Author Topic: How to use a quickstrike rig  (Read 3980 times)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
How to use a quickstrike rig
« on: Jan 07, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I made up some quickstrike rigs the other night and have them all set up and ready. But my question is, for the people that use them, do they live up to their name, or do you let them run and eat the bait still? Any input would be great!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How to use a quick-strike rig
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I've been using them ever since I read about them in In-Fisherman magazine 25 years or so ago. I use nothing else. The trick to them is not setting the hook unless the fish is moving. Also you don't have to yank their jaw off, just a firm pull up with your arm. I've had better than 95% hook ups with them. Almost always in the corner of their jaw unless they suck them down too fast. Hook the minnow with one hook just behind the head and the second under the dorsal fin. Good luck.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: How to use a quickstrike rig
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:43 PM »
I've been using them for a couple of seasons now and have come up with this way of using them-

Live bait- 1 hook in the lips, one by the tail
dead bait - 1 hook in the back of the head, odd hook in the fish so the shank lays flat, one by the dorsal fin to try and get it to hang level

The ideal situation is to set the hook as soon as they start running with it, if you're standing right there when your flag goes up this is not a problem, if you're not they are more than likely going to swallow at least the front hook and make releasing them difficult if that is what you want to do.  What I started doing last year and have experimented with many different ways is this-

Set you bait for the depth you want, then peel off about 5 more feet of line and take a rubberband and loop it around your main line and thru itself, tighten it up around the main line and then wrap it around your spool 1 or 2 times and then wrap that 5 feet back on the spool and set your flag.  When the fish hits your bait and takes off it will get 5 feet of line and then the hooks will be set by the rubberband,  If it is a big fish it will pull a few times and then break the rubberband and be off to the races, but at least it is hooked already and it can't swallow the bait any further.  I have had very good success with this last year and it is working great this year too.  Almost all fish will be hooked in the mouth some where just like they had hit a stick bait.  Try it, you'll like it. just don't use it on junky tipups as a big fish will give it a work out when it gets to the rubberband and then again at the bottom of your spool ;)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:24 PM »
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I kind of get what your saying, but is there anyway you could like get pics of the loop around the line, and spool or something? Thanks man!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:26 PM »
there are a hundred threads on this  ::)  click the search button and type in quick strike rigs

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:30 PM »
how effective is this loop method?

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I kind of get what your saying, but is there anyway you could like get pics of the loop around the line, and spool or something? Thanks man!
Here ya go!

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Set you bait for the depth you want, then peel off about 5 more feet of line and take a rubberband and loop it around your main line and thru itself, tighten it up around the main line and then wrap it around your spool 1 or 2 times and then wrap that 5 feet back on the spool and set your flag.  When the fish hits your bait and takes off it will get 5 feet of line and then the hooks will be set by the rubberband,  If it is a big fish it will pull a few times and then break the rubberband and be off to the races, but at least it is hooked already and it can't swallow the bait any further.  I have had very good success with this last year and it is working great this year too.  Almost all fish will be hooked in the mouth some where just like they had hit a stick bait.  Try it, you'll like it. just don't use it on junky tipups as a big fish will give it a work out when it gets to the rubberband and then again at the bottom of your spool ;)
That sounds pretty slick. Will give it a try. THX

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.