Author Topic: A friendly (non-bashing) Last Mountain discussion  (Read 42720 times)

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
A friendly (non-bashing) Last Mountain discussion
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:57 PM »
  Ok guys, lets try this again, try to keep this friendly.
 How is the ice in the Glen Harbor area. I've heard that the ice has broken up north of there, is this true?
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A friendly Last Mountain discussion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Kanookimaw, anyone know of the conditions or how the fishing is there so far this year?

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Is is fine,  fishing slow as usual.   two words.   The fort.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Just kidding    it was good one the weekend.  7 walleye between the three of us and two perch.   A good day in my book.

Offline Rough Hands

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Kanookimaw, anyone know of the conditions or how the fishing is there so far this year?
Fished Kinookima on Sunday. About 7" of good ice . Fished in 15-20' and only managed one pike and it's not worth taking about. The flasher was active but nothing biting.

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:53 AM »
ive got over a dozen eyes everytime ive been out.  the ice was sure cracking yesterday with all the wind. got another inch- inch and a half in the last couple days with the cold nights.

MikeMiller

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:43 AM »
im thinking of going to little arm sat hope to see some people out there

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Heard yesterday that a guy fell through around there a couple days ago so be careful.

Offline Rough Hands

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Does anyone have any current ice information on barn bay or grand view? Thanks a bunch  ???

MikeMiller

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:11 PM »
how can i drive to little arm from the beach i only no how to get there by driving the lake?

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:15 PM »
If the ice sucks at little arm,  dont bother going north.  It will be two more weeks yet.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Does anyone have any current ice information on barn bay or grand view? Thanks a bunch  ???

There was about four or five inches at grandview last weekend. probably a bit more now.
Still counting.....

Offline Rough Hands

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Thanks Slayer, much appreciated.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:25 AM »
how can i drive to little arm from the beach i only no how to get there by driving the lake?
Unless things have changed, when you get to the intersection above Regina Beach instead of turning right to go down the hill into town keep going straight west past the golf course and you should wind up at tthe river mouth where the trestle used to be.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

MikeMiller

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:33 AM »
thats buzzbomb

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Does anyone know where Tim Geni was fishing when he caught his world record catch and release walleye last year? I grew up in Watrous and used to fish Last Mountain Lake a lot in the summer. However, I now live close to Prince Albert and fish in that area. From what I have been reading, LML is the place to go for ice walleye. Does anyone fish the North around say Last Mountain Regional Park or Etters Beach?

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Does anyone know where Tim Geni was fishing when he caught his world record catch and release walleye last year? I grew up in Watrous and used to fish Last Mountain Lake a lot in the summer. However, I now live close to Prince Albert and fish in that area. From what I have been reading, LML is the place to go for ice walleye. Does anyone fish the North around say Last Mountain Regional Park or Etters Beach?

Stone Barn, Wee Too, Island View are all excellent spots. Plenty of big walleye come out of those spots.

Offline R.B.Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:42 AM »
The ice is a good 7-8" at regina beach. its no problem driving out now and there were 4 shacks that had been pulled out by wednesday!  one problem though......not much for fish! ;D.... go to kinookimaw thats where its at right now!

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I have been up the lake the last couple days and it is really tough. A few fish around but really slow bite.  Heading out to echo tomorrow.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Where on echo are you fishing tomorrow? Maybe I'll see you out there!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:45 PM »

Hi old man of the sea. :)
A person can usually expect to find pike, burbot, tullibees / ciscos at the N end.
You can also get walleye and whitefish an odd time, but from what I have been told they are not a common catch, not like futher S locations mentioned above.

On a side note, have any of you ever fished in Big Arm Bay it's self (3 long finger of water) W of the bridge?
Is that area good for ice fishing or is it a bit too shallow?
Do you find good number of fish that far back in the bay?
What species usually are usually found there?

I have always wondered what Big Arm Bay was like, but have never fished there at all. :-\

WW

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:34 PM »
It was the mouth of the bay before the stone barn. Farthest ive fished north is collingwood for perch but there are some big eyes that come out in that area for sure

Wrong, it was about 30 minutes north up the lake.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:47 PM »
This may sound a little stupid, but is the stone barn on the east or west side of LML. Which beach is it close to. By the way, thanks for all the help. I could only classify it as...... well...... a friendly discussion.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:50 PM »
This may sound a little stupid, but is the stone barn on the east or west side of LML. Which beach is it close to. By the way, thanks for all the help. I could only classify it as...... well...... a friendly discussion.

Its on the west side of the lake, north of grandview beach. There used to be a trail to get to it but the farmer no longer allows people to use it because they kept leaving his gates open in his pastures. A guy pretty much has to wait until the ice is thick enough to drive on unless you had a quad or a sled and im not sure I would do either of thoses yet, still some funny stuff going on out there. This wind and warm weather really messed things up this year.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I hope it get some good ice this year,  I can't wait to get some BIG eyes and some BIG burbs.  Until then we shall settle for our perch.
Blake from Elbow

Offline TulibeeKing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • <'))><
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:19 PM »
news talk is reporting that a truck went threw the ice and grandview. 

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:27 PM »
The ice is a good 7-8" at regina beach. its no problem driving out now and there were 4 shacks that had been pulled out by wednesday!  one problem though......not much for fish! ;D.... go to kinookimaw thats where its at right now!

This is why people fall through the ice in their vehicles.  "no problem" ??  your 7-8 inches could easily be 4-5 inches a hundred yards away. Get smarter. >:(
Still counting.....

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:29 PM »
Probably the same idiots we seen drive across the lake from pelican on quads right by the pressure ridge. Bunch of guys driving there trucks on at little arm with only 8-9" of ice.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:32 PM »
It was a quad that went through apparently.    The ice is terrible this year.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:54 PM »
news talk is reporting that a truck went threw the ice and grandview.  #idiots
Now they're saying it was a quad and the RCMP and fire crews are at the scene and the police aren't releasing any details.  This could get ugly.  My friends were across the lake and said they could hear motors racing and a big splash.  Also that there appeared to be 6 or 7 trucks at the stone barn.  Even in a little truck I wouldn't go out now.  They said 100 yds out from where they were fishing the ice was heaving and water coming up.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.