Author Topic: Secret Lake.... ok not really..... but I do have some questions  (Read 2750 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular

The image above is of a lake very close to my house (I would rather not name it although it would be easy to figure out so not sure why I am keeping it a secret). Anyways, I was told that it has walleye which I never believed. It is not supposed to have walleye. The lake is overrun by 6-8in white bass or white perch. It has a decent crappie and wiper population but very little in the gil and bass department. I never have any success when I ice fish this lake but due to its proximity to my house I always try it 3 or 4 times a year. Last year I was lucky enough to find one and get one to bite. It was a nice and solid 18" walleye. I caught the fish in the area near the red star on the lake. This year while browsing the internet I came across this information....

"District 1 fisheries biologists fish conducted a hybrid striped bass (wiper) survey last Thursday (9/17). The surface water temperature was 69 F and the bottom was 68F. The survey turned up lots of hybrid stripers, with the best locations in the northern half of the lake near the drop off from 6 to 11 ft of water and the connection between the north and south basins. The fish ranged in length from 16.8 to 24.2 inches with over half the fish ranging from 19 to 22 inches. The fish were present throughout the water column, but baits resembling shad or white perch with rattles might be good as water clarity was poor (1 foot). In addition to wipers being collected (no DNR stocking have been done or permitted) there were 10 walleyes that ranged from 16.7 to 26.4, despite the lack of walleye stocking. Channel catfish were quite abundant in the nets as well most of the fish collected were 2 to 5 lbs. "

As I stated above I have only caught one walleye out of this lake. I would love some direction on how to attack it. I have ice fished it twice this year and no luck at all. I also have tried fishing it out of my kayak and out of a boat last spring and summer. No success at all except for that one walleye last ice season.

So my questions are:

1. The fish survey only turned up 10 walleye in a 780 acre lake. Am I wasting my time with such a small population.
2. What portions of the lake would you fish and how?
3. Should I throw nothing but white bass/perch looking baits. I assume that is what they are feeding on.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
If I were going looking I would fish between the two pinch point in the middle on the west side. The other point looks good and the south side. Deeper water close to a feeding area. I would drill all the way across and use ripping rap's, jigging raps PK spoons and work my way across and see if I got any followers  and go from there. With the size of fish found in the survey I was use larger bait to keep smaller stuff off to see. I would also put a camera down if nothing bites to see what I'm drawing in. I would for sure be  fishing because the fish size would make you think there's some big fish in there. If I was going to set tip ups I'd run large minnows and fish them at night shallower.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
If I were going looking I would fish between the two pinch point in the middle on the west side. The other point looks good and the south side. Deeper water close to a feeding area. I would drill all the way across and use ripping rap's, jigging raps PK spoons and work my way across and see if I got any followers  and go from there. With the size of fish found in the survey I was use larger bait to keep smaller stuff off to see. I would also put a camera down if nothing bites to see what I'm drawing in. I would for sure be  fishing because the fish size would make you think there's some big fish in there. If I was going to set tip ups I'd run large minnows and fish them at night shallower.

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.