Author Topic: 5 lb propane tank inside or outside of shanty  (Read 1606 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
5 lb propane tank inside or outside of shanty
« on: Feb 06, 2021, 01:22 PM »
I have a Buddy heater, a 5lbs tank and hose. Is it ok to keep the tank inside the shanty while in use? Or should I leave it outside and run the hose through the zipper door of my Shappell Bay Runner?
jbird68

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 5 lb propane tank inside or outside of shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2021, 01:24 PM »
I would definitely keep it outside so you can escape a little easier if you ever have a broken hose that catches fire.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2021, 02:57 PM »
What Kevin23 says.  I have small shack I pull around as a portable that has a Big Buddy heater connected to a 20# tank.  A couple of weeks ago I shut the heater off, but left the gas valve on when I came in for lunch, when I went back out I could smell propane and heard a hissing sound, the line had sprung a substantial leak.  Moral of the story is that from now on I would be smart to also shut the tank off (even for a short period of time) and leave as much hose outside the shack as possible, having it inside leaves more risk of bad consequences. I have since replaced the Buddy heater hose with a better braided one.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Me personally I rather have the tank inside.  It's a portable shack.  Having the tank just outside the door is still very easy access.

There was one time I had a leak from the connection on the buddy heater. The pilot light came on like normal and the switch over to ignite started a bit weird this time.  If was flickering a lot more, then poof flames from behind the heater.  If the tank was outside, I would not have been able to shut it down before some more flames.  Probably would've burn the shelter.  I did not ensure the connection was sealed and aligned properly.  I've had more problems with threading one# tanks, but that's all user error and not paying attention to details with alignment of everything.  Always put care and finesse into the connections.  I always shut the tank valve when not in use and it's become a common practice for me.

I suppose if I needed the space the tank is the first thing that goes outside right by the door zipper.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I'm still undecided.  I keep my 5# tank in an old milk crate.  It will fit under the bench seat of my Bay Runner.  But I can also just set the crate outside the shanty if needed. I've just been using the 1# cylinders this year as the temps have only been in the 20's. But it's supposed to be a high of 8 tomorrow and the 5# will last longer and I can put the buddy on high if  the low isn't cutting it.
jbird68

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2021, 10:07 PM »
this is what I did with my 5LB tank. I bought the parts and made the adapter so I didn't have to use the 1lb tanks any more with my little buddy heater. this fits nicely inside a 5 gallon pail when not being used. I use this with my one man houses and when I use my Nanook XL I use my other 5lb tank hooked to one of the 5 foot hoses and my regular buddy heater inside the house. never had issues. if you are worried you can always check the fittings to make sure they are tight and not leaking.

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Hi,
Would you list the parts/sizes for the li buddy heater mod on the 5 lb tank.
Thak you
John
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:31 PM »
so this is what you could use to make the adapter. put Teflon tape on the joints to help prevent possible leaks :

this is a little different then the one I used when I made mine (mine didn't have the hand wheel) :

https://www.menards.com/main/storeitem.html?iid=1444441193130

next part is the elbow : 

https://www.menards.com/main/storeitem.html?iid=1444442659556

then the 6 inch Brass Nipple :

https://www.menards.com/main/storeitem.html?iid=1444442657926

And Finally the male throw away cylinder end fitting :

https://www.menards.com/main/storeitem.html?iid=1444441208376

here is the Teflon Tape :

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/pipe-sealants-caulk-putty-lubricants/harvey-trade-teflon-pipe-thread-tape/017072-100/p-1563172111354-c-8531.htm?tid=3695113552030127650&ipos=1
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Thanks for the parts list.
John
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.