The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 6 fisherman went through the ice champlain  (Read 2782 times)

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 6 fisherman went through the ice champlain
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Glad to hear that everyone is alright

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:11 AM »

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:27 AM »
I guess the fishing is over down there !

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2015, 05:59 AM »
The southern end of Champlain is still fishable, but it is time to leave the vehicles on shore.  Conditions are changing fast.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Gotta love all of the commenters on the wcax post.  As if all ice in the state is unsafe now...  I barely made it through the ice with my auger yesterday where I was fishing, still plenty of ice.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:49 AM »
 ??? ::)  I refer you all to last weeks post by wmhunts.   Some members thought it an unnecessary warning. 

Dick

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Wow, sounds like one of the guys broke through on foot, fixing to rescue the others.
I wonder why the ice would be thin down there.  I guess the lake is so narrow that it's basically a river at that point?  Stronger current?
I was a bit north of there on Friday, alone, looking for the "other" whites - didn't find them.  I was considering walking across the lake to the NY side, to a spot I thought would hold them for sure.  I was nervous walking alone (wearing a float suit and ice picks), but I was going to do it until the brutal wind changed my mind.  I think my long walks on the ice are over for the year.  I need a spud bar, asap.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I was north of Benson off Lapham Bay Saturday walking out late afternoon towards the channel through 9:30 PM.  There was about 16" of ice and it was groaning when we head a very loud cracking sound but not thinking much of it until on the way in spotting water pooling up neared shore in the moonlight.  I pulled out the headlamp and took a detour to avoid any unnecessary risk. 

Earlier in the day there were a couple others out with there four wheelers and even a group of 4 from Long Island being guided.  The fishing was OK - mostly panfish and bass, even a pickerel and catfish too!

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 AM »
     You have to know where your going.Where they went through the lake is only 150 yds wide.The current is horrible this time of year.That's why I do not go there.I have seen 15 inches go in a half of day there.I use 3/8 oz sinkers and I've seen in the latter of February where the line is straight under the Ice.As you know Champlain naturally flows North but i have seen where a south current is sometimes present.It depends on what the locks are doing in Whitehall i guess.It usually has a current from like 9 am to noon or 1 then it will stop.Sometimes it will be done for the day other times it might start back for an hr or so.BUT, in the spring fishing it is real dangerous.If you go a mile up the lake you will have good fishing for a while but beware of the River that flows in from Stoney Point because that can cause a problem.From there up to Plunder Bay (aka:Whites Bay)the lake widens up and is usually pretty good.Be Safe. Happy Fishing. 

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Yup the conditions are changing fast. 

Fished the Gut yesterday.  Ice was about 16-18"......two weeks ago it was 27". 

With the sun out longer the water below the ice is warming fast and therefore melting faster from the bottom than from the top.

Be safe everyone!

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:40 PM »
Thousands in machines being used to ice fish.  No mention of any kind about using 5 dollar ice picks to pull yourself out of the drink.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:45 PM »
wow close to home i know charley and henry and them. glad there safe. thanks for the article from the rutland herald.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Luckily there is still enough ice in the islands. I'd like to get out at least one more time.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Just a thought....

A few years back, I think it was WCAX, had a story about ice safety, going through the ice, special tools needed when you're out there in case you break through the ice, etc....

They had, what looked like hand held ice picks, tied together with maybe 12"-16" of rope that you carried and/or attached around your neck. If you fell through the ice and into the water, you could grab the ice picks and jab them into what ice was there if it was sturdy enough to help hold you.

They also mentioned carrying a whistle and blow it to get someones attention if you did fall through the ice.

I sent WCAX a suggestion in regards to getting the ice picks and the whistle built all on one device, if at all possible. WCAX said they forwarded my suggestion to whomever was involved in the show that day, but I don't know if they ever changed the ice picks to have a built in whistle or not.

I just wonder how feasible it is to use ice picks to try and save yourself when breaking through the ice and in addition, trying to blow on a whistle, if your hands are busy holding the ice picks.

It would make more sense to me that if they could incorporate the whistle into the ice picks, then both hands could still have a grip onto the ice picks with hopefully one jabbed into the solid ice and use the other pick to blow through to use the whistle part to get somebody's attention.

