Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 33915 times)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:42 AM »
There's no shortage of them. ;D

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Was at the pump house at Shields from 1:30-3:00 today. Did not see anything on the flasher. We had 10-12" of good ice.

I was there earlier on Sunday, drilled a lot of holes and caught one 23" pike. Another pike was lost at the hole. I tired a bunch of brands of spoons with or without tipping. All attracted small fishes. But the only two hook sets were on bare 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz Nickel-plated PK flutter fish.

Offline walleyeguy1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:00 PM »
guys gotta agree with engineman, they are there!

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:48 PM »
anyone know if there are any shacks on the north end yet? planning on putting mine out on saturday. my buddy was out on the weekend said there was about 9" of ice at the north end also said some guy drove on with a half ton and headed out toward shields. Prob a little early to be driving trucks on the lake if you ask me.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:01 PM »
saw a toyota tundra out in the middle yesterday, and took the dodge dakota about 100 yards offshore at south end boat launch. 14-15 inches of solid ice. caught nothing today, did get 2 jacks and a walleye last weekend near shields

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought a few PK jigging lures, going to test them out at the strap on Saturday. Curious what the situation is like for snow cover. Wondering if this will be a bad year for floodwater.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:56 PM »
One foot of ice and one  foot of snow at shore at Evans Road last Sunday. There was less snow off shore.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2012, 03:56 PM »
just over a foot of ice at north end today where i fished. caught 3 pike, 2 on tip up 8 and 7 pounds, 1 on rod 2 pounds, had few other misses
did not see a single perch
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline the shark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:53 AM »
Hey guys and ladies.. just wondering if anybody is driving on the ice with a full size 1/2 ton ???

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:47 AM »
I saw a Toyota Tundra on the ice last week and I took my Dodge Dakota on. There was some cracking as I went out but it was ok, as i didnt go out very far. The ice depth is still inconsistant and you would want to be very very careful whereever you were.

Offline the shark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Thanks engineman.,.Just cant wait to get the shack out there.. Cheers  Happy fishn..

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Was the ice still heaved at the north end where u drive the trucks onto
Yes woman can fish... prepared to be impressed. here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Offline the shark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:01 PM »
i think there is a pretty good dip to get onto the ice but after that you should bve good to go

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:58 AM »
I've been talking to the guy that takes that ridge down EVERY year, and he will be working on it hopefully this week. That is...if the surgery on his shoulder allows him to do it. He does it because no one else does, and he loves to fish as well as anyone else. I'm going to shut up and get off my soap box now.

Offline the shark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Hey was at the Strap today, 16" of good solid ice, northend has more snow than the east side, never seen a single perch on the camera, and only had 2 hits from a northern.. i did see some sauger and whitefish.. Where are these Perch.. same spot as last year and had very good luck, but so far nothing even on the camera this year????? :o

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:11 PM »
how is going on around shield area for perch and walleyes? heard shall be good from mid. of Dec.?

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:22 AM »
how is going on around shield area for perch and walleyes? heard shall be good from mid. of Dec.?

For me it has been mostly pikes and a few walleyes, and even fewer perches around shields. I got mostly walleyes at the Park entrance. I change around in hope of hooking my first whitefish.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Hey was at the Strap today, 16" of good solid ice, northend has more snow than the east side, never seen a single perch on the camera, and only had 2 hits from a northern.. i did see some sauger and whitefish.. Where are these Perch.. same spot as last year and had very good luck, but so far nothing even on the camera this year????? :o

Exact same report for me except saw the odd pike only, no whitefish, suager, or perch. Was skunked. I drove on with my Jimmy and ice was fine but it was a little bouncy getting back up/off.

Last week was similar but saw a couple whitefish too, and came away with a few pike.

Haven't seen a perch yet at blackstrap this year on cam in two outtings at the north end at different depths, where are they?
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Fished the north end today. Slow bite, few small perch, one small pike. Only 1 or 2 others out on a cold windy day. Had to cut it short when I ran out of propane, thought it might pick up in the late afternoon.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Three species were caught with a modified Williams spoon sporting a FishingHole small treble bought last night. In the end, 2 eyes and 3 perches were kept. ~80% of perches were 8" or shorter. Close to 10 eyes were caught. Only three jacks were pulled out. One posed for this photo:

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Nice job toonfisher. I'm hoping the wife allows me to take off for a few hours tomorrow with the weather being somewhat stable the bite should be good.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Most perches were caught by setting hook accidentally. The tip didn't move, the vibration wasn't felt. In all about 15 were caught today from the bottom. Only two were keepers. One was 10", the other tied my best at 12.5".

Offline Schmits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Finally had a chance to head out today, it was my first time fishing on Blackstrap. I spent the morning at Evans road and drilled around 16 holes. The bite was fairly lite, with both the 'eyes and jackfish preferring a deadstick approach on light tackle (1/8oz or lighter). 4 jack were caught with a rattlespoon about 12' down, in 20' of water. 16" being the smallest, the largest 22".  By late morning, I had moved shallower to about 12' fow. I caught 2 'eyes relating to the bottom using another small jigging spoon. Jigging would bring fish onto the flasher, but it was deadsticking that got them to commit to the bait. The first was 17" and the second was 13". Everything made it back down the hole.

I would appreciate it if someone could pm me a spot where I can drive onto the lake.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:26 PM »

Hey schmits I haven't been there in a couple weeks so I'm not sure on the snow conditions on the lake but basically straight across the lake from Evans rd is the provincial park boat launch and it is usually fairly easy to get on and off there and it's easy to find head straight east out of dundurn and follow the signs. I'm guessing since your asking the access at Evans rd has been drifted in?

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Evans Road Access to lake has been drifted in for a couple weeks now. Snow would be at least waist high last time I was out there.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline Schmits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Yes it was drifted in at evans. Yesterday was my first time ice fishing since moving here from Winnipeg. Thanks for the heads up about the access from the park. It will save me a lot of time searching an access point out on my own.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2012, 12:57 PM »
so from everything ive read it seems like the last few weeks the fish have been in shallower water and south of the causeway?

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Thanks for the nice fisherman who gave me whitefish tips while pushing my van out of a slippery patch. Hopefully I'll catch one whity soon.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:03 PM »
it was our pleasure toonfisher...or at least my son's...I cant push a vehicle anymore. As for the whitefish...thats a great spot to get them.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I've been fishing around that area for 10+ times, more than other parts of the lake. The problem must have been my skill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.