Author Topic: Make a swivel Ice rod holder for a dollar  (Read 5289 times)

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
Make a swivel Ice rod holder for a dollar
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:48 AM »
 I came up with a way to make a swivel rod holder with common hardware store parts . All you need is a simpson strong tie 2x4 hanger (lus 24) that is available almost any hardware store. You will also need a 10/32 nut and bolt ,2 inches long . Other sizes will work too.  The nut should have a captive washer. You will also need a 4-6" piece of plastic pipe, either plumbing, electrical, or vacuum . It should be 1 " inner and 1.25" outer.
 You just need to drill the 2/4 nail holder on the hanger and the pipe. put the bolt through all of it and tighten it down. Now you have a swivel rod holder. You can fasten it to your shanty in a hundred different ways with the 4 nail holes . It is small and fits in a bucket. Probably weighs 10 ounces. The picture says 1000 words.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
When the game is over Both the king and pawn both go back in the same box.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Make a swivel Ice rod holder for a dollar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:40 AM »
A picture may say a thousand words, but your profile DOESN"T say where you are located!! Take a moment to fix that please! :whistle: Nice work by the way!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:59 AM »
Nice design, but I'm pretty sure those will cost more than a dollar to make.

Your location is unimportant to me, some folks are just way too nosey... or they want to sneak into your shack and take your rod holders while you aren't around. ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:16 AM »
Very nice idea.

Just to touch on the other thingy, Location;

Here it is not required,  I will say this though, I am on another site where your first and last name is listed at the bottom on your sig and your location is required, and that is one of the most freindly sites I have ever been on.  Example well thanks for the info JIM.  Your welcome Mike.  Stuff like that goes along way to making a site VERY enjoyable to be on. 

So you do what you want with info, I for one have way to many rod holders to steal yours,  :P

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:37 AM »
 O.k. i changed my location .
Actually , I built the rod holder for under a dollar. The hanger and tubing came from a Habitat for Humanity restore . The hanger was .25. The tubing was .50 for a five foot long section. The nut and bolt i had here.
I built another spring clamp rod holder and hot glued some of the tubing to the outside of my bucket.
The spring clamp is a pony 3201 . It was a garage sale find.  I used a 1/4x20 bolt and a nyloc nut to fasten the tube to the spring clamp. It sits on the side edge lip of my bucket and makes a great quiver rod holder. That one swivels too.

By double1trouble1 at 2012-01-22

I do have a slight complaint about this site. I have been on here a while now. It seems like the mods and some of the regulars like to question a lot of the threads i make. I am just a regular guy who loves fishing and do not mind sharing. I just get mildly annoyed with the site police.  That is why I do not post more.
 Is it just me?

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:58 AM »
be like the wind and blow it off , if you help one person it is worth it , its not like you have to live with these folks

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Don't care about your location DT thats a great idea and an awesome, informative post!  thanks for the tip!

Offline Duckiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. T
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:28 AM »
DT i agree with rags just blow it off
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:36 AM »
O.k. i changed my location .
Actually , I built the rod holder for under a dollar. The hanger and tubing came from a Habitat for Humanity restore . The hanger was .25. The tubing was .50 for a five foot long section. The nut and bolt i had here.
I built another spring clamp rod holder and hot glued some of the tubing to the outside of my bucket.
The spring clamp is a pony 3201 . It was a garage sale find.  I used a 1/4x20 bolt and a nyloc nut to fasten the tube to the spring clamp. It sits on the side edge lip of my bucket and makes a great quiver rod holder. That one swivels too.

(Image removed from quote.)
By double1trouble1 at 2012-01-22

Love this idea. Was there a certain type of glue you used or whatever came with the gun? Thanks

I do have a slight complaint about this site. I have been on here a while now. It seems like the mods and some of the regulars like to question a lot of the threads i make. I am just a regular guy who loves fishing and do not mind sharing. I just get mildly annoyed with the site police.  That is why I do not post more.
 Is it just me?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Ok, I see how you made that holder for so cheap now. I was just sayin' that if you went to Home Depot and started buying parts they'd probably be closer to $4, still not a bad deal though... and you get to work with tools and stuff! ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:23 AM »
DBLTRBL. U R NOT MISSING A THING - A LITTLE PERCEIVED
POWER GOES FURTHER FOR SOME THAN OTHERS.  KIND OF FEELS
LIKE FORMER HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION I DEALT WITH.....  :nono:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Good idea.... :thumbsup:

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Nice idea mite have to try it out thanks :tipup:

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:55 AM »
 The glue for a hot glue gun is pretty standard. Michaels  craft stores sells it pretty reasonably. There are 2 sizes , probably 3/16 and 5/16. They make guns for each.  You could also use construction adhesive or possibly urethane caulk. I like the hot glue because it is an instant bond and if you wish to remove it, the glue will peel off. These are just little ice rod holders so you only need a bond that holds a few pounds. It I wanted to drill the bucket, I could have bolted them on. I like the glue better.  My wife is a teacher so we usually have a large supply of it around the house.

