New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109598 times)

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #330 on: Mar 23, 2013, 11:45 AM »
How do you target Browns? With tip ups or jigging? If jigging, spoons? Tube jigs? minnows? Thanks Nice Brown too..

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #331 on: Mar 23, 2013, 11:58 AM »
How do you target Browns? With tip ups or jigging? If jigging, spoons? Tube jigs? minnows? Thanks Nice Brown too..

The one in the picture was caught on a jigging spoon. The 12.5 pounder on a floating Rapala, the 10 pounder on live bait. Most of the brown I have caught have been on tip ups in shallow water over rocks. Set them and get out of the area, they are very spooky and I think noise drives them away from the shallow areas. Fish somewhere else while watching the tipups. This year you will probably catch lakers in the skinny water. I got three nice 19-23" browns one day in 6' off Clarke Point.

BIGJim223

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Thanks BigJim. You are the man. Another thing I noticed with catching Lakers. Are there 2 different strains? Some have swiggly lines and some have a lot of dots. And one more thing (don't mind me...lol). When I drill a hole I never see baitfish until I sink my spoon/jig. You think the lure attracts the bait which attracts the Lakers? It's amazing sometimes when ya drill a hole and see nothing, then as your lure drops the top 15-20 ft come alive with bait...

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Mar 23, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Ever have much luck with the browns there? Ive caught more than my fair share of lakers this year,even an occasional walleye..but havnt seen a brown pulled out yet. even when i set my lines right under the ice i only get lakers.  i know there are some big browns in there though

I have 2 Browns out of Otsego on the wall, one 11 Lb and one 12 Lb, both were caught trolling on the east side. My best through the ice here is only 21", that one was out from Glimmerglass.
Browns can be very skittish. Like Jim said, put in your sets early and stay away from them. Shallow water near stream mouths and just under the ice near points are a good place to start!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:11 PM »
I LOVE Big Browns!  :)

Nice fish Jim!

MK

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Mar 24, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Been a few years since I hooked a brown there but most of the time like has been said shallow water on t/u the furthest away just under the ice. Last one I got out of there was 24" didnt weigh it though, weight estimator in the reg booked put it around 5 1/2-6 lbs. They seem to be as scarce as the salmon, last time we caught salmon there we had 6 guys fishing and 5 of us caught one each 4 years ago would love to see a day like that again

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #336 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Slow afternoon trip yesterday.  Managed this slimer at last light. 10" ice out of glimmerglass.  Didnt check shoreline ice.  27"er

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #337 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Nice looking fish....Congrats
Dream Catcher

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Just wondering if anyone's been going out and how the ice is holding up at Glimmerglass. Another thing I was wondering, does anyone use the Gulp minnows to dress up the lure/jig instead of a real minnow? I have a bunch of Gulp minnows. Kinda think they would work, but probly not like the real deal.. Thanks..

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #339 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I use 1" chart gulp minnows to tip my pimples - have caught several that way.

Offline SpoonyLuv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #340 on: Mar 29, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Heres a few from the past couple weeks,  biggest was 29"+, a 26" and a few 23".  The 26" ended up having some plastic lures in its stomach, pretty cool

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #341 on: Mar 30, 2013, 06:43 AM »
the poor things are so skinny they'll eat anything

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #342 on: Mar 30, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Went to Glimmerglass today, for the last time this season. Marked a lot of Lakers. Caught 2 and dropped 2 more at the hole. Sure am gonna miss that place til next winter.........

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #343 on: Mar 30, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Does anyone fish the same area in the summer with good results.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #344 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Does anyone fish the same area in the summer with good results.

3+ times a week, usually!!

BIGJim223

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #345 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Nice meeting you ejp last weekend. Howd the shoreline look today?

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #346 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Big Jim, are you fishing out of GG area and are you trolling with downriggers? Have never fished during the warm months and wondering where to launch etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Dream Catcher

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #347 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Ive caught a  perch   that had  a plastic  worm in its gut  to
so dont know  whats up

smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #348 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Nice meeting you ejp last weekend. Howd the shoreline look today?
Same here Paul23. Shoreline's getting soft. Everything's getting soft. By the time I left today there was quite a bit of slush. Did see a couple guys walk all over the lake today, but I think the clock is tickin on safe ice. I'm done. Can't wait til next 1st ice....Good luck to all. Stay safe!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #349 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Big Jim, are you fishing out of GG area and are you trolling with downriggers? Have never fished during the warm months and wondering where to launch etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Only public launch on Otsego is in C'town. GG has a very primitive launch for kayaks, canoes, and small cartoppers.
  I have downriggers, but seldom use them for lakers. I can jig up 10 fish for every one caught on riggers, plus I am not driving around using gas all day! You will need a <LOT> of anchor line if you are going to jig deep water lake trout! Or a very calm day.....

