Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1607505 times)

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #13350 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Morning all,

MrC.....glad to hear the gentleman wasn't seriously injured by the bear  :o  hope your area doesn't get too much rain/wind/damage from Florence  :-\

Eddie.....sounds like everyone set their differences aside & are playing nice again  :thumbsup:  how much longer to go on the wall  ???

WS.....holding my breath here waiting to hear how the hunt went yesterday  :pinch: :woot:  sure hope Mr Leary's sweet tooth got the better of him  ;)

H2L....we hit Delta yesterday same spot as last week, SLOW going to say the least  :(  picked up 3 crappie no other hits, the rain turned the lake extremely dirty  >:(  hope you have better luck  :)

IFF.....how's MrsIFF doing  ???  hope the surgery was successful

The Erie trip looks to be a go  :thumbsup: :clap:  heading west later today, fishing tomorrow  :flex:  hope to have a couple pics & maybe a story or two to share  ;)2

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13351 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Another 50* wake up. Upper 70's guessed for the next few days. Drug and bread run to the other place today. We will stop for groceries on the way home. I got the desk set up last night. All it is was the top set on top of two file cabinets so no big deal. Now to figure out what to do with the small tv that had been on a stand.

Eddie Gas stayed in the mid 2.60's over Labor Day weekend instead of the holiday spike. The day after it spiked to $2.99. I just checked to see about gas for the trip today. It is still around $2.90 locally but the normal low priced town on the way over is down to $2.60. Where to gas up is a no brainer.

Like most people I remember what I was doing on 9-11. I also remember what I was doing when the report of JFK being shot came on the radio. I was working in a grocery store. We kept on working but the boss turned the radio up that was always on. We got all the shelves stocked with no problem as there were very few customers as every one was at home watching TV.

I found another wind site on the net the other day. I have been watching the hurricane on it. It is a lot better than the better than the other one. It gives way more information. www.windy.com  It looks like there is another hurricane brewing off Africa.

WS My fingers are crossed that a bear will get hungry for some sweets to go along with the acorns.

ww Hopefully you get a caching day instead of just a fishing day.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13352 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Good morning everyone, looks like it’s going to be a rainy day. I hope everyone has a great and safe day.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13353 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Good morning everyone!

Yesterday I sat from noon until dark and only saw 2 deer. I came out this morning collected cards and sprayed and freshened up the crib.

When I got back to the shack I checked the cards. At basically 11am a very nice bear had sniffed around the crib. Talk about a kick in the pants, you just never know. I immediately showered and headed for my stand. It will be a long day but hopefully he will check it out early again.

Hope you all have an excellent day!
Stay safe.

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13354 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:36 AM »
🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻  those are crossed finger emojis that apparently don't show up right on here  ::) :woot:  Good luck WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13355 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Good Luck Marv, half the battle is right place at the right time.  Mrs eye looks like its healing up.  Going to miss my co-worker, she landed that job in her home state.
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #13356 on: Sep 13, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Calm and 66* on the Hill this am, high of 75 today.
  Thoughts and prayers going out to all those in Florence's path, this is surely going to be a devastating storm.

Bud...that's good news on your wife, best wishes to her on a swift recovery!   :thumbsup:
  Marv...chomping at the bit like everyone else for yesterday's hunting news!   ;D.    Hoping that early stand you took paid off. Thanks for the picture, looks like a real nice bear!!   :thumbsup:
  Tom...hope you had safe travels on your run yesterday. Thanks for sharing your memory on JFK.  :thumbsup:    I was only 2yrs. old then, can't recall what I was up to, but more than likely....it was something terrible.   ;D
  Wally...that's so awesome the trip is on! I hope you all had safe travels to Erie and a banner day with the walleyes!   :thumbsup: :clap:

We had another very good day on the " great wall " yesterday despite the off and on rains that fell throughout the day. Nobody took a count on what was laid, but we're about half way home now.   :thumbsup:   We've got the entryway up to the right elevation now to set the arch template, so that will be installed first thing this am.  Things are starting to take shape now. It's amazing how much can be accomplished when you're allowed to work.... ;D
  Cawfee's on....looks like a crumb cake under the dome this am, help yourself.
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those hunting/fishing!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13357 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:22 AM »
It stayed warm over night. 72* at 6:30 and cloudy
WW, glad you are able to get the trip to Erie in. Hope you find a couple of those big ones.
Marv, it is hard to believe that hunting season is "bearing" down on us. Good luck and hope a big one shows up.

