Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 52275 times)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #60 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:09 PM »
do whatever you want

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:30 PM »
WELL THAT DOESN'T TELL ME ANYTHING
do whatever you want

Offline clamcatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:40 PM »
What he's saying is go ahead. Then he'll probably be close by watching as you Cherokee goes down. Then he'll come back here and post how he watched some guy crawl out his window as his truck sunk.

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:24 PM »
WELL HE WON'T BE SEEING A DUDE CRAWLING OUT THE WINDOW, BUT MAYBE A CHICK. YA THAT'S RIGHT BOYS, THERE IS SUCH THING AS A CHICK FISHERWOMAN. LOL EAT IT UP!!! ANYWASE, WHAT ABOUT A QUAD PULLING THE SHACK, THINK IT WOULD BE SAFE ENOUGH?
What he's saying is go ahead. Then he'll probably be close by watching as you Cherokee goes down. Then he'll come back here and post how he watched some guy crawl out his window as his truck sunk.

Offline clamcatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Your right there. He won't be seeing a woman crawling out of the window. That's because the fisherwoman will be stuck in the window.That's right fellas a fisherwoman.  Lol.
 All jokes aside depends on your shack size etc. I'd give it another week. Just to be safe.

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:35 PM »
ha ha ha. na no fatty here, but thanks for the info. this weekend is supose to be hitting -20's so hopefully that will help. But ya heading out there tomorrow with some tip ups and sitting in the jeep watching a movie. lol

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:02 AM »
ha ha ha. na no fatty here, but thanks for the info. this weekend is supose to be hitting -20's so hopefully that will help. But ya heading out there tomorrow with some tip ups and sitting in the jeep watching a movie. lol

Yeah, I'd definately give it a bit more before driving the truck on. You need a minimum of a solid 12-15" to support an SUV or truck.  And because thicknesses can be pretty hit and miss early in the year like this, I'd give it a fair bit more.  The best advice it to not be the first person on, or the last one off...

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:43 AM »
Give it another week, with the cold temps it will be safe by next week.  No need to be worried when driving on the ice, not good for the nerves!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Well fisherperson...my shack won't be going on for another week. Right now there's a ridge at the road on to the lake, as well as not enough ice for a truck. Some people have pulled their shacks on from shore or with a quad. As for being a female, that doesn't matter. I've seen both male and female falling in!! It's all about attitude!!!!! :icefish:

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:07 PM »
thanks guys for the heads up on the ice. Any big ones out there still. looking for a min of a 20lber to be on my wall. lol or a real nice walleye. ya i'm not asking for much. lol

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:34 PM »
The pike were biting pretty good today at the Strap!!  Lots of flags but pretty chilly out there!  Lots of fun tho!  :tipup:

9.5" at the North end where we were.

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SDFT. Saskatchewan Drinking and Fishing Team
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:45 AM »
Yeah, I'd definately give it a bit more before driving the truck on. You need a minimum of a solid 12-15" to support an SUV or truck.  And because thicknesses can be pretty hit and miss early in the year like this, I'd give it a fair bit more.  The best advice it to not be the first person on, or the last one off...

ya, wait for me to be "that guy"  9" solid inches of good blue ice today, but i would give it two more weeks for sure.  better safe then sorry.

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:37 PM »
thanks for the update u guys, i think ill be heading out tomorrow on the north end. set some tipups up an sit in the jeep ON SHORE lol where its warm. are they biting threwout the day or hitting mornings an late afternoons?

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:57 PM »

through the day it seems like. ;D ;D

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Went out to the boat launches again for the latter part of the afternoon. Couple nibbles, but otherwise skunked. There were a few trucks on the ice, which I found surprising, but the ice is definitely thickening up. Going to try north of the causeway tomorrow if I can manage the time.

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SDFT. Saskatchewan Drinking and Fishing Team
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:49 PM »
through the day it seems like. ;D ;D

ya, more during the day and much, much less at night, i find anyhow. 

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Hit the Strap for 6 hours today, only 3 jacks but they were decent size, lost lots of others plus lost 2 walleye at the hole, stupid treble hooks caught on the ice.  9 inches where I was fishing in 16 feet of water.  Not a bad day but my propane ran out so it go a little chilly towards the end.  The morning seems to be better for walleye and the jack weren't hitting the lures to hard.

Offline noluckjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:15 AM »
where you fishing the north end? and mind saying what you were using for the walleye? Not that I have ever caught anything out there.... :-\

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:20 AM »
well it's 11:15am and seems alil too chilly for me to be heading out today. sorry anyone going out today

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:27 AM »
yep way to windy. If you have a clam out there today all you have to do is pull anchor at the end of the day and your shack could beet you back to stoon. ;D. warmer days coming will wate till then.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Yep, we pulled the plug on going to the strap today too.  -34 with the windchill is pushing it for my comfort level.  It looks like there's lots of nicer temps on the way though :)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:37 PM »
My kids out fishing right now. Colder than my ex wifes heart out there!!! Bloody big jack grabbed my camera and ripped the wires out of the body!!!!!!!! That's 2 cameras in 2 winters!!! :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:22 PM »
well atleast you know what kinda bait you gotta start using now!

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:12 PM »
My kids out fishing right now. Colder than my ex wifes heart out there!!! Bloody big jack grabbed my camera and ripped the wires out of the body!!!!!!!! That's 2 cameras in 2 winters!!! :%$#!: :%$#!:

stop buying the ones that look like perch or other fish.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:43 PM »
I was using the salmo chubby darter with no bait for the walleye in the N end.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #85 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:25 AM »

My Aqua Vu came with 100 feet of 200lb test cable I gotto go to the Strap those pike must be huge. I think a couple of trebles below the bottom weight should do it.   Seriously I have had big pike knock the camera around a bit but they have never grabbed it.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:52 AM »
She grabbed it at the top and punctured the cable and broke a wire off inside. Still have the body. it just is fried from the water and it has a couple of nice tooth marks along the top.

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:39 PM »
the warm weather doesnt help me for needing to drive on the ice to get my shack out. crap wanted to do it on wed. doesnt look like that will be happening. stupid weather

Offline bigeyes2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:17 PM »
hi i'm new to this site and i don't see anywhere to post so i replied to you

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Just click on the person's name on the left hand side and then scroll down to the bottom where it says additional information, then click send this person a personal message.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.