Author Topic: Trophy Strike Auger  (Read 1914 times)

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trophy Strike Auger
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Anyone have any experience with them.  Found a deal on the 120V 8in and looking for some feedback to see if it is something I need to jump on or let pass on by.  U Tube video shows it out performing competitor X (ION) for speed and number of holes in 20 in of ice.  Not to sure about the 120V.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Trophy Strike Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Not hard to out perform an ion.  I have not seen a battery powered auger worth a crap that can beat a Milwaukee drill + good auger (Lazer, nils, kdrill) setup.  I have seen ions and strikemaster and they can't compare.  Only thing comparable speed wise was the ice gator head.  I have one of the originals that still works, but it is heavy and doesn't last as long as my Milwaukee drill, so it stays at home.  Haven't seen the trophy in action, but I would bet a Milwaukee would beat it.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:50 AM »
I also have the 28 volt Milwaukee. I always take a spare battery but have never had to change it out yet. Just keep it warm and you are good to go.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have a Rockwell 20V Li high torque brushless that I use when I don't want to take my gas auger now.  The issue I have been having is the torque is too good and just about spins it out of my hands drilling holes even in 4" of ice.  Now I do have a 7" bit on it but for the fishing I do I have to have the bigger size and the gas I use 8 and 10".  Well I did a little more looking and research, I am not sure how they are doing it but it is 120V battery.  So retail is 500-600 depending on the store and I found one on sale for 249, in the box never opened.  I think I have to give it a try at that bargain price.  They where developed for a group out in the Rockies and I know they get a lot of ice out there so hopefully it will be worth it.  I will do a review on it after I give it a work out.

Offline mr.pike12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Buy the clam plate, won’t break your wrists with brushless drill. Very light weight.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:07 PM »
I won't compare the drills vs electric augers.  I have read several negative reviews of the Trophy Strike. Both Ion and Strikemaster have received consistently positive reviews.

Offline awade84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:15 PM »
I have the clam plate and it is great.  you dont have the wrist breaking torque like you do just holding on to the drill.  got it on sale a couple years ago for $40.  I use a ridgid 20 volt brushless hammer drill (turn the hammer part off when drilling holes in the ice).  Cuts like butter and lasts multiple trips without a charge on the 4ah battery.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:03 PM »
I also have the 28 volt Milwaukee. I always take a spare battery but have never had to change it out yet. Just keep it warm and you are good to go.
.     You don’t have to keep that warm, it will work in the cold !!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:22 PM »
.     You don’t have to keep that warm, it will work in the cold !!
It will discharge quicker.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:38 PM »
.         Been out all day, I must be lucky , so many having problems with these, I refuse to bring my wife’s purse and put a handwarmer in it !!

Offline HuntinandFishing365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:54 PM »
I use a DEWALT 20vlt and I also carry an extra battery just in case. But it seems as long as my blades are sharp the battery will last longer outside than me. This is from the DEWALT manufacturer:

If the batteries are too hot (105°F or higher) or too cold (below 40°F), the batteries will not take a full charge. Attempting to charge batteries outside the 40°F-105°F range can result in a permanent loss of run-time. When batteries are being charged and discharged, a chemical reaction is taking place, and if it is too hot or cold the chemical reaction is disturbed causing a loss of run-time.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:20 AM »
.         Been out all day, I must be lucky , so many having problems with these, I refuse to bring my wife’s purse and put a handwarmer in it !!
I dont do all that. I just keep it wrapped in a hat inside a bucket. Maybe the one I had discharging quickly was a faulty battery. Since then I have bought another one. Unfortunately I haven't got to put to the test yet. SOON I HOPE.... Has anyone else noticed that by keeping the battery outside all day on the drill cause the battery to drain????? maybe just me, I could be wrong...

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Milwuakee website says fuel batteries perform to zero degrees without loss of power. This is why I purchased one. I've been out all day and let it sit on ice with no issues.

I know we are off topic. I haven't personally used the trophy but heard mixed reviews. Heard it punched quickly Ion batteries lasted longer. I know one thing. It cant frame a basement and my milwuakee helped me with that yesterday 😀
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I have fished from 7 am till 3 pm one day, temp was -8 when I went out, and warmed up to 0 when I left ice, another guy had a dewalt out fishing same place, his drill died, don’t know his battery conditions or age , died around 9 am. We fished all day and left the drill with clam plate on ice and my drill didn’t miss a beat. That’s why I bought a Milwaukee , some rave about the lsa which I’m sure is good, but I have never had a issue with drill or batteries in over 4 yrs. I don’t want to have to run mine in and have them checked out when using my Milwaukee   Others might disagree but I won’t be without mine !!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Yep...Cold does not affect my Milwaukee batteries either.  I drill 20 or 30 holes in an area and then put the drill and auger across my sled while I fish.  If I need to move the batteries are still fine after sitting in the wind and cold (down to 0 degrees F) for hours.  I leave my spare in my sled (only had to use it once after 100 holes drilling for 4 guys and moving a lot) and it always comes home with 4 full bars.  Let them come to room temp and put on the charger and it turns green nearly instantly.  No need to keep them warm, they are not a living creature and are made to work in harsh conditions from the dead of winter to heat of summer.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Lots of interesting info on different types of augers, I think I'll just stick with my much less expensive, much lighter in weight, never has to be charged or fuel added and more then adequate for the amount of ice we get in this area. I enjoy the exercise. 
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Well I always have to try new things and have several drill sets I use in the barn and around the house so those wont change, with the Rockwell set being an awesome set.  Anyway I bought it and used it a few times this weekend, I will say it cuts a nice hole in the ice.  Picked it up and found the box included an extension and insulated battery case.  Charged quickly and was ready to go, battery is where most of the weight is but lighter than my gas auger overall I think.  Took it out on 5-6" of ice, pulled the trigger and it went through very quick throwing chips clear of the hole and through in a few turns.  Looked down and the hole was clear, didn't use the back flush or have to scoop it.  Popped several holes both trips out and no issues.  Also noticed it has a 5 year warranty in the unit with a 1 year on the battery.  It can be upgraded to a 10" bit also which will come in handy for lake trout fishing.  So far I like the purchase and looks like parts are available to get the 10" bit, spare blade, and a spare battery if I want to.  Only thing I need to get used to is the delayed start of these electrics.  I will be using it a lot with my gas as a back up and will report back as the ice grows over the next few weeks.  I see some ice building temps in the near future.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Lots of interesting info on different types of augers, I think I'll just stick with my much less expensive, much lighter in weight, never has to be charged or fuel added and more then adequate for the amount of ice we get in this area. I enjoy the exercise.

Next time a 10 color lead needs a lure change we want to hear how you beat everyone else to the rod trying to get some exercise - LOL

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I think I can still handle it, look forward to running long lines every season.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.