Author Topic: artifical structure?  (Read 4717 times)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
artifical structure?
« on: Nov 18, 2003, 06:52 AM »
anyone create one for ice fishing?  I saw an article many years ago of using brush or an old Christmas tree in which the bottom was weighted and a plastic jug was used to hold it upright attracted fish,..
I live on a lake that is very weedy on both ends but has a long section with no cover,..I was thinking that a bit of structure in between these areas migh hold a few fish for a while,..I don't want to add to lake garbage and at sometime it will detach and float to the shore and we all pick up shore stuff such as bottles and other debris,..but I was wondering if anyone found these or something like it to work. When I used to scuba dive I noted that you seldom saw a game fish  unless it was near some cover,.. would be pretty easy to sink a pine tree through a hole in the ice ,..not sure it has to be "aged" before fish are attracted to it,..(?)

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:artifical structure?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2003, 06:59 AM »
I no some states it is illegal to put christmas trees down the hole. I think it has to be portable type that you can take back out when you leave.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:08 AM »
 Hmmm? I don't think I've ever heard of structure you take with you when you leave. The idea is to give the fish something to hang on, if you took it with you( boy that would be some big hole) it would do you little good. Check the laws in your state about adding atifical structure.  It might take several trees weighted down with cement blocks to attract fish.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2003, 11:19 AM »
I agree with fishdaddy. you are walking a very thin line here. check out your states regs. better yet call the DNR and talk to a game warden about it. they will let you know right away if it is legal or not.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2003, 11:25 AM »
Our local club sank 80 christmas trees this past spring to help give the crappie some cover. We drilled o hole in through the base, slid a cinder block over it and drove a piece of re-bar through the hole to hold the block. We formed 2 rows of 40 trees about 50 feet apart in 16-20 feet of water. We got permission from the state before hand and still got the third degree form the marine police. There was a guy on shore screaming at us and waving his arms but we just ignored him.

I'm hoping to try the ice over them this winter!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2003, 11:27 AM »
Hey Pepe, what lake was that again where you sank those trees? 8)
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2003, 11:35 AM »
Does it say Pepe again? ???

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2003, 12:01 PM »
Here in Michigan you can put a christmas tree in a
lake,but you have to call the D.N.R and get a permit
to do so.This could take about 60 days.The DNR,they
want to make sure that you sink the tree deep enough
for water skiers,boaters,swimmers,ect.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2003, 01:17 PM »
No, your still back to webguy.  For some reason the Pepe thing just stuck with me ::)
Good luck with those Crappie
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2003, 11:04 AM »
Fish Daddy about twenty years ago there was a artifical tree that folded up when you shoved the tree down the hole, then sprang out. You could pull it back through the hole when you were done. I dont think it sold very well. I think it was the same guy that invented the color selector. Remember that great invention.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline wiper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2003, 09:50 PM »
Hollis' Take a 5 gallon bucket Get 7-8 stakes (wooden oak or Locust 5 to 3 foot)fill bucket with concrete about a third full. Have about 50 in the lake I live on Crappies and Gills love it...Later

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Xmas trees last about 2 years under water. Cut some red cedar from some poor farmers fencerow. Itll probably be there for your grandkids.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2003, 05:46 AM »
Hey Mr.Seaguar,you say X-mas trees only last two
years under water,how deep are they.Just curious.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2003, 10:40 AM »
Swalleyi: Nope i never heard of the fold up tree. I don't think it would work very well. I do have a friend who has a color selector he never uses it.  I like the bucket idea fast easy and effective.  Getting the permits would no doubt be a pain!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2003, 02:17 PM »
What about rocks?
They are natural, look natural, and don't pollute!
There are plenty of rocks from baseball size to soccer ball size in all the farmers fields around here. And the farmers would be glad if you took some of them from there property. Ask first! 8)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2003, 09:54 PM »
I have watched a lot of trees over many years fishing limestone quarry pits. The county conservation board would put lots of them in but you could only fish them for a couple years until all the limbs fell off or rotted away. Maybe its 3-4 years but not very long. I also fish some lakes with red cedar trees and you can see jigs we snagged 10 years ago.  Even the county conservation board quit using Xmas trees. The trees were in water from the surface down to 15 feet maybe. They do attract fish for the time they hold together.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:25 AM »
Hey Seaguar,
Do you think one of the factors is that they were limestone pits? Bacteria are a lot more active in higher PH water,..thus fast breakdown (?) But I agree cedar should last a long time due to its oils (ie cedar fence posts)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:40 AM »
Probably the limestone had an effect. I know the CCB quit using Xmas trees in all the lakes in that county, maybe cause they had basically an endless supply of red cedar. In other lakes in southern IA I saw they were putting structure in, no Xmas trees were used. Blocks, tires, and bale rings with cedar trees tied on to them.

Not that Xmas trees dont work. They work. Its just that you have to do it over in just a few years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.