Author Topic: Qu'Apelle Lakes  (Read 57887 times)

Offline caribou1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Qu'Apelle Lakes
« Reply #90 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Fished echo today. Caught three 1 pound eyes, about 20 perch, then all hell broke loose!!!!!! Caught a 26 pound pike(47") which ended up caught up in 3 lines in the shack! Took some pictures and released. I fish tobin flats and fish these monsters but have never had this experience! 3 guys left the ice with a memory and a story. Awesome day on the ice, now back too work for 2 weeks! Good luck out there everyone!

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Fished echo today. Caught three 1 pound eyes, about 20 perch, then all hell broke loose!!!!!! Caught a 26 pound pike(47") which ended up caught up in 3 lines in the shack! Took some pictures and released. I fish tobin flats and fish these monsters but have never had this experience! 3 guys left the ice with a memory and a story. Awesome day on the ice, now back too work for 2 weeks! Good luck out there everyone!

nice catch sounds like a good day it sounds like there is more big pike in pasqua and echo then i thought i got a 40 incher thursday on pasqua and one at least that big yesterday to that broke the line at the hole and some of my buddys caught a few in the 45 inch range this summer on echo and pasqua. its good to hear and see all these big ones coming out of the chain lakes

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:44 PM »

you got a picture of that beast to post

Offline caribou1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Lol. If I new how I would!

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:03 PM »
click on pictures at the top of the page above ads and there is instructions there if you want

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin jiggy with it... In a non perverted way!
« Reply #95 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:11 PM »
WOW!!! thats a fantastic day on the ice for sure, especially in the chain lakes! I have fished so many places in northern SK but have NEVER been to Tobin, I really want to get up there this winter and give it a go! Would you be willing to give some guidance on where to go up there? And you gotta post a pic of that monster! I'll be back on Echo and Pasqua on the weekend, took this weekend to "explore" Saturday awesome, today terrible! Where are those big pike biting on Echo?
Fish, sleep, hunt, fish sleep, beer, fish, hunt, hunt, hunt, fish, sleep, beer.... Repeat as often as needed!

Offline wagc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Fish Fish, Hunt Hunt hunt!!!!
« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Mission by Lebret. Very Slow. In 12 ft of water, Sunday saw  1 small pike that wasnt interested at all. Monday saw 1 Large pike, nothing from him either, Tuesday (today) saw 2 lg pike and guess what? .... NOTHING. We spent the night last night and all I can say if thank goodness I brought Moose steak.... So my other question... where are the fishies. I can leave the shack and bring the snow bear out to the other lakes if the fish are biting plus how deep is everyone fishing in? thanks for replying... this is my first post
Women against gun control Canada.

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • born to fish forced to work
« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Out on Pasqua for the afternoon caught Burbot and pike from 1-430 the Burbot were suspended 8 ft from ice in 17 ft of water and so were the pike we prob caught total of 10 Burbot and 20 pike 430-530 caught a few eyes

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:31 PM »
Thats rare for Burbot to be suspended? Usually on the bottom.  Good to hear they are hitting, good eating! :)

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 09, 2013, 01:23 PM »
yes it was very rare we did catch a couple off the bottom and couldn't believe the amount we caught suspended, we were using my flasher fish showed up 6 ft from the ice and 10 ft from the bottom we looked down our holes in my pop up and watched the pike and burbot as they took the hook. im surprised how clear the water is we could see our hooks just about all the way to the bottom 17ft and could see the fish clearly at 10-12 ft down. we cooked up our catch yesterday for supper and yes it was great....

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Here's a silly question, I have been fishing the chain lakes and LML for almost 30 years and I have never caught a burbot, I have also only seen one that my grandpa caught before he passed in 1985.... What's the trick to hooking one of those ugly buggers?  ??? :icefish:
Fish, sleep, hunt, fish sleep, beer, fish, hunt, hunt, hunt, fish, sleep, beer.... Repeat as often as needed!

