Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 33913 times)

Offline noluckjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
Blackstrap
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Ok its time to get some news on the conditions at the strap?

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:07 AM »
4-5 inches of cloudy ice off the boat launch yesterday over about 6 fow. 5-6 inches at bradwell over 2 fow. will check a few more areas today and might even bring a rod with me

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:28 AM »
I heard this morning someone went through the ice south of saskatoon?  Any word if this is true.

Lets make sure you have your safety gear with you its still early guys.

I will have my life jaket on friday when I hit the pound.
Blake from Elbow

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I heard this morning someone went through the ice south of saskatoon?  Any word if this is true.

Lets make sure you have your safety gear with you its still early guys.

I will have my life jaket on friday when I hit the pound.

A guy on a snowmobile tried to cross a slough, heard he ended up sitting on his handlebars till they got a boat to rescue him.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:21 PM »
there were sled tracks from some dipcrap going across mcphee yesterday, right in front of a culvert and beaver house no less.  surprised darwin didn't get em.

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:55 AM »
very glad to see this threads for new ice season. will keep watching and thanks for update.
plan go on ice at the end of Nov. :)

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Is black strap good to go?

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:12 PM »
wouldn't mind to head to blackstrap to go fishing, but not ready to go by myself for the first time of the season, anyone heading out, maybe i could meet u there
Yes woman can fish... prepared to be impressed. here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I'm going to hold off until the weekend. It didnt look great today when i was by there.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:56 PM »
 Anyone have a ice report? Thinking about trying this weekend

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Heard a report of 6", but can't confirm it as it's second hand info.  The last few cold nights probably thickened things up for sure. 

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:47 AM »
went out and fished yesterday, measured between 6 and 8 inches everywhere. fished for an hour, was too cold to stay out for long. going out today with some buddies and a shack and heater.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Fished south end near the sunken road. Ice was 8-9 inches in every hole I drilled. Iced a half dozen small walleye and a nice perch. Two weeks ahead of last year's inaugural outing. Weather was fantastic, hardly a breath of wind.

On a side note, does anyone else have much luck for pike south of the causeway through the ice? Seems all I catch there are perch and the occasional walleye. Get at least a flag or two each trip when I'm on the north side.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Fished south end near the sunken road. Ice was 8-9 inches in every hole I drilled. Iced a half dozen small walleye and a nice perch. Two weeks ahead of last year's inaugural outing. Weather was fantastic, hardly a breath of wind.

On a side note, does anyone else have much luck for pike south of the causeway through the ice? Seems all I catch there are perch and the occasional walleye. Get at least a flag or two each trip when I'm on the north side.
I have never had any luck with pike south of the causeway either through the ice. Even in open water I hardly see them on the south side. Catch almost nothing but pike on the northside

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:43 PM »
fished from 1230 to 1530 today at Evans road, landed one pike and missed one (bigger) near the hole.  great sunny with no wind:)

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 PM »
There is one spot that is great for large pike in Winter past the causeway.  Its my secreat spot as nobody else is there in the winter which I like.  I am sick and tired of garbage and yahoos playing bass thumping musica all day on the ice. The area has some nice perch and pike feast on them.  Can be slow some times but the monsters are there, you can see them down the hole and on the flasher.   Usually in 8-10 FOW.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Evans road aside, the south side sure sees a lot fewer ice fisherman, which along with ease of access is why I head that way about half the time I go out. I usually spend most of my time fishing 20+ FOW, as that's where I tend to find the best perch fishing. Glad to hear you found a good spot that's all your own, a bit of a rarity on Blackstrap.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:28 PM »
I was out on Saturday at evens road caught 6 jacks and 2 picks all small and released and didn't even see a single perch on the flasher or on camera I drilled about 40 holes along the old road. were people catching the perch deep or shallow this time of year? on a side note i saw a ton of whitefish but they never stopped to bite.

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 AM »
how was the depth you found whites?  thanks!

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Glad to hear there are still some whites left we found lots floating belly up this summer ???

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 PM »
how was the depth you found whites?  thanks!
It was in 23ft they were schooling pretty good 5 or 6 would swim by at a time.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:10 PM »
fished the strap saturday and sunday, saturday i started out at evans road with no success so i tried a new spot and landed 2 pike both in that 5 pound range, sunday me and a buddy went back to the same spot and landed 5 walleye biggest being about 4 pounds and 2 decent pike. the ice was good where i was also it ranged between 5-8 inches. it was a good way to start off the ice season.

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:07 PM »
How much snow is on the ice at strap?

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:56 PM »
on Nov 25th, there was little snow on ice near Evans road, quite slippery in most place.

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:42 PM »
I'll be heading out to the north end in the morning, I'll report back with an update.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I'll be heading out to the north end in the morning, I'll report back with an update.

how was you day out at the strap and whats the ice thickness?

Offline IceEye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Slow afternoon out there. Good ice though, I walked out and there was a good 7-8 inches of black ice and another 2 inches of white ice. No hard shacks out that I seen.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Went out to the north end, 8-9 inches where I was with little snow.  Wind was blowing real good early so it made it difficult to set up the portable.  The fish were around but they would come to the hook and look at it then bugger off.  I tried over 10 lures with the same result.  It was the first outing of the season, didn't expect much with the weather change.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:57 PM »
At Evans Road from 10:30-3:00 today. Two pike landed and one lost at hole. No perch activity. Had 9-10 inches of good hard ice and about an inch of white ice on top.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Was at the pump house at Shields from 1:30-3:00 today. Did not see anything on the flasher. We had 10-12" of good ice.
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.