Author Topic: Buffalo Pound  (Read 29173 times)

Offline Icehole9

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buffalo Pound
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Ive only ever caught one to and it wasn't much to talk about, maybe they will be a little hungier, thats a good point.

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Did the perch have markings on them??

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Some of perch not all had brown/black spots on the gill plates. It was not just a surface thing the whole gill plate was discolored right through.  I did not keep any that had the defect.  The walleye were clear and the pike was fine. 
Blake from Elbow

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I noticed this too. Some of them had their entire gill plates rotted right off, leaving the gills exposed.  Must be ones that survived that "parasite" or whatever was killing them in the spring.
Still counting.....

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Was the camera still surrounded with tons of fingerlings. Did they still scatter when a jumbo swam up??

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Camera was SURROUNDED with little ones.  They would bugger off  when the walleye showed up and when the bigger perch.
Blake from Elbow

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Post this weekends success??

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Here you go, hope this works.

Made a couple of amature videos of todays action. Lots of perch saw one walleye and had a pike on tip up and missed one on the jig pole. Kept my 10 perch, they are frying as I type.

Blake from Elbow

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Nice video, that looks like good eating right there.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Great Job Nice fish. Those fish Loved that Lure. I would Love to see walleye Like that smash the Lure. Bet they taste goooooddddd.. I love the taste of perch.,,nice job.

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:32 AM »
Going to get out in the morning! Fishing is amazing right now! Can't wait to cut ice! I'll give a full report when I get back.

Offline taillite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:43 PM »
hello poor fisherman and all the rest of you good fishing people , if a person was to come over to Buffalo pound to try to catch some perch , were might be a good place to start ? I have only fished there in the spring opening day a few years back.
 thank you in advance for any help

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:18 AM »
If you take the road to southlake/sunvalley you'll be able to see a small village forming on the north side of the lake.  Loneys is also a good starting point.  Fishing seems to be the same as last year. Lots of small ones anywhere you go just have to wait out the big girls.  Remember Buffallo has a limit of 10 perch and the CO's have been doing regular checks. 
Blake from Elbow

Offline taillite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:30 PM »
thank you , we will give a go next weekend i hope.

Offline Jmiverson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I was at north shore on sat, cut 13" of ice. Was not expecting that much, or as many trucks out there. Caught lots of perch and a little walleye

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:30 AM »
I'm not sure why but Buffalo has frozen up faster with good ice compared to other lakes the last few years.  Nice to see s few eyes still being caught.
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I was at the north side yesterday and caught a lot of perch and on burbot. It was a good day on the ice!
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:20 PM »
I'm not sure why but Buffalo has frozen up faster with good ice compared to other lakes the last few years.  Nice to see s few eyes still being caught.
Probably because the deepest part of the lake is only about 18 feet deep.  Cools faster due to lower water volume and large surface area for the size of the lake.

Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:04 PM »
got out on the ice at BP on sat had a blast second time ever ice fishing!

those Burbots are slimy!
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Nice to see the dogs making a comeback along with the perch.  I really hope that made the pan.
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:51 PM »
no the burbot never made the pan im not 100% sure how to fillet them so i didnt bother.  but we kept a few perch and had lil fry

Offline walleye protector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:14 PM »
QUINN. only your second time ice fishing and I can tell by your pics that you are hooked like the rest of us.As for those dogs find someone to show you how to clean them properly,you will be supprised how good they are,just cook them like any other fish.FISH AND ENJOY.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Heres a pretty good vid on cleaning burbs

Its SOOOO good. Now I feel like heading out right now. Ive caught more dogs at night.
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:32 PM »
walleye protector you got it im hooked! its an awesome way to beat old man winter thats for sure.  me and two buddies went out that day and it was great cant wait for many more of them.  thanks for that vid poorfisherman it looks fairly easy to clean them i have only heard good things about eating burbot.  thanks for a all the tips and i hope to see you guys on the ice this winter!

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:33 PM »
PS. next burbot i catch if decent size, i will be cooking up!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Way to go quinn and company, it's a great way to spend a winter day for sure, fresh clean air, a bit of exercises, fun with family and friends and if you decide to keep a few a good healthy meal afterwards.

Burbot are indeed a great eating fish, they have a white, slightly chewy meat, that if done correctly like in the video, is completely boneless and if you like the taste of cod fish you will find them equally tasty. They are great cooked most ways but my favorate is deep fried in cubes with a french fries or rice on the side, um mm mmm good. ;)

When the burbot start to spawn late Feb. and March you should really have some wild burbot action if you can find the spots where they spawn.

Good luck and welcome to the great sport of ice fishing.
Be safe and have fun. :tipup:

W
W

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Further to Water Wolf input.  Few years back my son and I fished the "A Frame" point across from Bah Say Tah on Echo in that time frame in about 7' of water.  Burbot were up and it was a literal gong show.  Couple of native fellas saw the action and came over to see what we were doing - they couldn't believe how many we were catching.  We kept a few and gave them our lures, minnows and some line to hand line and left them to it when we left.  Always wondered how they made out.  If you like burbot and on Echo around that time check out that underwater point and you just might hit the mother lode.

When it comes to cooking them I have found either deep frying or boiling is best - my preference is boiling as unlike most fish we catch they do not fall apart.  Put in boiling water and when the float they are done.  Melted butter with garlic powder, crusty roll and you have the poor man's lobster - awesome.  Pan frying seems to make them tough and chewy.   

Hope I didn't burn anybody's favorite spot, but then I'm a walleye nut not a burbot nut!!!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:48 PM »
 also found that dogfish isn't much good after it's been frozen.

Offline DFunke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:06 PM »
hope to be heading out the pound this weekend hopefully the bite is still oht. i always seem to miss it out there

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Was out yesterday the bite has seemed to have slowed down, tho I shouldn't complain caught a nice 13" perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.