I fished yesterday. Water temp at the launch was 62 and out in the lake 72. The fishing was on the slow side. 6/7 walleyes, 3 SMB and 2 rock bass. The good thing is I only saw about 10 boats all day and most of those were guys fishing. Saw some very large schools of bait fish. Lake has come up about 6 inches.

Have to take the Jeep in this morning for a recall. They have to bleed the blake lines.....Have a good day...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13358 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:52 AM »
The trip yesterday was great as usual. Not a single deer track on the property or any acorns again. There was a bunch of turkeys across the road from the gate. When I stopped at the store to get my bread a Native American friend was working check out. The young man packing groceries called me sir. She responded with some smart remark about me not being a sir, surprising him. As usual she gave me a big hug which got a strange look out of an older check out woman.

I took a different route to get groceries on the way home that I had not driven in years. Miles and miles on a twisty road through oak forests.  It brought back a lot of memories of turkey hunting in that area back in the 90's. Back then I had to drive a long ways to find turkeys to hunt. Now I only hunt in a couple of townships around home.

Off in a while for the wife's regular DRs appointment. She felt some thing where she had the small thing removed in her arm pit a while back.  I looked and it was a knot on a suture. I offered to pull it out but she declined, DANG. She thought that all of the sutures were suppose to be dissolvable ones.

WS that is a nice looking bear. Hopefully he comes back and his sweet tooth kicks in.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13359 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Good morning everyone!

Long day in the stand yesterday and not a lot to show for it.

About noon I happened to finally spot a bear 15 yards from my stand. It wasn't the one I posted the picture of by no means. Bears have to be 42" long to be legal and this one was borderline. It might have made it if I took one end and the girls the other and we pulled hard. At least I saw a bear.

I was up early putting out bait, hit the shower and made it to the stand before 8am. I will try another 12 hour sit and hope to Hogan's goat a good one wanders in.

We still have strong S SE and it's expected to be 80 today. Next week the winds turn north and temps drop.

Hope you all have an excellent day! Stay safe.

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13360 on: Sep 13, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Good afternoon everyone ,sunshine earlier today has given way to cloudy skies might see a little more rain before this day is over. My prayers also for all those in the path of Florence .
Eddie glad to hear your crew is having a good week at the "Great Wall of Albany" . I agree things could have been worse for gentlemen with b the bear. Sightings of bear are not that common in my local area but do occur usually in the Spring and again in Fall as the bears look to put on weight for Winter hibernation .
Wallyworld hope your having a great day on Lake Erie. Safe travels to you and Mr.WW tomorrow have a good visit with your son and his family. Something tells me you will be watching the grandchildren play in some type of sport game this Saturday.
Icefisher-45 hope you are making some progress wading through paperwork needed to claim disability benefits.
IFF may your wife continue to have a good post surgery recovery. Always sad when someone you enjoy working with departs for another job.
Hunts2long see your still catching walleyes and other fish congratulations on avoiding the "Skunk". Enjoy any remaining trips with the boat.
Tom Turkey may the suture removal be easy and painless for your wife. I find it fun to travel over roadways that I have not used for a while sometimes get surprised by changes that have happened to certain areas.
Whopper Stopper glad  you finally saw some day time activity at new bait crib. Hopefully the bear in your last photo comes back and presents a good shot. Guess over years of hunting you develop eye for what is a legal bear to shoot.

A safe and good rest of this day to everyone.
Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13361 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Good afternoon everyone!

My day got cut a little short as the wife rolled into the shack with a 20oz Rib Eye. I told her I still have had 4 hours of bear duty but  would be willing to make up time tomorrow lol

They are talking 100 degrees in the jungle tomorrow with just a touch cooler temps here. Report from across the river (MN) says bear harvest is down by 600 animals thanks to the abundance of acorns and berries along with hot temps.

Tonight is toasting the Bear Hunting God's, and eating meat!

Hope you all have an excellent evening!

Stay safe.

