Author Topic: ice, ice, baby  (Read 2179 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ice, ice, baby
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:18 PM »
It is finally cold enough to start making ice. Now if only the winds would lie down. It is always something....

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice, ice, baby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:08 PM »
I am right there with you abishop. This winter continues to be pure torture for us ice fisherman.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Still not as cold as normal for this time of year.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Still not as cold as normal for this time of year.
Nope. And now the wind has died down and let everything lock up....just in time for the snow.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Nope. And now the wind has died down and let everything lock up....just in time for the snow.

Not necessarily bad right? I mean the weight of the snow can push the thin ice down, cause water to come up and refreeze the snow, making snow ice which can add some thickness. Not as strong as clear ice but better than nothin'. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:18 PM »
From Chicago area. No ice. Heading to Wisconsin for four days of ice fishing. 12 inches of ice there. I can't wait.

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I am looking forward to this late arrival ice. If the forecasts hold true, we will be fishing into March. We have not had that in Indiana for a few years. So if it does happen, let's just enjoy the season and those big February perch.  ;D

Offline HuntinandFishing365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Four years ago I started ice fishing and remember being on the ice into April and having to get a new fishing license bc the last one expired. My Last day on the ice it was around 60 degrees and sunny, Walking in 4-5 in of slush on top of 6+inches of decent ice. I was wearing shorts, rubber boots, and a T shirt! Got my limit of crappie and a freaking sunburn! I will never forget that. But it just seems like the last couple years we can hardly even get a few weeks of 6+ inches of ice let alone a few months!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:07 PM »
This layer of snow on skimmed lakes prob isnt helping us much
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:32 PM »
I agree with Taxi1..  Snow ice is better than no ice at all.  Just got to use your head and spud.  Somebody is going to go in because everyone is to excited to get out there.

We don't have any thin ice around here too hold this snow which is good right now.  At least we will have ice making temps at the end of the week and into next.  I predicted Jan 22.  I don't think I'm going to miss it by much around my area.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:25 PM »
Almost 5 inches here in Wheatfield. I hope the lakes haven't put any ice on yet cause this will pull up the blanket. Don't know the conditions on the ice making around here cause I haven't been out anywhere to notice if they have started to freeze yet. This snow isn't helping for sure unless there isn't any ice as of yet.... The cold temps are on their way.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Yes colder now for the next several days with an arctic blast by next weekend and another snow producer.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:44 AM »
There should be good ice sometime around the 25th of this month in NW Indiana, it all depends on how much more snow we see. Don't rush, it will happen and hopefully last longer then it has the past few winters.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:07 PM »
How you doin' Minnow Keith? Long time, no talk. And as I remember, there are 2 of you. ha   take care, Keith.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:26 PM »
How you doin' Minnow Keith? Long time, no talk. And as I remember, there are 2 of you. ha   take care, Keith.
Or is it bluegill bob???

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:09 PM »
There should be good ice sometime around the 25th of this month in NW Indiana, it all depends on how much more snow we see. Don't rush, it will happen and hopefully last longer then it has the past few winters.

My wife is from Hammond/Whiting.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Looking to head out this weekend!
Got one goin'!

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Apricot and abishop, hope all is well. Yes it's me Bluegillbill, not bob, or Keith. Been from California to Florida fishing and spending time with family. Trying to get back into ice fishing before heading to southern Illinois crappie fishing in February and then gill fishing in March and early April. Looks like old man winter will be here towards the end of this week and hoping to hit the Slough around the 25th. Good luck to all who get  out before then and be safe.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.