Author Topic: Buffalo Pound  (Read 29174 times)

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buffalo Pound
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Was out Fri and had my limit of walleye and perch and had 1 pike. First time in 10 years of ice  fishing Buffalo I caught walleye...it was astonishing to say the least. My biggest was 7.5 lbs. :o I know some year round residents out there are getting their limit of walleye every outing as well.
Ice was about 12 inches where I was and could see trucks driving on there in the distance.

Cheers!!

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Sounds like a great day on the pound. Glad to see our local fisher coming back to the days when I was a kid.
Blake from Elbow

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:34 PM »
Sounds like a great day on the pound. Glad to see our local fisher coming back to the days when I was a kid.

It really is nice.  I kept 3 walleye, let the bigger one go and had the perch for supper Sat. I hope everyone sticks to the limits and Buffalo Pound will be a top producer for years to come. Im still amazed that walleye are biting during the winter....really is strange for Buffalo.

Cheers!!

Offline Team Top-It 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I have never been to the pound and like to try new lakes. Where do I get on the ice vehicle or walking and where should I fish.

Thanks

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I hope this link works.  Take the #2 north of Moose Jaw, you'll come to the turn for South Lake.  When you get to the bottom of the hill take a left.  Follow the road to Loney's.  There is a boat launch there to access the lake.  There is usually a bunch of shacks out front of the boat launch. 

When you come down the hill opposite the lake is a good spot lots of shacks.  You can either drive across the lake from loney's or follow the #2 around over the causeway, take your first right after causeway and follow the road till it runs out.

You can find perch,pike,walleye and burbs.  A guy even pulled a 23lb. carp out earlier this year.

PM if you want more detailed directions
Blake from Elbow

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Blake from Elbow

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #66 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Good reports, good to read you guys are getting into the fish. I heard at the tackle store a few weeks ago Buffalo Pound is producing some nice walleye this winter.

"A guy even pulled a 23lb. carp out earlier this year"
Poorfisherman, do you know how deep or what they used to get the carp?

I think it would be a blast to catch one, even a little one, but no one I have talked to knows where
they go in winter or what they do.

WW

Offline Jmiverson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:51 PM »
How is the ice on buffalo after this wkd? I was on it fri, plan to go back this wkd.

Offline Team Top-It 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:21 PM »
I hope this link works.  Take the #2 north of Moose Jaw, you'll come to the turn for South Lake.  When you get to the bottom of the hill take a left.  Follow the road to Loney's.  There is a boat launch there to access the lake.  There is usually a bunch of shacks out front of the boat launch. 

When you come down the hill opposite the lake is a good spot lots of shacks.  You can either drive across the lake from loney's or follow the #2 around over the causeway, take your first right after causeway and follow the road till it runs out.

You can find perch,pike,walleye and burbs.  A guy even pulled a 23lb. carp out earlier this year.

PM if you want more detailed directions

Thank you Poorfisherman

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Good reports, good to read you guys are getting into the fish. I heard at the tackle store a few weeks ago Buffalo Pound is producing some nice walleye this winter.

"A guy even pulled a 23lb. carp out earlier this year"
Poorfisherman, do you know how deep or what they used to get the carp?

I think it would be a blast to catch one, even a little one, but no one I have talked to knows where
they go in winter or what they do.

WW

Location of the Carp is unknown to me "keep it secret keep it safe".  I do know they were fishing perch/walleye small jigs.  Thats all I got.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #70 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Thanks poorfisherman. :)

I just watched In-Fishman Ice fishing guide TV show this week and it had a segment at the end about carp fishing though the ice.
They were fishing in Green Bay and caught a few big carp on a small jigging rapala.
Here is the action from that episode -----> http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/12/20/ice-fishing-for-carp/ @)

WW

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I know alot of guys who bow fish on Buffalo and they always head to the far west end. the lake is shallow  at that end with lots of weeds in the summer. I know they arrow some big carp and bigmouth buffalo's out there. Ive also seen them when Im out quading in that area sunning themselves. Ive never saw a shack out that way either or even a hole drilled when Im out coyote hunting there.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Cool vid thanks WW, a few of us are heading out tomorrow afternoon.  Hope I can post some pics of pigs.
Blake from Elbow

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Great Carp action... I am still blown away by the number of Walleye being pulled out of the Pound

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:06 PM »
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss165/poorfisherman/endof2011065.jpg

So made it out late this afternoon.  The Shack almost didn't make er,  Hitch on shack broke and left me with 2 holes in the end gate, one broken tail light and finished of impailing itself on the hitch of the truck for a new air hole in shack.  My end gate had a pretty good dint from a quad loading incident this summer so now its worth while finding a new one.  The few hour of fishing we got in were pretty good, we iced 2 small walleye a few perch and the pike in the pic.  Will be out again tomorrow look for the black dodge with speed holes in the end gate and stop by for a Christmas coffee ;).
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:09 PM »
nice size pike!  were you out by loneys?
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:20 PM »
hopefully going to get out on boxing day.  is anyone else planning on hitting the ice then? 
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline wolfman17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I plan on taking my dad out then, he hasn't had time to ice fish in a long time...hope we do well! Maybe see you out there!

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Hope to see you there as well. It's always nice to get out with family and friends. I will probably. Be going to loneys, went to the north boat launch about 2 weeks ago and had lots of bites. I hear loneys has been good as well.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:32 PM »
We are now set up at the east end of the loneys trailer park.  Will be out tomorrow and boxing day.
Blake from Elbow

Offline got-ya

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tic tic slam
« Reply #80 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:53 PM »
    Word is the perch fishing is HOT. Boxing day should be busy with the weather forcast. Good luck to all.  ;)

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:36 AM »
ya the bite was pretty good last time i was out so i hope it is still on!!  i hope to see alot of ppl out there enjoying the awesome weather

Offline Akiry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I am thinking about heading out to Buffalo Pound at some point either this weekend or next week at some point.  With this warmish weather we have been having how has the ice been holding up?

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Ice is still good guy driving in lots of locations on the lake - DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT USE YOUR OWN JUDGMENT.  Today had a good pike bite multipule double graders on tipups.  Perch were slow and small.  Walleye are up to there old tricks again.  Super nice day out kids sent all day in skates out side.  We stayed in one spot today now that the shack is on.  Over all a great day on the ice. 
Blake from Elbow

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Went out this morning and in about 3 hours got about 50-60 perch and 1 eye.  Had a blast.  At one point I could not even eat a muffin because they were hitting before my jig got to the bottom. ;D

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:53 PM »
if you dont mind me asking jhepting where abouts on the lake were you and what bait were u using?

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:32 AM »
I was at Loney's using a small glow in the dark jig with  small minnow but when they were hitting really fast I switched to a fake pink grub because they would take the minnow before it got to the bottom and i would miss the bite while they got a free minnow.  Also i noticed that they started to bite a lot more after I tuned into cbc radio one.  More then likely the radio had nothing to do with the bite though.  It was a day i probley won't repeat for a while.

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:19 PM »
ya i have yet to have a day like that. i cant wait for one!

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:28 PM »
These next few days might not be all that great for heading out.  60+km winds rain, snow.  Oh never mind I go out anyways.
Blake from Elbow

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 26, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Unfortunately I was called in to work this morning and did not make it out.  Did anyone make it to the pound today?  How is the ice holding up with the warmer weather?
Blake from Elbow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.