Author Topic: Anyone else have this problem?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone else have this problem?
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I couldn't buy a bite jigging anything with minnow heads or minnow bodies, but my deadstick rods rigged with a live minnow kept getting hit every 5 minutes or so and then when I'd pick up the rod to set the hook the perch would be gone ??? ??? ???

I set the hook on a couple and landed some but was confused why the deadsticks were outproducing jigging.
DILLY DILLY

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:41 PM »
more than likely the fish were in a more negative mood, going for the struggling minnow over the less lifelike pieces of minnow that you were jigging. when that happens, if you don't want to just set up multiple dead rods with minnows, downsize to a smaller jig and tip it with spikes or a waxworm.

as for your poor hookup ratio on the dead rod, check to make sure your hook point is sharp, and possibly upsize your hook.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:37 PM »
May try some wax worms or maggots see if it kicks into biting. Some times there feed on bugs off the bottom. I think they hit the minnow because they are easy.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Perch are fully capable of sucking most any bait combo and spitting it out without you even noticing it, regardless of line watching or bobber type, seen it on UW cameras many, many times. Consider opening the gap on the hook a couple degrees, tends to hang up on the mouth a touch longer giving you a slightly better chance. They are a sneaky critter, opening the gap works on all pannies as does pinching the barb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Thanks guys those are some really good tips
DILLY DILLY

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:24 PM »
go to 2 # test line using a jig tipped with spikes, mousies or wax worms. Many times the bite is so light that you do not detect it so don't be afraid to set the hook at any movement of the line that is out of ordinary. I use the smallest bobber I can find and keep it moving on my jigging rod almost constantly. I may dead stick as well. Many times the lightest bite is the bigger perch!

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I'll give you a tip - cut a pickerel rig in half, so that there is only one wire arm.  On the main line where the weight usually goes tie on your favorite light jig.  Where the wire arm extends out, tie on a piece of 6 inch clear mono and then tie on either a dry fly or a very small treble hook tipped with a piece of night crawler/perch eye or your favorite bait.  Essentially, you have just made a drop-shot rig that puts your jig at the bottom to attract the perch, but when they're in a negative mood they'll hit the fly/bait that's dangling just in front of it and slightly off bottom.  Because the fly/small treble hook is so light they usually suck it in pretty deep and your hook up ratio should improve.

This rig works pretty good on a dead stick.  Good luck!     
How long is a piece of string?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Awesome advise guys.  Thanks
DILLY DILLY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.