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13362 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Afternoon all,

Just finished up for the day, boated 28 eyes!! Had a blast now the 3+ hour drive home 😖 will have some pics next week after getting back from MA.
Have a good night. Stay safe.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13363 on: Sep 14, 2018, 03:52 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Cloudy and 64* to start the day off, high in the upper 70's today. 

Wally...congratulation s to you all on a great trip, can't wait to see some pictures and hear more about it!   :clap: :bow:   Hope you had safe travels back home and to Mass today....have a great time with the grandchildren!   :thumbsup:
  Marv...congratulations on the first bear sighting, broke the ice now!   :clap:  Glad you had the discipline to hold off on that smaller one. That 42" legal length would keep me guessing...sounds more like a fishing regulation!    ;D.   Best of luck with today's hunt Sir, hope that leary bear shows up today!  How was that rib eye.... :whistle:
  Steve...understand they downgraded Florence to a category 1 last evening, but the Carolina's are taking a serious beating.  How are things going with the house?
  Tom...sounds like you had a pleasant day, especially taking in a drive on that old hunting road, good stuff!   :thumbsup:   
  H2...congrats on another good day with the walleyes! Best of luck today if heading back out, especially with the minimal boat traffic now.   :clap:

We'll have all of the brick on one side of the wall finished today for the most part, had another very good day yesterday.   :thumbsup: 
   Running behind this am....will check in at break and see how everyone's doing today....cawfee's on!
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13364 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Morning all,

Just a quick hello before we get back on the road. Hope everyone is doing ok.

WS....sure hope you get your shot today  ;)
 Eddie.....better start getting your Salmon River gear ready, won't be long now  :)

Here's the fish we brought home with us

MrWW's Mom & Uncle LOVE fish  ;D

Have a good day and great weekend. Stay safe.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13365 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:03 AM »
68 degrees and clouds.
WW, A "GREAT" trip. I follow the Lake Erie section on MFF and I was getting the impression that the fishing was going the other way. Can't wait for the pictures. Hope one of you got a big one. Safe travels...

No fishing today, the daughter is coming up tonight for her Birthday dinner.

Have a great Friday....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13366 on: Sep 14, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Good morning everyone!

A very hot stick day on tap. I was sweating pretty good by the time I made it to the stand this morning. Today will be 15 hour sit if need be.

The steak was good Eddie but back to business today lol. The bugs are crazy this morning, so far no breeze to keep them away.

I read yesterday that the MN bear hunters are some 600 animals short from last season due to the heat and acorns and berries. I am guessing the same on this side.of the river.

Hope you all have a great day! I appreciate the well wishes, this is turning into a battle.

Stay safe!

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13367 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Good morning,cloudy again for me had some rain overnight . I was watching the Weather Channel see Florence has made land fall and now hanging over the coast tornado warnings in some places. Around half million people without electric power rain may continue for 24 hours will be at lot of flooding and wind damage.
Wallyworld congratulations on a good day of fishing. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: Safe journey Have a great time with your son,DIL and the grandchildren.
Whopper Stopper looks like your area maybe seeing new record high temperatures. May the rib eye dinner help fuel you through today's hunt. How long does the archery season for bear last. Hopefully "Yogi" has a strong desire for sweets today and pays you a visit.
Hunts2long Happy Birthday to your daughter. How are things going between her and Rocky.
Eddie that is great news about the "Great Wall of Albany" . I received the certificates of occupancy for the two open permits in yesterday's mail also receive school property tax bill. ::)

Have a safe and good Friday . Best to all fishing and hunting.
Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13368 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Broadcasting live from the " Great Wall Of Albany ".,.. ;D
  Awesome job Wally!!!    :bow: :clap:
  Marv...hoping that pistol barks before the 15hrs is up ...talk about being committed. .. :flex: :clap: :bow:

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13369 on: Sep 15, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Morning all,

WS.....those temps sound brutal 😖 hope to see a good report from yesterday’s hunt.

H2L.....the easy pickings on Erie have slowed for sure ☹️ water cooled down to low 50s at 30’☹️ Had to search for upper 60s before we found fish. Once we found that it was game on 😉

Eddie....hope you had a good finish to the week 😀 yard work on tap today?

The drive was uneventful yesterday. Hockey, field hockey and soccer on the agenda today.

