Author Topic: Crappies & Green Fish Lights  (Read 8419 times)

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crappies & Green Fish Lights
« on: Jan 19, 2003, 10:10 AM »
Any fishermen out there use the green fish lights that attract baitfish and zooplankton? i am thinking about picking one up, but i'd like to hear everyone's opinion of them and how they work or how they are rigged (how deep to put them under the ice or off the bottom). i've only heard of a few people using them, but never hear how they do. i guess if they caught crappies like mad everyone would have one. so, if anyone is in any way familiar with the green light, let me know, and let everyone else know as well.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
Re: Crappies & Green Fish Lights
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2003, 12:22 PM »
i havent heard of them kind but those flurocarbon lights or whatever they are called attact fish.... most lights will do the trick all u have to do is wait the light will attract minnowws and the fish will follow

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2003, 06:45 AM »
I've fished with the float lites in the summer and they did real well. Never used them ice fishing but I know up on the flowage they set there lanturns up on the ice for Crappies. I asked what they were up to because they were shoveling the snow down to the ice then setting there lanturns up. Was told they use this the same as the float lites. I know some guy swear by it. Would be interested how it works for you. :'(

biggjimm1

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2003, 07:42 AM »
I've never tried green, but I have a white light that I use in the spring. It is a 12v light that you submerge in the water. You can put it to whatever depth you want, down to I think 30'. You know for some reason I never thought about using it through the ice but I will definately give it a try. It seems to work in the spring, It really attracts the baitfish. Good fishing and stay safe   Biggjimm

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Ive been playing with one this year, I have had luck but it takes some time for the fish to come in. Ive been having better luck fishing on the outskirts of the light 10 ft down .
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2022, 10:08 PM »
I have a couple Hydro Glows that I use mainly for jigging squid both off a pier and boat. The small HG250 1,000lm light mainly in shallow water around the pier approx 10-25’ deep and the larger HG30 3600lm off the boat. I use the HG250 ice fishing in up to 40’ water depth for crappies at night and had pretty good luck suspended 5-15’ deep and jigging at or outside the fringe of visible light. Pretty much the same tactic on local tidal coves for striped bass through ice works well, much better than no lights or a lamp above the ice when the bass are around. For batteries I just use small 12v SLA 9 or 12ah for the smaller light and they work fine. The HG30 runs off the boats house batteries.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2022, 08:54 PM »
I’ve used green lights in the past, my best success with it has been to use it as a tool to hold fish in the area once I’d found them, basically by using the light to hold the cloud of plankton or school of minnows that the crappie are hunting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.