Author Topic: Extensions  (Read 2201 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Extensions
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:05 AM »
who's been out lately and where... do you need an extension yet???! I don't want to find out the hard way tomorrow..!
thanks in advance,

Offline grobber

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Extensions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:39 AM »
seems like a silly question. if you're uncertain then put it on or at least have it with you. it takes 2 mins to put on but longer if you have to drive back home to get it.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:40 PM »
I was out on Blackstrap Feb. 3rd and the slush just touched the gearbox, so I went ahead and put on the extension regardless. Might as well have it on. I won't be out again until this weekend.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Same at diefenbaker

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:51 PM »
 :-\ it probably was kind of a stupid question.. I have to go buy one, but may only get out once more this year, so I didn't want to if I didn't have to..

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:47 PM »
The problem is if you only get that one time in February when it's this cold you need the extension! Lol

Offline drg2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:29 PM »
It is close on LML and Buffalo Pound. I have my 6" extension on now to keep the motor out of the slush.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:43 PM »
Was within 1/2 inch of needing the extension last Thursday at Dief. One time a lot of years ago, I was just short without an extension. Solved issue by shovelling a nearby drifted area. Had an inch or so less ice.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:00 PM »
I used to drill triple overlapping holes to lower the motor for the breakthrough.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:57 AM »
An extension is a necessary lifetime investment in SK. The price divided by the years your auger is in service is pennies. The one time you fill your power head with slush and possibly draw water in the air intake destroying your motor is an expensive mistake.
Evan there are things you can do to get by if you ever forget an extension and they are good to know. Planning to risk a powerhead when everyone is putting them on is a rookie move.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Cabelas has the Eskimo 12” extension on sale, just picked one up. $38. Went to Shannon lake and wakaw yesterday, I wouldn’t been able to fish if I didn’t have the extension on. I’ve never seen ice that thick before. Shannon’s ice only left me a few inches before my head touched the ice. On a side note, never caught any at Shannon, and wakaw only had 3-4” perch to be seen.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:15 AM »
The year that had deep ice 2013 probably, nowhere in Saskatoon has extension. After that there is no problem to find one.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Buried the gearbox at turtle last weekend.  Put the extension on for the rest of the holes after the first one.  I've never regretted the investment. 

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:53 AM »
2013 i was using an 18 inch extension, found ice in one spot that was 44 inches thick. this year was out last weekend, still no need for extension.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2018, 04:26 PM »
North end of Last Mountain is 36 inches. I don't need an extension yet because my new auger has a strikemaster flighting with a 6 inch adaptor pipe welded onto it. On top of that my tanaka Motor has two mounting holes so I just bolt onto the lower one and from the bottom of my gearbox to the chisel point on the auger is 43 inches. If we had another solid month of cold weather I would be making myself an extension.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:01 AM »
extensions are cheap in comparison to the money we spend on augers, flashers, shelters and tackle. my thoughts are, its better to have one and not need it rather than need it and not have it. just my $0.02 though...or...my $38 for the 24" extension for my iON X at Pokeys. :)
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

gman51

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:26 AM »
anyone that has any experience at all in hard water fishing that live in Saskatchewan shouldn't be asking or wondering .. get one and have it with you.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:31 PM »
picked up an 18in ext for eskimo at coop   66 bones

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.