Have a good day whatever your plans. Stay safe.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13370 on: Sep 15, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Welcome to the weekend and the half way point of September already!   :thumbsup:   
  64* this am, high of about 80 here today.
  Thoughts and prayers going out to all those in Florence's path. Believe I heard 5 fatalitys earlier this am and close to a million people without power....

Marv...looking forward to your report today!  Wow, with that hot weather, time will be of essence from knocking one down to field dressing and cooling off the meat before some spoiling occurrs. Quartering and packed with ice maybe the quickest route?  Best of luck this morning if heading out!   :thumbsup:
  Steve...that's great news on the house, congratulations!!   :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
  H2...Happy Birthday to your daughter, hope you all had great evening together!   :thumbsup:  Glad to hear the water came up some for you, looks like some rain forecasted for Tuesday, should help a little more.

Well , we finished up one side of the wall yesterday, that was gratifying to say the least!  :thumbsup:  We should have no problem finishing up this coming week unless we run out of brick and/or mortar. It's going to be real close on both from my estimation seeing as how the original plans were changed after material was ordered.... :roflmao:
  Some yard work on the agenda today and maybe a little grilling this afternoon...nice easy day.
  Cawfee's on...
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those hunting/fishing!

Good Morning Wally, missed your post as I was fighting a computer locking up again!   ;D
  Another busy day ahead for you and Mr.WW with the grandchildren! Hope you all have a great time, best of luck to the grandchildren with their games today!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13371 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Morning every one. Mid 50s this morning. A killing frost can not come soon enough. The skeeters have become ferocious the last week. They are real small and hard to kill even with a fly swatter. My son came over to pick up the tiller last night so he can get our food plots in. We finally decided to come in the house to shoot the breeze as we were getting covered with skeeters. Three or four on your arm was the norm.

Today is the annual Harvest Festival in town. They have combined the 150 year celebration with it. I am going to steer clear of town today. I am not one that likes crowds.

The suture in the wife's arm pit was no big problem. He just pulled it out an inch or so and cut it off. Hopefully they used dissolvable suture so the rest will go away. I had a couple moles taken off my face one time that they used the wrong suture  inside. I ended up shaving off one of the knots that came to the surface before I realized it. That hurt.

Eddie It is surprising how fast the Great Wall is going once things got straightened out. Hope fully there are enough bricks to finish the wall so they match. Getting more that do not match totally would really screw the wall up.

WS It sounds like you need to buy a Thermacell. They keep the sketters at bay. Deer do not seem to smell them so a bear probably would not either. I had bought one for my hunting buddy after he got bit to pieces calling in a turkey for me while I had mine sitting between my legs and never got bit. He sits in his deer blind just watching the wild life almost every night. He keeps it there and never has to deal with them even as bad as they are right now. He said the other night that the bear he had on camera this spring showed up on a camera again last week. That 42 inch length for a bear is different. We can shoot any bear as long as it does not have cubs with it.

ww That looks like a bunch of fish to clean. Some great eating as well.

MrC  Great news on the occupancy permits. It has been a long haul to be able to get the house on the market.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13372 on: Sep 15, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Good Morning Everyone :bow:

Yesterday was just a plain miserable day sitting in the stand. All I saw for the whole time was a scrawny squirrel looking for some shade. The sweet rolls and cookies I put in the crib all turned moldy do in part to no activity and the high humidity. This morning around 5am storms rolled in and a deluge of rain hit the area.

I decided to pack up some stuff and head for home. By Wednesday the highs are going to be in the 60's and I will return for the second half of the hunt. So many things seem to be making this a tough season to bait, it's easy to get discouraged.

I have the lawn to mow and a few other things to do around the homestead, not to mention a bunch of hunting clothes that need washing.

Hope you all have an excellent weekend :thumbsup: Stay safe.

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13373 on: Sep 15, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Good morning sunny with rising humidity here today. Heading to the house later still some things to remove  so realtor call put up sign and start viewings from interested people. The size and slow speed  of Florence is causing major problems for folks in it's path . Flooding now a big problem.
Eddie may there be enough bricks and mortar  left to finish the "Great Wall" You do not need to see problems mentioned by Mr. Turkey .
Wallyworld glad trip to Ma. was trouble  free  best to all the grandchildren with their games today.
Tom Turkey may cooler weather come to kill off the skeeters  . May the doctors have used the dissolvable sutures on your wife so she has no further trouble. What fast growing crop are you planting for the feed plots. Thank you for your review and info. on thermocell product.

