The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: "THE SPUD" Memorial Event - Walker Lake  (Read 2968 times)

Offline pullinjigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: "THE SPUD" Memorial Event - Walker Lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Ive never fished this lake before but planning on coming down sunday with my son and my dear old dad, i stress old ;D, but anyway i looked on google maps and i don't know where the rail area is, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:08 PM »
it's on the opposite side and up the  lake more.. there's a church where you turn and go back and then left back a dirt road a little ways.

Offline pullinjigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:08 PM »
it's on the opposite side and up the  lake more.. there's a church where you turn and go back and then left back a dirt road a little ways.
thanks a lot i appreciate the help, sounds like there will be a lot of people there on sunday i could always just follow all the other lurkers ::)on my way ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:31 PM »
thanks a lot i appreciate the help, sounds like there will be a lot of people there on sunday i could always just follow all the other lurkers ::)on my way ;D
:roflmao: , yeah you could. We'll probably be pulling out from Jersey shore Sunday morning..

Offline wigglyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Thanks coolj for putting the post up for me.

Byron, you're welcome. Keep me posted on any future events, I will be glad to help out.

I just got back from getting fresh bait. Like coolj said we will have plenty of fatheads, medium shiners, waxies, and mealies, both red and gold. I will be up by 6 o'clock for certain, if you need to come in earlier just give me a call at 570-837-0275. I will try to make it up to the lake but have to fulfill some prior obligations first. Hope everyone has a great time. 

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Is it good to get on at launch
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Well, I was planning on attending on Sunday, but thanks to the weather the trip I had for tomorrow cancelled and is going on Sunday instead.  Have a great time on Sunday guys and gals!  I will be thinking of you all while I am sitting around in Alfred, NY.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline sllloyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:41 PM »
i will be there

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Is there enough room at the rail for everyone to park?
Maybe.....I'm going to ask everyone (even those that consider themselves "locals") to remember that much of the lane leading to the rail area is private property that is open to us because of the generosity of the landowners. Please be respectfull......

My only issue is i have to bring my little kia rio
If you get stuck, we'll pick it up and get you out....promise :) and you can laugh at those of us that are getting 12 MPG.

I will be thinking of you all while I am sitting around in Alfred, NY
geo; Thanks for the thoughts, FRED will know that you are there in state of mind.....

When your coming in to the rail at the top of the hill on the right is Skips fields. He allowed us to park there before. He was Freds long time friend, so I'm willing to bet he many be even there greeting us
  Skip's field is on the right as you are facing the lake.................. ........and yes, we'll be blessed with his presence and you may park in his field ;D

I really was thinking that this would be a small gathering, I misjudged the number of people that were lucky enough to have known FRED.

I was told today that the ice is safe to walk straight across from the main ramp and then cut up-lake to where we'll be, be carefull and plan accordingly........... .......

In the event that the PFBC showes up and has any questions, please be cooperative.

THANKS SO MUCH................
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Let me say that support for this has been overwelming - I do not have the time to list all the people who have called, emailed, PMed or ortherwise gotten in touch offering donations. The number of folks who just wanted to mail me a check caught me by suprise. But freinds of FRED from VT, NY, WI, MN and of course PA have offered support............... ....

I have thanked everyone and declined most of these offers. There just is not enough time to do this the way it should be done. I've hinted that I'd like to make this an annual event and everyone who offered support has agreed that they would continue to support a yearly event.

One prize I have accepted is from fellow IS member Chris Confer, known as Topher something. He is donating a "FishHounds Outdoors Pannie Droper" Custom Rod. This is a 26inch light action rod that is part of the "James Vladyka Tourny Series Collection"
This sweet rod will be awarded via random drawing to everyone who showes up.

I can get you a picture if you would like also Byron.....I will be shipping it to whomever wins the rod.... just let me know !

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Well I saw just a few notes about THE SPUD event today, posted on the Report/Conditons page.  I'd like a few more details on turnout and the fun had.  I was with Boy Scouts in Perry Co. at winter camp and I bet it was no more than 20 degrees early this am and you guys were further north so likely even colder.  Seemed like wind was minimal so hopefully was a pleasant weather day on the ice.