I don't know about any of you, but if I had the ice picks that they were showing that day and had to use them to try and save myself by jabbing them into some solid ice, I don't think I would want to let go of one to then fumble around trying to find the whistle that was around my neck, or attached to an upper pocket somewhere.

Let's just say that you had one of those ice picks jabbed into some ice and felt comfortable enough to release the other pick or needed to find your whistle to blow into to get someone's attention.
Then while your either: fumbling around trying to find the whistle or you actually have the whistle in hand and are blowing on it, the pick that is in the ice breaks through the ice......

That's not a very safe scenario in my eyes.

Just a thought......

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I use ice awls quite frequently. More than I like  ::)
So, the part for using a whistle while trying to climb out, probably not the best. Ideally you want your picks to be facing away from you at about  45* angle so as to get the best grip to help you get outta the water.
Now....... cold water makes you pretty tired (you will be in 10 minutes or less, body type dependent), so lets say you either cant get out, or just barely got out. That's the best time to use it.
The idea of having two life saving tools consolidated sounds useful, but instruction could prevent disaster.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2015, 10:33 PM »
I got a set of these for members of my ice fishing team.

They include both the claws and whistle sold by the Nordic Skater in Norwich VT. 

Fortunately I haven't gotten a chance to try them out.

I also keep a life jacket, throw rope and ice spud in the car always to have them nearby for late season and or ready to help someone out if needed.

http://www.nordicskater.com/safety.html

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:47 PM »
I got a set of these for members of my ice fishing team.

They include both the claws and whistle sold by the Nordic Skater in Norwich VT. 

Fortunately I haven't gotten a chance to try them out.

I also keep a life jacket, throw rope and ice spud in the car always to have them nearby for late season and or ready to help someone out if needed.

http://www.nordicskater.com/safety.html

I see the Elite Ice Claws list in their description that they have a whistle and a compass included.
I wonder if the whistle is actually a part of the ice claws, the part that you grasp in your hand? Or is the whistle attached somewhere else on that nylon strap?
Here's a snippet from that Web site with part of the description explained:

Elite Ice Claws are a pair of plastic grips with hardened stainless steel spikes protruding from one end. They're made of heavy-duty plastic and they have an attached compass and whistle for emergency use.

You can't tell from the picture they show but if the whistle is part of the grip, I think they did the right thing by making them that way.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Can't find any instance where ice picks saved a mans life. 

Don't think for a minute those twenty dollar nails will save your life....half the fisherman I know cannot do a single pull-up let alone drag themselves of a freezing hole.   With 30 lbs of wet clothes and pac boots

Save your twenty bucks.......buy a spud.  Fish witha friend.  Don't chance questionable ice. Keep a rope with a premade large loop in both ends  .

Ropes, ladders, sleds...something for the victim to hold on to........the rescuers willneedto to do the pulling

Keep a whistle to signal for other fisherman to come help

6 feet or 60 feet deep   Same game. 

Be safe.   

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Can't find any instance where ice picks saved a mans life. 

Don't think for a minute those twenty dollar nails will save your life....half the fisherman I know cannot do a single pull-up let alone drag themselves of a freezing hole.   With 30 lbs of wet clothes and pac boots

Save your twenty bucks.......buy a spud.  Fish witha friend.  Don't chance questionable ice. Keep a rope with a premade large loop in both ends  .

Ropes, ladders, sleds...something for the victim to hold on to........the rescuers willneedto to do the pulling

Keep a whistle to signal for other fisherman to come help

6 feet or 60 feet deep   Same game. 

Be safe.

In that scenario picks would at least help you hold on the ice while you wait for help. Early and late ice i have a spud, picks, a throw buoy, and wear striker floatation bibs.  I'm also 80 pounds heavier than anyone i fish with...

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:36 PM »
2 ladies fell through the ice today in ticonderoga , i have just heard they seem to be okay.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Ice is changing fast. Today was our last day. Be safe everyone.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Today was mine too....I think!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Yeah, Today was probably the last day for my Dad and I as well, but a beautiful day to end the ice season on at that.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2015, 05:59 AM »
I think that's it for me, too.  Getting off the ice yesterday was pretty sketchy.  I MIGHT hit a super shallow spot after work today to try for one last ice crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.