Hunts2long how was the daughter's birthday celebration.
Ice Wanderer safe journey home from Maine today. Looking forward to any photos and report on how surf rod preformed.
Morning Whopper Stopper see you posted while I was typing sounds like a good plan. may you see better weather and more activity when you return to the "Shack".

A safe and good Saturday for everyone. Best to all fishing and hunting.
Steve

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13374 on: Sep 15, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Good morning everyone, not sure what the weather is going to be. Looks like rain. Hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the water.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13375 on: Sep 16, 2018, 04:56 AM »
Just dropped in to see what has been happening.  See WW out in the hall, Might as well put on some coffee, open the windows and let if cool off.  Still almost 77* in here.  Nothing planned for today, cept maybe some grocery shopping.  Take care all,

Good luck on the hunt Marv.
Bud

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13376 on: Sep 16, 2018, 05:27 AM »
Morning IFF, morning all,

Coffee is always welcome IFF 😉

Yesterday’s games all went in the lost column 😢 3 more today. Hope things turn around and we end the day with 3 wins !!
Have a good day whatever you have planned. Stay safe

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13377 on: Sep 16, 2018, 05:30 AM »
Good Morning Bud, Wally, Morning Everyone,
  Patchy fog and 59* this am, high of 81 today.

Bud..sounds like its been hot there too. Hope things are going well for you out in The Mile High!   :thumbsup:
  Wally...best of luck with the games today, win...win...win...!   ;D. Safe travels back home... :thumbsup:
  I-45...hope things are going well, getting closer to your disability appointment...best wishes!   :thumbsup:
  Steve...imagine it will be a bittersweet moment seeing the house for sale, but congratulations on clearing all the hurdles...here's to a quick sale!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Marv...you sure had your share of things working against you this past week, but you stuck it out!  :thumbsup:  Better conditions with the cooler weather coming your way...I'm thinking the 2nd half is going to be a whole different game...keep the faith!   :thumbsup:
  Tom...what are you planting in the food plots this season?  There shouldn't be any problem as far as matching the bricks, understand the supplier has a large stock of the blend we're using....so that's a plus!   ;D.   Glad the suture removal was an easy fix for your wife!   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...looking forward to hearing about your trip....hope you had great weather and an enjoyable vacation!   :thumbsup:

Spent a few hours helping out my son get his lawn chores caught up yesterday, he's been working 6 days a week on his job out of town and falling behind. All caught up, he was thrilled pulling into his driveway last evening. One less thing to take away from his family time.
  Not much on the planner today, maybe a trip to the orchard this afternoon.  Cawfee's on...
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13378 on: Sep 16, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

Back to 90 with +70 dew points on tap for the day. Monday the rain moves in and is expected through Thursday :%$#!:

WW enjoy the games :thumbsup:

me.clean hope you are ready to take the final lap on getting the house sold :thumbsup:

Eddie very nice of you to give your son a hand :thumbsup: I bet after coming off 6 day weeks he couldn't have been happier. No worries buddy, the faith is burning!

With the forecast being a week of mostly rain I am not sure when to head back to the shack. I may just head up for a Tuesday bait refresh and hunt. Thursday I have a Dr appointment that I can't get moved, so my next extended stay may be Thursday night.

Hope you all have an excellent Sunday :thumbsup: Stay safe.

WS

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13379 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:47 AM »
The remains of that hurricane just will not leave the Carolina's.  I feel for all of those people down there.

eddie
All I ever palnt in my food plots is rye in the fall. Planting any thing in the spring for the summer is a waste of money. The ground is so poor that it just burns up over the summer. I read the journals written by the light house keeper from the light house 6 or so miles west of my property. He wrote of driving thorugh there back in the 30's. He mentiond how worth less the ground was after being logged off. It can rain inches but the next day things are dusty.

When I was over there the other day I walked some of the food plots after my son had mowed them off prior to tilling them. It looks like I need to spray them off next spring as weeds are taking them over.

That is great that the bricks can be matched. What is the next projet for the future. I am sure that your son was pleased to see his lawn work caught up so he has family time on his day off.

A killing frost is probaly a ways away to get rid of the skeeters. Normally it is well into October.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.