BIGJim223

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #350 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Thank's  Jim
Dream Catcher

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Apr 02, 2013, 03:31 AM »
Does that creek that runs into the lake out of Glimmerglass hold any trout in the spring?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #352 on: Apr 02, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Does that creek that runs into the lake out of Glimmerglass hold any trout in the spring?

That creek- Shadow Brook- probably gets some trout up in it, especially when the suckers and walleye are spawning, though I have never caught one. I have fished it for years and have never caught a trout from it, though it is listed as a trout stream by DEC, and a friend of mine has caught a couple small browns in the head waters north of East Springfield 15 or 20 years ago. When I was very young (6 or 7 or so, I'm 56) people used to fish it on opening day of trout season at the pools and bridges out of E. Springfield, and my father told me that the state stocked it back then, but I have not heard of anyone catching one in years.
  If it did get any lake run fish, I doubt that they would run very far upstream, as it is very muddy and silty above Glimmerglass. Very slow moving water most of the time. Walleyes, suckers, lots of carp, and large/smallmouth bass spawn in the stream through the spring, though DEC keeps a very good watch on it through the spawning season.

BIGJim223

PS added: The small stream just north of my house is actually called Trout Creek, which runs into Shadow Brook, just south of E. Springfield. No trout in it though, in the 30+ years I have been living next to it.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #353 on: Apr 02, 2013, 11:17 AM »

I electrofished trout out both hayden creek and shadow brook in college, wild rainbows out of both. But I would be carefull fishing those creeks.  DEC has been keeping an eye on things over there after a bunch of walleyes have been taken out of there illegally during spawning the last couple years.  Apparently some locals have taken to netting Otsego's spawning walleyes. 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Apr 02, 2013, 11:36 AM »
  Apparently some locals have taken to netting Otsego's spawning walleyes.

must be because they shut down the catskill creek  :o
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Apr 02, 2013, 04:11 PM »
must be because they shut down the catskill creek  :o
They didn't shut down the Catskill Creek. I called the Lt Encon officer on March 15th just to make sure. It never went thru. Unfortunately at this very minutes there's probly some scumbag down their jackin walleyes.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Apr 03, 2013, 06:02 AM »
They didn't shut down the Catskill Creek. I called the Lt Encon officer on March 15th just to make sure. It never went thru. Unfortunately at this very minutes there's probly some scumbag down their jackin walleyes.

it's an inside joke  ;D

some scumbag that bigred and i both know got busted last year poaching big fat waldos there and was trying to say he was perchin   .... despite being watched by DEC for a few hours and they watched him and his gang walk them back to their car  ....  wonder what a big fat waldo from the hudson tastes like anyway?  ::)

same scumbag posted here on IS about how to use tipups then went and fished the alcove and came back on and posted pics of monster waldos and pike he caught

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #357 on: Apr 03, 2013, 09:53 AM »
it's an inside joke  ;D

some scumbag that bigred and i both know got busted last year poaching big fat waldos there and was trying to say he was perchin   .... despite being watched by DEC for a few hours and they watched him and his gang walk them back to their car  ....  wonder what a big fat waldo from the hudson tastes like anyway?  ::)

same scumbag posted here on IS about how to use tipups then went and fished the alcove and came back on and posted pics of monster waldos and pike he caught

Yep, claims he was only ticketed for tresspassing there  :cookoo:

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Apr 03, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Yep, claims he was only ticketed for tresspassing there  :cookoo:
Ahhh ok. Ya, I live in Coxsackie and know one of those idiots too. He doesn't know that I know...But I know....  ;D

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Apr 03, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Ahhh ok. Ya, I live in Coxsackie and know one of those idiots too. He doesn't know that I know...But I know....  ;D

i think a lot of people say the exact same thing you do  ;)   ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.