Author Topic: Using rechargable AA batteries for ice fishing power  (Read 1771 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Using rechargable AA batteries for ice fishing power
« on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:53 AM »
There have been a lot of options put forward to replace the SLA batteries we all lug around on the ice, and it makes sense- technology has provided many better solutions in the last few years. One I thought of yesterday was rechargeable AA batteries. I converted an old LCD summer rig to use as. a spare flasher to take guests with a battery box I bought off EBAY and 8 energizers, but what about the rechargeable you can buy now. I am almost done buying throwaway batteries- just got another 24 rechargeable  AAs from Amazon for $28. There is a nice box you can buy for $4, and you would have a 2.9 AH battery pack for $13. Has anyone tried this? Any reason it would not work? I am not sure what the current capacity would be, but flashers are not much current. I have run my Marcum Showdown off 6 of these batteries for years.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Using rechargable AA batteries for ice fishing power
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:53 AM »
Rechargeable AA are not 1.5v like normal alkaline/hd batteries, they are 1.2V.

6 normal AA are 9V, 6 rechargeable are just over 7V. You'll need to find a rig to somehow hold 10 of them together if you want actual 12V. But a 12 AA try will be 14.4V and will work fine on almost all flashers/lcd units.

Your 8 pack holder will be 9.6V which will not turn on most flashers.

Also, you are only going to get about 60% charge out of them before they give up the beans, maybe less in the cold. Most AA rechargeable are 2000mah (2ah) so you'll essentially have a labeled 2ah battery when done.. but really more like a 1-1.2ah battery for use.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:11 PM »
Rechargeable AA are not 1.5v like normal alkaline/hd batteries, they are 1.2V.

6 normal AA are 9V, 6 rechargeable are just over 7V. You'll need to find a rig to somehow hold 10 of them together if you want actual 12V. But a 12 AA try will be 14.4V and will work fine on almost all flashers/lcd units.

Your 8 pack holder will be 9.6V which will not turn on most flashers.

Also, you are only going to get about 60% charge out of them before they give up the beans, maybe less in the cold. Most AA rechargeable are 2000mah (2ah) so you'll essentially have a labeled 2ah battery when done.. but really more like a 1-1.2ah battery for use.

Very true .     1.20-1.25 volts. rechargeable nicads

FyI
They make a smaller sla than the 7ah. 12v.          like 4.5 ah.  12v     get em on the bay for 15 bux

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:12 PM »
There have been a lot of options put forward to replace the SLA batteries we all lug around on the ice, and it makes sense- technology has provided many better solutions in the last few years. One I thought of yesterday was rechargeable AA batteries. I converted an old LCD summer rig to use as. a spare flasher to take guests with a battery box I bought off EBAY and 8 energizers, but what about the rechargeable you can buy now. I am almost done buying throwaway batteries- just got another 24 rechargeable  AAs from Amazon for $28. There is a nice box you can buy for $4, and you would have a 2.9 AH battery pack for $13. Has anyone tried this? Any reason it would not work? I am not sure what the current capacity would be, but flashers are not much current. I have run my Marcum Showdown off 6 of these batteries for years.

If you are looking for something on the cheap, rechargeable, and lightweight.. just rig up a cordless drill battery to power it. I'm assuming everyone has a cordless drill of some type. Check out my "powering a flasher with ryobi battery" thread in the electronics section, you can do the exact same thing with any drill battery. You can get the adapters for any battery on ebay. If its 12V you are already good to go, if its 18-20v you can step it down with the converter I show for 6 bucks. Not a single complaint with my setup so far, I absolutely love it. Total cost for my ryobi one was $18. Total cost for a dewalt one I built for a buddy was $26.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Kevin23: You can buy a 10 AA battery holder, but maybe a better starting point would be the 18650 battery. That is what they use in tool battery packs and even inside the lithium batteries designed to replace 12V SLAs. I think the 18V tool batteries use 5 in series. You can get a holder for 4 of them, which would be 15-16 volts at the start, and 12V at the end. Looks like you can get those on Amazon for about $2, so if you can get the case for 3 bucks, it would be even cheaper. The tool batteries end up being 2 or 2.5 AH with 1 bank of these cells, so you would end up with about the same AH, just at a lower voltage, which is closer to the design center of 12V electronics.
If you were starting from scratch, and needed to buy something, this seems like it could be a cheap, light option if there are no hidden technical issues.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Kevin23: You can buy a 10 AA battery holder, but maybe a better starting point would be the 18650 battery. That is what they use in tool battery packs and even inside the lithium batteries designed to replace 12V SLAs. I think the 18V tool batteries use 5 in series. You can get a holder for 4 of them, which would be 15-16 volts at the start, and 12V at the end. Looks like you can get those on Amazon for about $2, so if you can get the case for 3 bucks, it would be even cheaper. The tool batteries end up being 2 or 2.5 AH with 1 bank of these cells, so you would end up with about the same AH, just at a lower voltage, which is closer to the design center of 12V electronics.
If you were starting from scratch, and needed to buy something, this seems like it could be a cheap, light option if there are no hidden technical issues.

