Author Topic: First ice in southern Idaho?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Skando

• IceShanty Rookie
First ice in southern Idaho?
« on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Curious as to where is the first safe ice in southern Idaho. I usually wait until January to venture out but this year I'm itching (and I have some extra time this December).

I've always wondered about the Stanley basin lakes, as they are high in elevation and that area oft times has some of the coldest temps in the lower 48. Stanley Lake in particular has lake trout, rainbow and kokanee so it might be worth the effort. And, since there is not a whole lot of snow yet in the high country, this might be the time to attempt this. Has anyone done it before? The forest service claims that ice fishing is open on Stanley and Yellowbelly.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/recreation/fishingsnra.htm

Or, is there a chance that the McCall area lakes will be ready by mid December? Warm Lake is kinda high (5300 feet) and Horsethief as well (5,000 feet). Any other areas?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: First ice in southern Idaho?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Welcome Skando,
                       May I suggest you add a general location to your profile.
  Like maybe a county name or a nearby city.

Sounds as if you're in ice fishing heaven with those high altitude lakes that freeze safely.

The big lake here in Sandpoint is a thousand feet deep in some spots and rarely has a good topping of ice.

Come on neighbors, respond to Skando.

Good luck & stay safe.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:38 PM »
down in our southeast corner we've got about 1 1/2" to 3" not safe enough for me though. :-\

Offline kousui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:42 PM »
no reports from the southwest corner......

Offline CPperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Devils and Deep Creek Reservoirs both have fishable ice.  So does Westin, Chesterfield, and Minidoka (Walcott).  I heard some bays on American are fishable.  Mudlake has good ice also.  info current as of Sunday 12-6

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Magic Resivior has Trout and perch and is closer than Stanley I think . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline CPperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:39 PM »
Ice on Magic is not yet safe, as of Sunday anyhow.  been really cold this week so far though.

Offline Hoss-Daddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:00 PM »
I'm going out to CJ strike tommorow, I'll let everone know if the ice is safe, maybe I should put pontoons on my Frabill speed shack....

Offline idahoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:12 AM »
For what it is worth Lake Lowell has 4 to 5 inches of ice. Has anyone been up to Cascade yet? I hear it has 6 to 8 inches of ice.

Offline Hoss-Daddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Good ice on CJ strike, 3-4 inches on the Bruneau River arm where I fished hopefully it will stay good and cold, as parts of the lake that usually dont freeze all already frozen, the fishing was slow with just a few trout pulled up from Cove Campgound, Cottonwood, and Bruneau arm access.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.