The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Underwater Ice Camera reviews needed  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Mr. Jiggles

• IceShanty Rookie
Underwater Ice Camera reviews needed
« on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm going to be purchasing an underwater camera this year and as the season is rapidly approaching.......I just can't wait.  Can you fine ladies and gentleman please give me some of your personal tips, experiences, and overall ratings of any underwater camera you have used.  Really my biggest concerns are low light or night time use, and particle reflection.  Any help would be great.

Just Jig It
Just Jig It

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Underwater Ice Camera reviews needed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:39 PM »
You should add location to profile .

The search function upper left will get you some past threads and topics about practically every make and model out there.. just type in the brand and model the search function in the middle of page can narrow dow to the most recent threads if you fill in the days 0-365 will get you the most recent .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:13 PM »
I bought an old aqua vu a few years ago.  The only problem I have with the camera is its in the shape of a fish.  When I am out fishing for pike they always bite at the camera and pay attention to it instead of my bait.  If you are going after pike, I would say get one thats not in the shape of a fish. 

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:11 PM »
 My son got me a Marcum Pancam for Christmas last year. I got video at 50 ft without the light on and you could see the perch bite the bait and nose right up to the camera ( it looks like a fish ) so for that part I give it a good rating. It has Wi-Fi so it transmits the picture to a tablet or smart phone and you can be up to 125' away and still see what's happening down there. You just drag your finger across the screen and it turns the camera. You can record stills and video to download later. The only downfall to this is the panner motor went out on the third trip out with it. I just sent in to Marcum and they're putting an updated motor in it . I hope I get it back soon as the ice is building.

Ken.............

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2015, 09:17 AM »
The weakest link in ANY camera purchase is the time it takes to set up, lower, align and then fish using a camera.  It can be a PIA depending on which model you choose...

Aqua Vu Micros-VERY portable, mini cameras that are best for scouting.  Smaller screens, micro cameras but very portable (pocket sized in some cases)

Marcum full size-Marcum makes amazing cameras.  They are bigger and bulkier and more suitable to semi permanent set up (big fish houses)  BUT, if you like to set up the shack as a base camp (or just stay put all day)  then you can set them up and use them quite easily, but HEAVY and BULKY.

Vexilar FS series-Vexilar has some cool stuff and good cameras, again, more full size units, but there fish phone app that allows you to transmit the image to a phone or a tablet is a cool feature.

Personally, camera technology has made leaps and bounds over the last 3-5 years.  AVOID the budget, no name brands...they will only frustrate you to no end with poor displays, camera lenses that gather no light and battery life sucks...

If you like to run and gun, then a camera (other than the Aqua Vu micros) will slow you down.  Unlike a flasher, you have to let all the cable down, align it so it's looking the right direction, then bring it all up again, stow it, when it's time to move.

IMO, cameras are great for when you are sitting tight, really great for checking for fish, weeds and bottom content, and verifying what you are seeing on the sonar.  I use mine mostly for scouting, but there ARE days, when a camera is the only tool that will give you the info you need to hook those fish...

Good luck in your decision, just remember that they are VERY sensitive and fairly fragile items.  YES they have been optimized for use in pretty harsh conditions but lenses crack, displays get snow and ice on them, you have to take care of them, and they will take care of you.

Hope this helps!

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Some good information there. Thanks.

Ken.....

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I have a Marcum Pan Cam.  I like it, I got because I wanted to run it off of an ipad mini.  has a better screen and battery life than my phone.  I like that everything is encompassed in the app.  I can record stills and video, the only thing I wished was that it was a HD camera.  But for the price I paid can't really expect that,.  when the fishing is slow its fun to dink with.  I really enjoyed it  last year, really helped in finding the edge of the weeds to hunt the perch.  I had less success up at george town with it.  water was pretty stained.  was fun though when the salmon would come through....  All in all, I would tell a person to get a flasher first, as it will improve your fishing more than a camera.  That said if you have all that already, a camera is fun to play with.

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Yelloweyes,
Have you used your camera on canyon ferry before?

