Author Topic: SE Idaho (IF, Rexburg, Ashton area) Ice fishing report  (Read 5169 times)

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cuttemjack (Matt) and I fished yesterday.  Hit Mud lake in the morning after hearing some reports of 'bigger' perch.  We fished for 2 hrs and at times had some hot action.  Unfortunately, all fish were small.  Some were smaller than my pinky finger.  Nothing bigger than 6" out of ~50 fish caught.  Pretty discouraging.

We decided to head out in search of better water.  Checked on Ririe ice.  3-5" of good ice, but some thin spots.  Fished for 3 hrs and landed some kokes and one perch.  Fairly slow, but better than nothing.  

Reports we've heard indicate that Ashton Res. has good ice and is fishing well for small stocker trout

I don't mind posting reports if others contribute also.  But if I'm the only one talking on here and there are just a bunch of 'lookers' then I'm not gonna keep sharing info.  So if you wanna hear how I'm doing then contribute! ;D

Good luck all!

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SE Idaho (IF, Rexburg, Ashton area) Ice fishing report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Thanks for the reports!  I heard the ice is good at Big Elk on Palisades so we are heading out tomorow.  I will post up a report later.

Offline 2fairweatherfishers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Similar report,
Took the kids out on Ririe New Years day and got into a few perch over a couple hours fishing on the bottom.
Pretty slow. Couldn't fish where we wanted to yet due to thin ice. We were fishing on about 3-4 inches. The fish were small but the kids had fun.

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Did you get there late in the afternoon and set up a shanty on New Years? If so, we saw you there.
We hit Ririe first thing this moring and caught a few Cutt's right off the bat. Picked up 3 small kokanee (1 was REALLY small) and that was it for the day. Fished from 8:00am until 2:00 and never saw another kokanee or a single perch. There were about 40 rods out total. I did see a couple more trout and a couple suckers but it was really slow. We marked a few fish on the Vexilar which I took to be Kokanee and some trout but never saw anything on the bottom all day. I don't know where the perch were but they were not where we were and the kokanee were tight lipped.

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Hey guys, went to Palisades last week at Big Elk.  We got out early and limited out by 11.  We caught some good cuts and some skinny browns.  Went out again today and did ok we caught 10 fish between 7:30 and 11:00 let me know if anyone else goes out.  We did also stop at Ririe last week on an afternoon and it was really slow.  We were only out for two hour and didn't have a bite.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:57 PM »
We hit Ririe on Thursday and it was pretty slow.  Fished from 8 am - 2pm and ended with 2 kokes :-\  Didn't land one perch.  Did ice about half a dozen trout, but those are still swimming.

Did you hook any kokes at Palisades?

I fish Ririe pretty often and have a blue, two-man fishtrap guide (not very many of them in Idaho ;)) so if you see me on the ice come say hi.  Often I'll have my yellow lab/hunting and fishing buddy along.

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Hey,  I actually saw you on Ririe, me and my buddy came down about an hour before you left.  We were on our way home from paisades and we stopped to see if we could catch some perch.  I had the big black sled and the red gas auger.  Good to know who you are next time I will stop by.  We didn't catch any kokes on palisades just cuts and browns.  Haven't seen or heard of anyone else getting into them yet.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Oh, I kinda figured that might be you after your previous post.  Yeah, we both hit the slow day on thursday :-\.  Haven't caught many perch, nor seen or heard of anyone catching many perch yet this year on Ririe.  Probably will be out trying again friday and/or sat though.

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I might run out sat. too my nephew wants me to take him so if the weather cooperates we will head out.

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Went to Ririe Today, hooked into a couple of kokes but lost them at the hole.  I did run ito some perch brought home about fifteen. 

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I hit ririe on saturday.  Took a couple holes and moves, but eventually I found the perch and did pretty well.  No kokes this time.  Did hook a big fish suspended about 15 feet down but he broke my 2lb test right at the hole :-[ 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.