Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 33926 times)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:07 AM »
Not at all. Whitefish aren't easy to catch. You have to be set up for them, and they will all of a sudden show up and then the fun begins!! You'll catch some I'm sure. ;D

Offline Collierscc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Every time I have caught white fish they hit with a  light line using two meal worms on a small imitation pink shrimp.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Skunked, not even a nibble, at a location that previously has never let me down. Starting to get busy out there. Fourth trip out this year and only one fish of any size so far.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Ditto. Skunked yesterday. No nibbles. Many holes. Worst day on blackstrap in a very long time.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:00 PM »
x2...    I quit after the 4 trip.  We caught a few in the first few trips but it has slowed down. Bin fishing the strap for 16years and you just have to give it time cause it always turns on again. Try the reservoirs. wayy better i think

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Tried these whitefish tips at the North End at 11 FOW for 2.5 hours late in the afternoon. Close to a hundred 1st-year perches form a feeding ball around the small minnow/worm. These little ones were attracted by jigging as well. A few two inchers were hooked and shaken off. One 26" jack scared the perches away. It was C&Red by a tipped spoon. No whities or eyes were seen.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:58 PM »
another fishless day on the strap, very slow this year.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #67 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Skunked from 8am til 1pm today at north end . So dead. Only even saw 3 fish (tiny perch) on cam total today. Least ive ever seen
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Fished the north end of the lake today, caught a 22" walleye, small jack and about a dozen perch with 4 keepers. Saw lots on the flasher and lots of jacks and whites on the cam. Lost another smaller walleye in the hole too. Hasnt been slow for me this year, I've caught more walleye this winter than the last 3 or 4 winters combined.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Good to here a positive report, and enough bad ones to know it's not just me. Thinking back over the last few years my least productive trips were in early January, so hopefully just a seasonal trend. The perch bite has typically been good from late January through the end of the season. I won't stop trying, but sure is deflating when you can only get out for a few hours every other week and you get a few blanks in a row.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:00 PM »
what kinda depth are you fishing at saskoutdoors?

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:26 PM »
20-25ft near major structure, and away from the big crowds of people

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:59 PM »
20-25ft near major structure, and away from the big crowds of people

Exactly.

Offline Falko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Major structure?....blackstrap....? Please tell us more, what do you consider major structure at blackstrap?

Offline Andrew081

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:41 AM »
I've also been having pretty good luck last couple times out. Had to go about a dozen times and work the lake with a bathymetric map before I found some consistent fish, but I found some nice perch. Best part is I was over a kilometer from anyone else. 25 feet and major structure as in deep basins or bays I found. On Wednesday caught about 30 perch with about 10 of those being keepers and a 27 inch walleye. Try can be finicky thought so you really have to be paying attention for those subtle tugs, and of course a flasher or camera always helps. Was out today and only caught about 6 perch and a walleye but two were good eaters, one was 11 ½ inches.

http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/Andrew081/library/#/user/Andrew081/library/?&_suid=135754056990706587108018489474

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #75 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:12 PM »
was out saturday testing the flasher, lost a 4-5lb walleye in the hole after a long battle. the treble on the small pk spoon without the barb doesn't help, too short... Ended up catching tiny perch and marking mostly perch for the rest of the day.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline Andrew081

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Went out again today for a couple hours and caught about 12 perch, but only 3 were keepers. Been pretty consistent out there lately I find, ice was cracking like crazy though. Took the camera today, there were probably a couple small perch hanging around the hooks most of the time. Some nicer ones came by too every once in a while. I used different powerbaits and gulp baits but they seemed to like maggots the best. One of the bigger guys bit on a minnow. 

Offline walleyeguy1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Hey everyone,
 I was wondering if anyone knew which part of the lake had the deepest water? I seem to remember it being in front of the cabins across from the provincial park but I could be wrong as I lost my depth map quite awhile ago, any info would be appreciated. thanks

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Hey everyone,
 I was wondering if anyone knew which part of the lake had the deepest water? I seem to remember it being in front of the cabins across from the provincial park but I could be wrong as I lost my depth map quite awhile ago, any info would be appreciated. thanks
You can go on the environment of Saskatchewan website and search for bathymetric maps once on the big map read the instructions on how to use the info icon on each lake. Hope this helps

Offline mxbulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM »
The Navionics app for Iphone has all of the bathymetric maps on it as well.  Much easier to use than the government website. 

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Just got the Android version of Navionics (Marine & Lakes: US & Canada). Hope it is easy to use.

Offline walleyeguy1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:49 PM »
maps be damned! Caught 19 perch today. Took my 10 was off the lake by 1:30. Had an awesome meal, gotta love big, fat perch!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #82 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Good to hear. Right now fish will be bottom huggers, fish deep and slow and you'll catch fish.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:35 AM »
im hoping to head out today probly around he boat launch will see what happens.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Any updates on Blackstrap?

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:55 PM »
i didn't make it out the other day kid was sick but a buddy went and said he hammered perch most of the day and left with his limit

Offline Andrew081

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I had been having good luck but it has slowed down quite a bit for me. The fish are there too, just not biting. I went out yesterday and was marking perch but could not get them to bite. A couple nice marks came up off bottom and checked my hook out breifly then took off too, most likely walleye. I switched up hooks, bait, and spots several times but walked away with only one perch.

Offline 2fst4u

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Went out today as well.  Same as andrew flasher was going nuts some bits a couple of perch.  but fish would come and go but not interested in my tackle box of goodies.  But at least they were there just getting them to bit will be alot of fun. ;D

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:21 AM »
We got 5 perch and a small jack yesterday. The perch are acting normally for this time of year. I noticed alot of waterbugs on the camera, so they will be feasing on them. :icefish:

Offline churks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Can u get on at evans road or is it still blocked?
fish and hunt till it kills me or i kill it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.