The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trying to find bait...  (Read 1387 times)

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying to find bait...
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 12:10 PM »
Hey guys, I come up to the poconos area from NJ to ice fish all the time. I like to fish Promised Land a lot and sometimes Shohola. However, there are like no bait shops in the area I'm from. I usually stop at JC's in Gouldsboro on my way up but it is pretty far out of the way for me if I'm going to Promised Land. Was just wondering if there are any bait shops that carry the usual just like shiners, fatheads, waxies etc. that are a little closer to Promised Land. Been trying to look it up on maps but not having much luck. Thanks a ton.

Offline EricK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trying to find bait...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:14 PM »
Check out the post in the sticky section for PA bait shops, there's a nice map and a long list of area shops.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Hey guys, I come up to the poconos area from NJ to ice fish all the time. I like to fish Promised Land a lot and sometimes Shohola. However, there are like no bait shops in the area I'm from. I usually stop at JC's in Gouldsboro on my way up but it is pretty far out of the way for me if I'm going to Promised Land. Was just wondering if there are any bait shops that carry the usual just like shiners, fatheads, waxies etc. that are a little closer to Promised Land. Been trying to look it up on maps but not having much luck. Thanks a ton.
It kind of depends on which way you are traveling in.  I-380?  I-84?  There is a little store right by the park that says they have bait but I don’t know what they have.  Hunters Gallery is in Lake Ariel and has a good selection of bait and not too far.

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:44 PM »
It kind of depends on which way you are traveling in.  I-380?  I-84?  There is a little store right by the park that says they have bait but I don’t know what they have.  Hunters Gallery is in Lake Ariel and has a good selection of bait and not too far.
Kind of neither I'd be coming up the middle like 191 to 447 (creek rd)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:53 PM »
Depending on how far South you are coming from Mikes in Nazareth is my usual go to. Just west of 33 on 191.

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:01 PM »
Depending on how far South you are coming from Mikes in Nazareth is my usual go to. Just west of 33 on 191.
Could make it on my way but I saw that it doesnt open until 8, is that true? Kinda defeats the purpose of selling bait if you're not open till 8.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:17 AM »
Klotz’s bait and tackle, Hellertown pa. Open weekdays at 7 am. Medium shiners, fatheads, waxies etc….
                610-838-7970

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:21 AM »
Come up 402 to rt6 and hit Wallenpaupack Sport Shop. About 20 minutes from both lakes and open at 7am. They’ll have everything you need but $$$$.

Offline MCH1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:25 PM »
Not that I like big box stores but petco and pet smart usually have waxies, mealies, sometimes butter worms. You can also get rosies which are a type of fathead just orangish reddish hence the name. I order my waxies online. 500 cost me $30

Offline johnhockey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:33 PM »
Come up 402 to rt6 and hit Wallenpaupack Sport Shop. About 20 minutes from both lakes and open at 7am. They’ll have everything you need but $$$$.
Yeah that's where I wound up going. Stopped at Pickerel Inn on the way but they didnt have bait yet. Said it should be in on Thursday.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:12 PM »
If you're passing the Gouldsboro exit hop off and stop at J.C.'s Bait on Main Street in Gouldsboro, turn right at the end of the exit ramp and go a few miles - four or five at most, he has great bait and is a really nice guy.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:12 AM »
Not sure what part of Jersey you are traveling but when I drive to the Poconos, I take route 31 north to route 46 to the Water Gap where I pick up route 80. There’s a really good shop on Route 31 in Washington, NJ called Hi-Way Sport Shop:

https://m.facebook.com/Hi-Way-Sport-Shop-1114468925240096/

It’s right on my way and they have a great selection of bait.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2022, 09:01 AM »
I stopped at Hunters Gallery in Hamlin yesterday morning and they didn’t have waxies..............sa id they were supposed to get them on Tuesday but didn’t.
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.