 plus pound pike, then there is a few places in southern AB that are mind blowing.  There is one place I fish often that puts up double digit eyes and 20 plus pound pike.  Our group last year had 10 eyes over 10 pounds, this year we are shooting for 15 pounds which is doable, just have to find her.  We also had numerous pike over 20 pounds including a 48 incher that would be over 30.

Offline Dwightster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:02 AM »
You are right...I obviously have NOT found that water...yet. Don't get me wrong...I have been a fly fisherman for over 45 years and have fished a lot of C&R waters...including steelhead out west and bonefish etc. down south... I fish and hunt [ including with a bow] for the experience. But at times it IS nice to have that experience include eating a fresh caught fish...yet to do that with a walleye/burbot/perch...And I have caught some nice Pike here on Travers and Badger but am hoping to enjoy the possibilities out your way. Have a good one!!

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Heard a report today that there's open water shore to shore down by grandview/stone barn. Hard to believe still open water.
Wee-too had about 4" of ice at 7' of water, so do the math. acouple of inches Maybe out at 25-30ft of water.
North of sarnia last week-end by white rock was 3"..maybe 4 they said.
Be safe out there guys.

Was in the glen harbour area yesterday and it was wide open as far as you could see north and across.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #87 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Wow, still open.

Guess I wasn't lying, haha.

Eat a ****  creamcatcher.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #88 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Hi Dwightster1,
If your going to be around the Liberty area Big Arm Bay on LML would be a short ride for you.
It seems most anglers I have chatted with ice fish around the mouth of the lake near Triple T Beach or Henderson's Beach.

The next area folks fish at is a bit further N at Etters Beach.

A bit N of Etters Beach is Lewis Creek. This a spawning area for pike, walleye, carp and other fish species.  Most folks fish a bit off of the creek mouth.
I have heard it can be a good area for perch.

Etters Beach is really the only spot I have tried on W side in the winter, where I found some pike, but all these areas should hold pike, burbot, ciscos/ tullibee as well as some perch, whitefish and walleye. :tipup:

There are quite a few beaches S of Liberty along the lake also, but have never been that far S on the W side.
Where ever you go make sure you do lots of ice checks, the ice is really inconsistent this year every where, but especially at LML. :P

On a different note, does anyone have a ice report & ice fishing report for the Rowan's Ravine area? :-\

WW

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #89 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Wow, still open.

Guess I wasn't lying, haha.

Eat a ****  creamcatcher.
LOL   :roflmao: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor