Author Topic: Another Night Crappie Question  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Lazy K

• IceShanty Rookie
Another Night Crappie Question
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:54 PM »
In the past we fished in the open with lanterns and rods with fixed float type bobbers and minnows.  But our only hook ups were when you let the fish run the bobber a foot or so below the water before you set the hook.  But now I'd like to fish out of the shanty with a spinning rod.  So I'm wondering if my best bet is using a slip bobber since it won't likely freeze up or do you all do something different?  Does anyone else let the crappie run a little?  Does anyone have success just using a spring bobber and setting hook immediately?  Does that only work with wax worms, etc.?  I guess I still like the idea of using live minnows but am interested in new techniques. 

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another Night Crappie Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:59 PM »
I'm in the 100% plastics group with a spring bobber and many of the presentations are much smaller than a live minnow can be. Line or bobber twitches and the hook is set, it's in their mouth. In my minnow days we did let them run a bit, wasn't sure where the hook was so we waited. If it isn't inhaled possibly only the head or tail is in the mouth, set the hook and you missed. Smaller plastics are more of a munchie than a meal and is "USUALLY" inhaled. Not saying smaller is the only answer, if they're on a major feed I'm not sure you can put anything to big down there. But if the bite is light or slow, and they are there, try small

Offline Lazy K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Thanks Swift.  I forgot to add that I just purchased my first flasher so rather than sit there with a minnow 3 or 5 feet off the bottom all night and wondering where the crappie are, I should now be able to put the bait on the fish wherever they are in the column.  I just didn't see a way to do that with a spinning rod and a live minnow without being able to instantly set hooks.  I've become a big fan of the micro plastics the last couple years and will definitely be giving that a try! 

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Use Tip Downs, it gives them about 18" to 2 feet of slack line.  You can even put the small lights on the tip Downs that activate when they tip.

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:55 PM »
For me swift is right.  jigging rod with a spring bobber is the way to go.  Also I like a glo jig at night seems to intice them.  A flasher will show you what presentation they want when jigging as well.  good luck!

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Instantly set the hook if you want more fish.hold bait above them,as they get close make them chase up a couple feet and stop and fish on.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Very excellent advice all . I use red glow tungsten jigs and red glow maki plastics tipped with one wax worm . It seems to fill a bucket  pretty  fast for me  :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup:
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.