Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 52277 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Got out this afternoon for a few hours...very very slow! Just wondering if anyone's having any decent luck anywhere on the lake???

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Question for everyone - I have heard a story that there is a dugout somewhere in the lake... Once apon a time, before they flooded the place, there was a dugout that someone had out there. Then they flooded the valley and now its a nice bit of underwater structure. Apparently if you can find it, it's an amazing walleye hole... (typical fish story!) Has anyone else heard this, or know of it???

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:14 PM »
It's there all right, but I'm not willing to let that one out. Sorry.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:22 AM »
That's fine Engineman - I completely understand! I wasn't sure if anyone would reply to it anyways, but thanks a bunch!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:18 PM »
hows the bite at blackstrap?  any luck out there?

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:19 AM »
im headed outt to the strap right now.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:23 PM »
The north end turns into shack city once the ice thickens up, not to mention the fact that everyone seems to have a gas auger these days (except me :P) and drills about 30 holes before the first line goes into the water. I've generally avoided fishing in the crowd at the far north end, but have explored other areas north of the causeway and found the pike/walleye fishing definitely superior to the south side. I'll hopefully be heading out around the park on Saturday/Sunday to see if I can find some bigger perch like last winter. Was the 5" of ice you mentioned at the north end or at the park? Never like being the first guy to test the ice.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:02 AM »
About 100 yds off boat launch #2 is a good spot for perch.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Wish I could but work seems to get in the way occasionally! ;D ;D

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:43 PM »
well went out to blackstrap thursday fished north end from about 4 to 22 fow noo luck seen two whitefish though. anyone else havin any luck out there?

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:25 PM »
It might be a bit early for the north end yet. I'd try right off the boat launches on the south end.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:07 PM »
caught 2 small pike today at the north end.  had a few more bites as well, but lost em!

there was some wind on the lake today! lol

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Got in my first hard water fishing of the season, went down to the boat launches at the park in search of a few perch for supper. By the time I did chores and dragged my gear down from the garage rafters, it was already 2pm but managed a couple hours of fishing after getting on the ice. Couple nibbles right after setting up the frabill, then nothing for over an hour. About ten minutes before calling time of death, I hooked what I thought was a jumbo perch, but to my surprise a nice pan sized walleye popped up through the hole. First time I've caught anything there but perch.  That was it, nothing else, but it made a nice supper with some fries and a beer.

Ice is getting close to 8 inches, there were a few sleds on the ice, and a number of shacks out. If you're going out on foot, I'd say the ice is definitely no longer a concern.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Good to see the ice is a decent thickness and you didn't get skunked, I will have to try next week for sure if I can get my blades sharpened in time.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:36 PM »
first time out this year. fished the south road at sun up for 3 hrs... SKUNKED. had a good hit, but missed 'em. was just a little too cold to stay out there with no fish or shack today!

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:17 AM »
been north end on sunday from 1230 to 1630, right from the pipe @ depth 16-20 feet.  land 2 small pike. not many bottom activitie from my FL-8SE.
going to try again in next week.

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:51 PM »
the ice is not 8" i can tell you that, went out sunday, thicket ice i hit after drilling several holes on the north end was about 6.5", on the east side where the damn snow banks are plenty the ice was 3-6" very unsafe for a quad to travel on that's forsure. Going to be 2-3 weeks before we are even close to driving on.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:30 PM »
I will second that ice report - i tried moving down towards the beach and went out and popped a few holes. When the auger broke thru I could feel the ice vibrate under my feet. it was no 8" but more like 3-4. needless to say I got spooked and quickly left the way I came. The funny thing was I drilled in snowmobile tracks...

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Follow the trail to some new under water structure lol

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:30 PM »
there was close to 8 inches at the north end today!

every where we drilled.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:46 PM »
coldazice and ochocenko, you guys bring up a good point about the variability of ice conditions this time of year. I sure didn't mean to imply that the entire lake is covered in the same quantity/quality of ice, just where I was fishing (by the launches), should have been more clear about that. There's little to no snow cover in that area, so I'm sure it's freezing faster than other places. My tape measure said conservatively 7+ inches for the half dozen holes I drilled, and it was very good quality ice.

At the end of the day it's your own safety, so take necessary precautions despite what anyone else says.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:46 PM »
no worries angus, i was just refering to everyone talking about thicker ice, and agreing with coldazice. I just have really never fished this early and was really surprised to see how much a little bit of snow makes in ice thickness. I was fishing south of the boat launches the same day and there was good ice (6-8") down there as well.

Another thing I found a little odd was how the causeway was iced up. I'm not sure if I have ever seen it iced up. Not that it would be very thick, just odd to not see it open this time of year.

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Went to the north end today.  I caught three small pike and my friend caught 1.  We had quite a few bites, and aggressive ones earlier in the day. By late afternoon, they bit a lot less fiercly.  Best day I have had on Blackstrap yet.

Fishing is zen.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:09 PM »
We caught 7 jacks in 4 hours a week and a half ago. Was a blast!! :icefish:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:44 PM »
 attaboy tboy, what did you catch them on?  i can't remember catching a jack under 3-4lbs 5-6 years ago when i fished it frequently, but i guess we were always fishing big baits under tipups or floats.  was by myself one time at the strap with a smelt on a deadstick and jigging another rig when i hooked a good fish on my jig pole about 8-9lber.  had it up to the hole when my dead stick went off.  flipped the bail on the jig stick and let that fish run, set the hook on the other one and created a total rodeo show in the shack.  managed to get em both up their respective holes and got a pretty cool double-header photo not to mention the buddies loved the poorman's lobster  ;D

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Got a report today of 9 1/2" @ the north end. Still not enough for my truck but it's gett in there!!!
:icefish:

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:06 PM »
attaboy tboy, what did you catch them on?  i can't remember catching a jack under 3-4lbs 5-6 years ago when i fished it frequently, but i guess we were always fishing big baits under tipups or floats.  was by myself one time at the strap with a smelt on a deadstick and jigging another rig when i hooked a good fish on my jig pole about 8-9lber.  had it up to the hole when my dead stick went off.  flipped the bail on the jig stick and let that fish run, set the hook on the other one and created a total rodeo show in the shack.  managed to get em both up their respective holes and got a pretty cool double-header photo not to mention the buddies loved the poorman's lobster  ;D

I was using a white 3" double-tail jigs with an orange and chartruese head.  Not really a record pike set-up.  I was just happy to catch what I did.  Love the bite.

Fishing is zen.

Offline fisherman!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:58 PM »
thinking i am going to hit the strap this weekend! ;D

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Love the bite.

the tug is the drug  ;D

Offline fishingfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:06 PM »
SO I'VE BEEN TOLD BLACKSTRAP IS 6-8". ALSO 2-3 IN SOME PLACES. SO IM WONDERING HOW I SHOULD GET MY SHACK ON THE ICE ON THE NORTH END? IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE MY CHEROKEE AND TRAILER ON THE ICE YET TO UNLOAD MY SHACK, OR AM I SUPOSE TO SIT HERE AND WAIT FOR THIS ICE TO THICKEN MORE.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.