Author Topic: Bobber stops and micro eyes  (Read 2001 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bobber stops and micro eyes
« on: Aug 02, 2020, 11:49 PM »
Open water or on the ice: what do you use that can slip through the micro eye guides?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bobber stops and micro eyes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2020, 09:24 AM »
what ice rod are you using that has micro guides?

Open water i usually don't slip bobber tooo deep but a simple string type bobber stop flows through the small pac bay minimas on the st croix panfish series rods decently. Just trim the tag ends to be very short

Catchin' Fish

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2020, 09:25 AM »
I do not know if they would go through micro eyes or not. I found some slip bobber knots that  go through the guides on the fly rods I fish pan fish with. The are fine sting that makes a small knot. All other knots I would try were too big and hang up in the snake guides changing the depth.

They came from Fishers Bait and Tackle in White Pigeon MI. PH 269 483 7861 This is from an old package so i am not sure if they are still in business.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2020, 10:24 AM »
what ice rod are you using that has micro guides?

Open water i usually don't slip bobber tooo deep but a simple string type bobber stop flows through the small pac bay minimas on the st croix panfish series rods decently. Just trim the tag ends to be very short

X2...the rubber ones work also but hard to move up and down light line .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Most places have both the thick and thin string type, just look. Used to be color coded pink and green but that kind of went away from the old Lindy days. Not sure any will work well with micro guides, but they seem to be going away too. Never seen them on an ice rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:08 AM »
If passing through the micro size line guides...good old mono fishing line, the colored kind or just mark it up with a marker.  If you can tie a fishing uni knot then you're good.  Just need to figure which line diameter will work for you, or rather say work for the bead to.  10# 14# or even 20# mono for a string bobber stop.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Most places have both the thick and thin string type, just look. Used to be color coded pink and green but that kind of went away from the old Lindy days. Not sure any will work well with micro guides, but they seem to be going away too. Never seen them on an ice rod.

https://stopperlures.com/collections/stop-knots-bobber-stops/products/stop-knots-bobber-stops

Catchin' Fish

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2020, 12:02 PM »
I would just use a different rod that had the right size guides.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.