I was president of my homeowners association so I know the feeling ;)2. I just don't need it from my recreation.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:05 AM »
The glue for a hot glue gun is pretty standard. Michaels  craft stores sells it pretty reasonably. There are 2 sizes , probably 3/16 and 5/16. They make guns for each.  You could also use construction adhesive or possibly urethane caulk. I like the hot glue because it is an instant bond and if you wish to remove it, the glue will peel off. These are just little ice rod holders so you only need a bond that holds a few pounds. It I wanted to drill the bucket, I could have bolted them on. I like the glue better.  My wife is a teacher so we usually have a large supply of it around the house.

I was president of my homeowners association so I know the feeling ;)2. I just don't need it from my recreation.
Not sure of the post(s) you are referring to.. But as you should know rules are rules and if ya bend / break them for one, then you have problems..  And with 41,086 Members, you'll have lots of opinions... And ya sure can't please everyone !!   But don't let that stop you from posting.. Just know that not all 41,086 members will agree with ya  lol

Offline smallmouthman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish fear me.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Great idea DT. Thanks for sharing. I think I can use something like that in my flip over.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Great idea man! Might have to make a couple of those for my shack.

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:09 PM »
 Which ones do you guys like better, The clip on one or the nail down one.  I like the up/down swivel on the nail-on ,but the clip on has more uses on the bucket.
That is why I made both.

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:03 PM »
No shack here in PA since we barely get enough safe ice to even walk on. That clip on one for the bucket looks like something I will have to look into making. How strong of a clamp do you need? Do you think the end of an old jumper cable would work? DC

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:22 PM »
 I do not think a jumper cable clamp will hold the edge of the bucket tight enough , but I found clamps at harbor freight for $1-4.The heavy duty ones in the 2-3 inch size looked about right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps/1-inch-capacity-steel-spring-clamp-39569.html

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:21 AM »
I'm not very intelligent.  I just can't see why the rod holder has to swivel.  How can a tube glued to a bucket swivel?  I don't think I want my rod holder to swivel.  The rod would fall out when I'm walking to my fishing spot.  Once inside a fishing shack, the only holder that I need is one to hold the rod horizontal over the fishing hole.  If it swiveled, the rod will fall.

For 99 cents, there are rod holders that attach to the edges of buckets.  They hold the rods in a horizontal position real well.  I bought one the other day and the whole thing fits in the palm of my hand and weighs maybe 1/2 ounce.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:15 AM »
no ideas are bad ideas in my opinion ,if you don't like them don't use them.i think the diy ideas on this site are great .keep them coming and thanks guys.but about the bucket one,dabluz is right u can buy one even cheaper that work good without any work.i just was not sure if you have seen any double trouble,i use the little red plastic one.nontheless good ideas.thanks double trouble.           and i could care less were you live    what the hecks up with that :P :P ???

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:28 AM »
I'm not very intelligent.  I just can't see why the rod holder has to swivel.  How can a tube glued to a bucket swivel?  I don't think I want my rod holder to swivel.  The rod would fall out when I'm walking to my fishing spot.  Once inside a fishing shack, the only holder that I need is one to hold the rod horizontal over the fishing hole.  If it swiveled, the rod will fall.

For 99 cents, there are rod holders that attach to the edges of buckets.  They hold the rods in a horizontal position real well.  I bought one the other day and the whole thing fits in the palm of my hand and weighs maybe 1/2 ounce.

The ones glued to the bucket dont swivel, they carry the rods to your fishing spot. the swivel mounts allow you to position the rod at what ever angle you want or need over the hole.

Offline petenice1304

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:36 AM »
great idea DT i think i'll be making some this week

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:51 PM »
The ones glued to the bucket dont swivel, they carry the rods to your fishing spot. the swivel mounts allow you to position the rod at what ever angle you want or need over the hole.

Oh....ok....great....n ow I know why they swivel.  Now...that's a great idea.  Something doing double duty means 1 less bit of equipment to haul.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.