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Here's a silly question, I have been fishing the chain lakes and LML for almost 30 years and I have never caught a burbot, I have also only seen one that my grandpa caught before he passed in 1985.... What's the trick to hooking one of those ugly buggers?  ??? :icefish:
usually right on the bottom bounce it off the bottom or on a dead stick or tip up right on the bottom. but for the last few weeks now there hasn't really been a trick to it ive been catching a few every outing on anything any where. thats just the way i usally do it

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #102 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Fish a sandy point in march and go nuts.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Usually at sunset and after dark with a glow jig is really a huge hit with Burbot. But lately even a green jig wherever the flasher has shown a fish there has been a chance it is a Burbot whether on the bottom or even suspended... But go target them on the bottom with a salted minnow and you shouldn't have any problem I've been lucky in 15ft drop offs from 10ft-25ft fishin the middle at 15-20foot part of the drop.....

Offline MJP1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the input fellow fishermen, I will give it a go this weekend and see what happens... I was using salted minnows on a green jog bouncing off the bottom but no such luck! I might have to extend my stay out on the lakes into the night time hours! Good luck out there!

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Anyone been to west end of Echo since this big wind we had? Wondering what the access is like now, blown in any?  Thanx for any info! :) ???

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #106 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:51 AM »
Hi MJP1980,
Check out the burbot board on Ice Shanty for lots of tips and trick to catch those big salamanders.;D  ------> http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=38.0

For myself I like to fish for them any time in the winter but they really get active during the spawn. Like the other have said find a point or ridge in the lake from late Feb. through March and you should find burbot. Drill a series of holes from the point off the edge into deep water and test them all until you find them. Sometimes you don't have to move too far to be on them.
When jigging for them, try stirring up the bottom and making a ruckus down there with a heavy jig, or spoon tipped with some sort of bait and have fun. :tipup:

P.S - You probably already know this but, be careful around points any time in the winter, they can have some very thin ice. :P

WW

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:07 PM »
just a question but does anyone else on here have a shack on the east end of pasqua

Offline Trappers Tea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:37 PM »
hello fellow fishermen i'm new to the site me and and my friend had an awesome morning on mission at the ski hill. It was my first time out this year i usually wait til its very safe ice. It was actually a very nice morning considering whats going on outside now. It was my first time catching perch what fun, we had a very busy morning we kept a few nice ones for supper they tasted amazing!

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #109 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Nice catch, Trappers Tea!  :clap:what was your largest perch in length? Recently read in a magazine, that the best fishin  is the day before a major storm or cold snap moves in! :woot:that may  be true!!! How deep were you?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #110 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:18 AM »
Way to go trappers Tea, good to hear you had a fun day, and now will have a good meal to come.
Those are some nice looking perch and walleye. :)

Welcome to the SK. portion of IceShanty. ;D

WW

Offline Trappers Tea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Nice catch, Trappers Tea!  :clap:what was your largest perch in length? Recently read in a magazine, that the best fishin  is the day before a major storm or cold snap moves in! :woot:that may  be true!!! How deep were you?
Hi there we never measured any but my guess would be 10-12" and we were in roughly 20-25 ft. I'm confused my friend said it was a pickeral?? Thanks for the warm welcome WW!

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Alot of people call a Walleye, pickeral, proper term is Walleye. Nice lokking perch! :)

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #113 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the info TT! A Pickerel is actually part of the Pike family! :whistle:

Offline wagc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Fish Fish, Hunt Hunt hunt!!!!
« Reply #114 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:59 AM »
As far as I know Pickeral are located in the Eastern Provinces and States, not in saskatchewan, Walleyes are part of the Perch family and pickeral are part of the Pike family. It's like people calling Burbot, Dogfish... To me a dog fish is a type of shark.
Women against gun control Canada.

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:34 PM »
anyone been on the ice today, how was it getting on

Offline Bobinski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »
As far as I know Pickeral are located in the Eastern Provinces and States, not in saskatchewan, Walleyes are part of the Perch family and pickeral are part of the Pike family. It's like people calling Burbot, Dogfish... To me a dog fish is a type of shark.
NO, i'm pretty sure a pickeral and a walleye are the same fish... just a different name.. just like a pike and a jack are the same. And i'm pretty darn sure in our lakes a burbot and a dogfish are the exact same fish as well...dont confuse the poor guy...

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Pickerel walleye
Pike jack
Hoodie bunny hug
Burbot dogfish
Pilsner pilsner pilsner pilsner............... ..........
Blake from Elbow

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #118 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Google pickerel and you will see its not a walleye! It looks more like a pike :P

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:22 PM »
walleye is also known as pickerel, colored pike, or yellow pike but it is not a true pickerel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.