Offline Mr. Jiggles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
Just Jig It

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:24 PM »
The weakest link in ANY camera purchase is the time it takes to set up, lower, align and then fish using a camera.  It can be a PIA depending on which model you choose...

Aqua Vu Micros-VERY portable, mini cameras that are best for scouting.  Smaller screens, micro cameras but very portable (pocket sized in some cases)

Marcum full size-Marcum makes amazing cameras.  They are bigger and bulkier and more suitable to semi permanent set up (big fish houses)  BUT, if you like to set up the shack as a base camp (or just stay put all day)  then you can set them up and use them quite easily, but HEAVY and BULKY.

Vexilar FS series-Vexilar has some cool stuff and good cameras, again, more full size units, but there fish phone app that allows you to transmit the image to a phone or a tablet is a cool feature.

Personally, camera technology has made leaps and bounds over the last 3-5 years.  AVOID the budget, no name brands...they will only frustrate you to no end with poor displays, camera lenses that gather no light and battery life sucks...

If you like to run and gun, then a camera (other than the Aqua Vu micros) will slow you down.  Unlike a flasher, you have to let all the cable down, align it so it's looking the right direction, then bring it all up again, stow it, when it's time to move.

IMO, cameras are great for when you are sitting tight, really great for checking for fish, weeds and bottom content, and verifying what you are seeing on the sonar.  I use mine mostly for scouting, but there ARE days, when a camera is the only tool that will give you the info you need to hook those fish...

Good luck in your decision, just remember that they are VERY sensitive and fairly fragile items.  YES they have been optimized for use in pretty harsh conditions but lenses crack, displays get snow and ice on them, you have to take care of them, and they will take care of you.

Hope this helps!

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
This may be the best post I have ever read on this site. He is dead on. I own an Lx9 and an Aqua View micro and could not have said it better. Both have their place and are a great choice.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Hey Mike, how's the durability on that micro? Is the cable durable or do you have to be real careful with it?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I would say you have to be pretty careful with it, like opening the cover for example.  It has to be opened carefully because there is a little detent that keeps it from just flipping open.  If you dont lift the cover straight up, and just kind of force it up from the corner, you could crack the hinge.

I did get a loose connection where the cable enters the camera itself and they fixed it no questions asked. They supply as little wire loop that keeps the cable from kinking/pinching and I keep that on at all times now and haven't had any further issues. I have used mine pretty regularly on the ice for 3 seasons and have treated it carefully and am satisfied with the durability but it is a small electronic device being used in a pretty harsh environment.  A little common sense and handle with care.  I have seen some tournament guys just abuse theirs and yeah, they break them but I would expect it from what I have seen.

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I would say you have to be pretty careful with it, like opening the cover for example.  It has to be opened carefully because there is a little detent that keeps it from just flipping open.  If you dont lift the cover straight up, and just kind of force it up from the corner, you could crack the hinge.

I did get a loose connection where the cable enters the camera itself and they fixed it no questions asked. They supply as little wire loop that keeps the cable from kinking/pinching and I keep that on at all times now and haven't had any further issues. I have used mine pretty regularly on the ice for 3 seasons and have treated it carefully and am satisfied with the durability but it is a small electronic device being used in a pretty harsh environment.  A little common sense and handle with care.  I have seen some tournament guys just abuse theirs and yeah, they break them but I would expect it from what I have seen.

Mike

The cable is pretty tough but common sense is key here ...its small and hard to see ...up off the ice and out of they way is key ...the cover same deal lift from the center EZPZ...I use a GoPro Jaws type mount without the flex joint to attach it to my shelter hoop...top of a bucket ...flasher etc .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Thank you guys:)

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I have used my Marcum LX9 for a couple of years and really like it. If I'm going to move around some I just use the sonar, and drop the camera down if I'm going to stay put for a while. The other thing I really like about the LX9 is being able to record the video.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I have a couple friends who have a Vexilar camera and side by side when we fish, they wish they had my Marcum over their Vex. As for the micros, they are good for checking holes quick but not so good if you want to actually use it. I've never been a fan of the pan cam model due to the fact of me dropping my phone down the hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.