Any good eats or did everyone keep to themselves with food at this event since it sprang up so quickly?

I hear a 13" crappie took 1st place.  Nice fish for whoever caught that one...... nicely done.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:22 PM »
there were a few pic taking  hope someone posts a few
it was a very good turn out

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:28 PM »
It was a great day, but yes cold in the morning..

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I enjoyed myself today, it was great catching up with all the familiar faces. The bite was slow, but all the knowledge from many reputable ice fisherman and memories of Fred were worth every bit of it!

Offline tony dranzo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:35 AM »
   I did not know Fred but participated in the event. When my day comes it would put a smile on my face to see such kindness. Very good job.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 AM »
Sounds like all there enjoyed it much.  That's excellent.  Count me in for next year's SPUD Walker Day, especially with a little more lead time for planning to attend.  I bet it will be a real nice event with the luxury of planning time.

Can still hardly believe he's gone, but he is.  And we all go at some pt.  As Tony said, when I go I sure hope the guys I know will get it together and have a good one somewhere and purposefully enjoy a day in the wilds.  Nuff said.

Thanks again to Byron (and Beerthirty?) for throwing this together pronto-like.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:18 PM »
In a nutshell everyone had a great time, as far as I know.

48 anglers entered the derby - but there were another half dozen or so who showed to fish and make a donation but choose not to be in the derby.
$282.00 was raised for the "Hooked on Fishing, Not Drugs" program.
Largest Crappie caught was 13" taken by Steve Bannon - a side note that Steve had been fishing with FRED three weeks earlier up in VT.
Some participants brought prizes to donate; SKIP gave a fillet knife set, Eric at the Wiggly Worm gave a nice bag of goodies, Mike Benner gave a Clam shelter, An "unknown antendee" donated a box of custom tied crappie jigs. I'm forgetting some- Sorry.

Weather was great, a bit nip in the morning but calm and sunny - a side not that the big crappie was caught shortly after the "shade line" had crossed ;D

FRED smiled on us and I'm sure he was very proud................a huge THANKS to all who made it possible. Looking at the first or second Sunday in February for next year.

THANKS AGAIN
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 PM »
In a nutshell everyone had a great time, as far as I know.

48 anglers entered the derby - but there were another half dozen or so who showed to fish and make a donation but choose not to be in the derby.
$282.00 was raised for the "Hooked on Fishing, Not Drugs" program.
Largest Crappie caught was 13" taken by Steve Bannon - a side note that Steve had been fishing with FRED three weeks earlier up in VT.
Some participants brought prizes to donate; SKIP gave a fillet knife set, Eric at the Wiggly Worm gave a nice bag of goodies, Mike Benner gave a Clam shelter, An "unknown antendee" donated a box of custom tied crappie jigs. I'm forgetting some- Sorry.

Weather was great, a bit nip in the morning but calm and sunny - a side not that the big crappie was caught shortly after the "shade line" had crossed ;D

FRED smiled on us and I'm sure he was very proud................a huge THANKS to all who made it possible. Looking at the first or second Sunday in February for next year.

THANKS AGAIN

Byron, please be sure to PM me the address of the rod winner too please !  Thanks again for putting this together on such short notice !

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Thanks to all who showed up and participated or even donated! Gauranteed Fred was smiling down on us Sunday! Byron did a FANTASTIC job getting all this put together! Was really nice to meet some of you this weekend! Hope we can make this grow! Hey Ronbo.... When we gonna clean Skip's pond out.... LOL.... We surely cleaned Jason's beer out....  ;)
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:32 AM »
I went fishing yesterday and took my spud with me to check ice thickness as i walked. "The square holes are mine" I thought as I opened up a hole enough to measure the thickness. Using the chisel, which I seldom do, made me think of him. This morning I logged on and saw this for the first time. I'm sorry for your loss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.