Dont forget you also need a micro controller and a way to balance charge your newly made battery pack of 18650s. You cant just hook 4 of them up together and go, well you can but that is very dangerous and it wont last long. Plus you will need to fork up for some good ones, samsung are arguably the best.. you definitely dont want to just buy the cheapest 4 you can find. Samsungs will be about $5 each and are what are inside almost all name brand drill batteries.

I'm speaking from experience with AA rechargeable batteries in the cold (coyote caller and lights), you will be very lucky to power a traditional flasher or newer lcd unit with 10-12 of them for more than 2 maybe 3 hours. They just dont work in the cold, and the ones you are talking about buying are guaranteed to be incorrect mah rating. They are like 18650s where you need to buy the good name brand ones or you are just getting the cheapest ones they could rebrand in china. They'll say 2000mah, 2500mah, etc but be the cheapest weakest ones on the market... its one of the biggest scams in batteries.

Most guys who would use them in coyote callers in the winter would take 3 or 4 battery packs, where you would only need one if you used AA alkaline batts.. but its a way to save money in the long run.. as long as you dont mind 1/4 the runtime and charging a bunch of batteries overnight.

Its good to think outside the box though. It's just that this mouse trap has already been invented and re-invented.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I have no trouble with my Marcum Showdown, but I assume the current draw is very low. I get 2.5 days of fishing on 6 AAs. For charging, I assume you can remove them and charge individually in a charger. I still plan to try AAs in the units I have, just as an experiment. Don't really need it, curiosity just has me now.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Yup.  the Marcum Showdown is a digital sonar    not really a typical flasher

No spinning motors

If it uses 6aa that’s 9 volts.   I assume you meant 8 AA?

Digital logic is easy on the current draw.   the lcd screen brightness is what will suck your amps

Hence you may be able to get by   

Cheap enuf. to give em a try. good luck

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:11 PM »
I just downloaded a mnanual for showdown 5.6 (you didnt say which you had) and it says peak draw 400ma. Maybe that will help with the math.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:34 PM »
Yup.  the Marcum Showdown is a digital sonar    not really a typical flasher

No spinning motors

If it uses 6aa that’s 9 volts.   I assume you meant 8 AA?

Digital logic is easy on the current draw.   the lcd screen brightness is what will suck your amps

Hence you may be able to get by   

Cheap enuf. to give em a try. good luck

The Marcum takes 6 AA batteries. That would be just over 9V if they were alkaline, but I use 1.2V rechargeables, so I guess it is happy with less. I don't use the backlight, nor the heater for extreme cold weather performance of the LCD display. The batteries claim 1900MAH at 1.2V, and I get around 20 hours of life, so my real world power draw must be something on the order of 6X1.9X1.2/20 or .68W. The giant SLA that comes with the soft case must last for weeks- It has like 84 W*H

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Dont forget you also need a micro controller and a way to balance charge your newly made battery pack of 18650s. You cant just hook 4 of them up together and go, well you can but that is very dangerous and it wont last long. Plus you will need to fork up for some good ones, samsung are arguably the best.. you definitely dont want to just buy the cheapest 4 you can find. Samsungs will be about $5 each and are what are inside almost all name brand drill batteries.

I'm speaking from experience with AA rechargeable batteries in the cold (coyote caller and lights), you will be very lucky to power a traditional flasher or newer lcd unit with 10-12 of them for more than 2 maybe 3 hours. They just dont work in the cold, and the ones you are talking about buying are guaranteed to be incorrect mah rating. They are like 18650s where you need to buy the good name brand ones or you are just getting the cheapest ones they could rebrand in china. They'll say 2000mah, 2500mah, etc but be the cheapest weakest ones on the market... its one of the biggest scams in batteries.

Most guys who would use them in coyote callers in the winter would take 3 or 4 battery packs, where you would only need one if you used AA alkaline batts.. but its a way to save money in the long run.. as long as you dont mind 1/4 the runtime and charging a bunch of batteries overnight.

Its good to think outside the box though. It's just that this mouse trap has already been invented and re-invented.

Just to enforce what you are saying  here, I tried rechargeable AA in my tip up sensors last season... they did all kinds of weird things, false signals etc. I went back to good old Alkaline batteries and they solved all the mysterious issues.. I believe it was a combination of the lesser voltage and inability to work in the cold..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:05 PM »
Just to enforce what you are saying  here, I tried rechargeable AA in my tip up sensors last season... they did all kinds of weird things, false signals etc. I went back to good old Alkaline batteries and they solved all the mysterious issues.. I believe it was a combination of the lesser voltage and inability to work in the cold..
I have noticed rechargable AA/AAA perform very poorly in the cold with high drain devices, too. I tried using them my my DSLR camera for astrophotography in the winter several years ago, and the lifespan was horrible. They lasted maybe 10 minutes of shooting video on a charge. For real cold temps, I always use the Energizer Lithiums now.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:29 PM »
Check out Amazon, they have rechargeable lithium AA batteries that are 1.5v.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.