New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109554 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #450 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Wanted to post a question...I have a Jason Mitchell 36" Mackinaw rod with a Quantum QD310 graphite reel(my bass reel). The reel failed, striped gear, with a nice Laker on! While everyone is here fishing for the Lakers, I need some recommendation for a new reel for next year? This was my first year targeting Lakers, I do like the feeling of the  low profile reels. Any recommendations/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #451 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:20 AM »
I went with an abu black.i find they have the largest line guide on the reel.could always go with the better models like silver or pro max for more strength

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #452 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I have checked them out, kinda leaning towards one of them... :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #453 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Wanted to post a question...I have a Jason Mitchell 36" Mackinaw rod with a Quantum QD310 graphite reel(my bass reel). The reel failed, striped gear, with a nice Laker on! While everyone is here fishing for the Lakers, I need some recommendation for a new reel for next year? This was my first year targeting Lakers, I do like the feeling of the  low profile reels. Any recommendations/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Bart, check out Daiwa Procyon reels in the 2500 series. I use them on my laker rods from med to heavy action with Fireline from 4-8 lb test. The drags have an ENORMOUS adjustment range and are capable of fine tuning throughout a wide line poundage range. I've found that a smooth and highly adjustable drag to be a critical factor in jigging for the predators.

Good luck Bro!
Mike

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #454 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:31 AM »
I can't find a procyon bait caster for sale jager

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #455 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:47 AM »
  Keep America Godly...

Offline icepic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #456 on: Mar 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »
has anyone been having any luck with the eyes on Otsego or goodyear would love to get into them just never had luck on Otsego icefishing for them

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #457 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:13 PM »
has anyone been having any luck with the eyes on Otsego or goodyear would love to get into them just never had luck on Otsego icefishing for them

you had better do it soon. The season closes Sat.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Don't want to sound like one of those guys but,,,
I don't think if I wanted to get into eyes I would go to either of these lakes, yes you catch them but to go out and target them through the ice slim chance. If you "never had any luck with them" in the past then it isn't going to be any better for you now.     

Just an honest opinion

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #459 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:44 PM »
X15

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #460 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Wanted to get back out one last time. So I grabbed a Abu Garcia Pro Max. I spooled up with Fireline, Fluorocarbon leader and hit the ice, Lakers didn't cooperated. Still looking for a spare Laker rig or new primary depending on what I get?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #461 on: Mar 22, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Hows it looking for tomorrow? I'm looking to get out at least once more this year. Been a tough year, between moving and starting a new job, I haven't been out since early February. Would love to get into some lakers. Thanks.

Zach

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #462 on: Mar 22, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Hows it looking for tomorrow? I'm looking to get out at least once more this year. Been a tough year, between moving and starting a new job, I haven't been out since early February. Would love to get into some lakers. Thanks.

Zach

Conditions were fantastic Wednesday, Slick ice, no snow, some crunchy snow/ice. I would say the ice averaged 20-21 inches thick. I drilled within 8 feet of open water at a bubbler on Five Mile and the ice was over 12 inches thick.

If you head out, please keep your eyes peeled for a black HT tipup case we lost Wed. Five black wooden tipups inside with name and address. No real monetary value, but lots of memories. Bounced out of my JetSled between Five Mile, Gravely Point, Sunken Island, and Glimmerglass.

Thanks!

BIGJim223

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #463 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Conditions were fantastic Wednesday, Slick ice, no snow, some crunchy snow/ice. I would say the ice averaged 20-21 inches thick. I drilled within 8 feet of open water at a bubbler on Five Mile and the ice was over 12 inches thick.

If you head out, please keep your eyes peeled for a black HT tipup case we lost Wed. Five black wooden tipups inside with name and address. No real monetary value, but lots of memories. Bounced out of my JetSled between Five Mile, Gravely Point, Sunken Island, and Glimmerglass.

Thanks!

BIGJim223
Sego slayer back I  action? I knew you wouldn't be able to stay off the hard stuff.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #464 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:58 AM »
  Where u been slaying Mbrown4 ?

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #465 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Lurking.I haven't fished in 2 weeks.last time I went I fished 4th lake to try for a landlock but ended up with a girlfriend with a wet boot (she got too close to an inflow) 2 frozen heaters, a broken flasher, a snapped pull cord on the auger and 20 inches of snow to drag my shanty through. Set out 12 traps woth only one flag but we did jig up a measley 25 smelt between 3 of us though  ;D ::) Been getting some work done at home so I can have a free spring to run around like a maniac.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #466 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:22 AM »
  U R tough on the equipment !  Same here on getting stuff done. May fish local HW a few more times. Keep at it, take her to the home stretch.

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I haven't been up to  Otsego Lake for over  2 years now. How's the ice fishing been. I'm sure last year there was no ice. Anyone been out there yet?

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #468 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Put your trolling plate down go about 2 mph but thier running small.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Touge.....hahaha!  Good one.  I was down there yesterday.  Checked out both glimmerglass and public landing.  Ice on both but 'glass looked worse.  No one out on either.  You couldn't get me to try it, but then I'm an old geezer and take no chances.  May be a short to non-existent season therethis year.

Offline Cases459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #470 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:20 PM »
The "reports and conditions" thread for Otsego said 2" at glimmerglass on Sunday, and a guy in a flip over out on it.  Not enough for me, but the past 2 days should have built a bit more.  If it holds up to this weeks warm, it might be safe in a week or two with some cold weather.  Made it out last year on one weekend,  fishing was great.  Hoping we get more than one weekend this year.

youngmook500

« Reply #471 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Any good ice out there yet?

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #472 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Not a chance

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #473 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:44 PM »
absolutely not, keep wishing

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ldurham90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #474 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Darn I was hoping to go there this weekend, how is Canadarago looking for Ice i bet it is in the same boat

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #475 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:47 AM »
 Cando should be doable. Freezes much sooner/shallower. Get 3 posts and you can check the conditions board.

Offline Rabbitman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #476 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:37 PM »
what else do they have? landlocks?

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #477 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:40 PM »
 ::)
what else do they have? landlocks?
I live back in the woods you see

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
« Reply #478 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:34 PM »
are these "landlock" salmon also called Kokanee?

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #479 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:38 PM »
are these "landlock" salmon also called Kokanee?
No, landlocks are all Atlantic salmon, not Kokanee. But you have to check the regs, you can't keep LL salmon in the winter. Only lakers, and only 1 over 23".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.